Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says:

Quote:
"If you already have houses in the block, you must place the new house next to the one of the existing houses"

Quote:
"In B2, notice that you cannot build your houses as illustrated. If built in the same block, they must connect to any existing houses (unless this is your first house in an opponent's block)."

Are we playing correctly? Can players be permanently locked out of a block? Which effectively means you can eliminate a player from the game? With a lone player city block not being worth any points, the locked out player can't just start a new city, with hopes that the players who locked him out will join. Once players realized they could lock out other players, that became the dominant strategy. Two players would gang up on the 3rd to lock them out of the game (leaving the two players to go head to head, with the 3rd playing kingmaker).

This elimination and kingmaker ending quickly soured the game for our group. So, we houseruled that if you can't legally place next to your own house in a block, you can place elsewhere on the block and start a "split family".

Example of a locked out player:

Were we playing the rules correctly? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cooksey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you were playing correctly, and from my perspective that's a lot of the strategy in the game.

You can also definitely start a new block if this happens to you, and as long as you don't have a huge lead in every aspect in the new block, there is plenty of incentive for the other players to also join you in that block, as they'll get more chances to score with their families in two blocks than if they only had families in one block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
The only incentive is to have your "presence", not to build in the city. The above "locked" out player is the perfect scoring mechanism for the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.