Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Aguilar
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of questions at the end.

This is a pic at the beginning of card play on turn 7.

Prior to this turn the Allies had decisively crushed a Japanese army and a half that were in hex 2108 threatening Rangoon. It was one of those 9 to 1 die rolls. It opened the door for an Allied move south. To counter this threat the Japanese then moved massive reinforcements into Phnom Penh and hex 2111.

On turn 6 the Allies needed to move into Indochina to help offset the Progress of War goal failures in the South Pacific. This was a problem as the “Bridge over the River Kwai” event card had not been played and the units that moved further than 4 movement points from Rangoon or were not on the Bay of Bengal coast would be out of supply (I Think) at the end of the turn.

The Allies had the “Slim” card and were desperate. They went ahead and moved into unoccupied Bangkok and Udorn. The Japanese failed to change the intelligence condition so there was no battles. The Allies were going to use their final card to move the 4th Indian Army into Hanoi. The hope was that this could be accomplished and the Progress of War goal could be met. This unit could also stay in supply via Kunming. The Japanese nixed this with a weather card although they would have liked to have used this later on a bigger offensive. The turn ended with the Allies losing a Political Will point for Progress of War and the full strength armies in Bangkok and Udorn were reduced through attrition.

On turn 7 the Japanese put a reinforcement land based air unit and a replacement depleted army in Hanoi to close that door.

I think the Allied units in Bangkok and Udorn are trapped in supply hole that cannot be rectified without basically re-conquering Malaya and much of the DEI.

Do I have it right that these Allied units in those two cities are basically out of the war unless a supply link to them can be reestablished via the South China Sea?

Also,

Do the locations captured to meet the Progress of War Goals have to be in supply to count?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manuel Aguilar wrote:
There are a couple of questions at the end.

This is a pic at the beginning of card play on turn 7.

Prior to this turn the Allies had decisively crushed a Japanese army and a half that were in hex 2108 threatening Rangoon. It was one of those 9 to 1 die rolls. It opened the door for an Allied move south. To counter this threat the Japanese then moved massive reinforcements into Phnom Penh and hex 2111.

On turn 6 the Allies needed to move into Indochina to help offset the Progress of War goal failures in the South Pacific. This was a problem as the “Bridge over the River Kwai” event card had not been played and the units that moved further than 4 movement points from Rangoon or were not on the Bay of Bengal coast would be out of supply (I Think) at the end of the turn.

The Allies had the “Slim” card and were desperate. They went ahead and moved into unoccupied Bangkok and Udorn. The Japanese failed to change the intelligence condition so there was no battles. The Allies were going to use their final card to move the 4th Indian Army into Hanoi. The hope was that this could be accomplished and the Progress of War goal could be met. This unit could also stay in supply via Kunming. The Japanese nixed this with a weather card although they would have liked to have used this later on a bigger offensive. The turn ended with the Allies losing a Political Will point for Progress of War and the full strength armies in Bangkok and Udorn were reduced through attrition.

On turn 7 the Japanese put a reinforcement land based air unit and a replacement depleted army in Hanoi to close that door.

I think the Allied units in Bangkok and Udorn are trapped in supply hole that cannot be rectified without basically re-conquering Malaya and much of the DEI.

Do I have it right that these Allied units in those two cities are basically out of the war unless a supply link to them can be reestablished via the South China Sea?

Also,

Do the locations captured to meet the Progress of War Goals have to be in supply to count?

Thanks,

I have had to read this three times to try and ascertain what the exact question is beyond the close, so I will start there.

Progress of the War has no LOC requirement. All that matters is whether the qualified hex (defined in rules) began the turn in Japanese control and ended the turn under Allied control to count.

If you are playing under what I term "Tournament Play" such as on page 37, left column then victory point hexes do not count if at the end of the scenario there is no LOC to the hex. This may be the source of the confusion.

Now when I look at your very interesting narrative on how things got to the diagram, I surmise that the question is more strategic than rules oriented. It appears that you understand the supply rules and that you are applying them correctly. So, if there is another rules question buried in there you will have to be a bit more specific.

If the strategic question that you are asking, although you seem to have answered your own question, is supply in the circumstances that you describe revolves around the critical role played by Rangoon, the Bridge over River Kwai RR, and Singapore. The short answer as you have already surmised is that drawing supply from the western map edge to the South China Sea requires that you control the Malacca strait which is as true today as it was in WWII. The reason that the Japanese built the RR is to create an alternate LOC that was less dependent on the diminishing JP merchant marine.

I hope that answers your questions, but if not please restate anything that I missed.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For progress of war purposes, supply is not a consideration. Is this a tournament scenario or a campaign scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Aguilar
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark,

Sorry to be so confusing.

Yes my main question was strategic.

I kind of felt it was odd that the Allies couldn't make improvements to the supply line going in the other direction. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Most of the allied construction efforts in that area were used to work on the Hump/Burma Road. Plus, I remembered that the Japanese employed a lot of forced labor to build the RR.

I also wanted confirmation that locations captured for Progress of War didn't need to be in supply to count. I suspected this was the case as supply does not matter for combat. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Aguilar
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Francisco,

Thanks for the answer.

This is a solo 41 campaign game I'm playing without the bot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.