Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi-

Played this a while back, and am just revisiting this great game. Didn't see an FAQ, or revised rules, so I'm kind of assuming that rules ambiguities have never been officially addressed. Can someone point me to the closest thing out there to a rules set that addresses some of the questions that have come up? Is the rewritten SOE file version here the best version for someone to start playing again, and does it address the questions about how to handle a 7, etc.?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
What rules ambiguities are you referring to?

This FAQ is not new, and while the original website where it was posted may not be valid, I found it here in the Files section:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64924/soe-faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand
Quote:
Q: The attacker has no fleets. The defender has no fleets. Is there Naval Combat?

R: A player, (whether attacker or defender), can only gain the naval support bonus if he has at least one naval counter in the area at the start of naval combat.

This may belong to him or an ally. It cannot be gained using an Alliance tile.

Whoever wins the combat gains the +1 bonus, even if their fleet was wiped out. (source: Martin Wallace) So you skip Naval combat and both
players get +0.
This is true except that an allied fleet won't do. Source: Martin Wallace replying to me face to face at a UK games Expo some years ago.

This eliminates the potential paradox where a nation wants to initiate naval combat but then the ally refuses to turn up (as no such agreement is enforceable) which leads to issues as to whether the combat has actually started yet, but more importantly it eliminates a good half hour of wrangling over such things in a potentially very long game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
misteralan wrote:
This is true except that an allied fleet won't do. Source: Martin Wallace replying to me face to face at a UK games Expo some years ago.

Yes, I've been meaning for years to remove this case from SOE Rewritten. The rule is basically nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Quote:
A player, (whether attacker or defender), can only gain the naval support bonus if he has at least one naval counter in the area at the start of naval combat. This may belong to him or an ally. (Source Martin Wallace)

The latter quote is taken from the FAQ file here on the Geek.

So, which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I am the ruler of the Queen's Navy
Polydor wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
A player, (whether attacker or defender), can only gain the naval support bonus if he has at least one naval counter in the area at the start of naval combat. This may belong to him or an ally. (Source Martin Wallace)

The latter quote is taken from the FAQ file here on the Geek.

So, which is correct?
Well Mr Wallace at Games Expo post dates 'Source Martin Wallace' by several years, so I know which I prefer!

In historical terms the idea that naval support could be negotiated on the fly is nonsense in an age where your government could be many months away communications wise. It makes more sense for the Alliance tiles with navies (100% reliable) to be usable this way. Even if another player's navy is usable, there is no guarantee they will honour such a deal! This matters if you wouldn't launch an attack without the naval superiority.

Finally kicking out the option to negotiate initiating naval support from an ally saves about about 20 minutes in an already long game,
but it's mostly that Mr Wallace (now) says so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I take your point, though from asking Martin Wallace similar questions about other games at a number of conventions over the years, his usual response was "I can't remember" or "I think so"!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Run Away Run Away!
Polydor wrote:
Thanks I take your point, though from asking Martin Wallace similar questions about other games at a number of conventions over the years, his usual response was "I can't remember" or "I think so"!!
Well then, should I bump into him again, I'll be sure not to ask him, in case it gets even more confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. cool Love your comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.