Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
In the published game, if you play a 2 or 3 player game, specific factions are used (UN/MCR for 2, UN/MCR/OPA for 3).

Several people have requested to be able to play 2/3 player with different faction combinations.

In order to do this, the cards need to be selected appropriately so it is reasonably balanced, plus cards that have no factions in play for their event need to be removed.

I've gone through and created specific deck lists for the additional five 2-player faction choices, and the additional three 3-player faction combos.

2-3 Player Game Alternate Faction Card Decks

Designer caveat: These should be reasonably balanced, but keep in mind they haven't been tested. I also haven't tested to see if certain Faction techs become unbalanced with different combos and player counts.

Have fun!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:

Designer caveat: These should be reasonably balanced, but keep in mind they haven't been tested. I also haven't tested to see if certain Faction techs become unbalanced with different combos and player counts.

That's what we're here for. I have a gaming group full of Expanse fans and people who have been eagerly eying us play this game. I'll keep records of the games we play and report back in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question, in 2-player you shut down 4 planets. Do we just open up the ones that need to be opened to place influence properly?

When taking pictures, what I did was move them to planets that would impact the game in the same way as the original planets (just moved one to Ganymede and one to Africa in MCR vs Protogen setup (haven't played yet though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:
Quick question, in 2-player you shut down 4 planets. Do we just open up the ones that need to be opened to place influence properly?

When taking pictures, what I did was move them to planets that would impact the game in the same way as the original planets (just moved one to Ganymede and one to Africa in MCR vs Protogen setup (haven't played yet though).

Ugh. That's an excellent point. I'll need to revise the setup spots for PG and OPA for 2-player games.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the changes required to setup for 2-player games with OPA or Protogen:

If playing a 2 player game, Vesta and Luna are not used, so some setups need to be modified:

OPA: Fleet in Vesta starts in Eros
PG: Influence in Luna starts in Africa. Influence in Io starts in Ganymede

I have uploaded a revised spreadsheet that includes these changes (not approved as of this posting, but should be up soon).

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff,
Any chance we might see solo bots for it, ala COIN games? I haven't received my copy yet (just ordered this morning), so I'm not sure if it would be viable, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Geoff,
Any chance we might see solo bots for it, ala COIN games? I haven't received my copy yet (just ordered this morning), so I'm not sure if it would be viable, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

To be honest, I have very little experience with solo play in general and the COIN bots in particular. I have played around a bit with the bots in Churchill, which I think are somewhat similar.

If someone wants to take a stab at it, that would be neat. But it's not something I'm able to focus on right now, given the effort it would require.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be experimenting with making a solo variant for the game. I made what was a reasonably popular solo variant for Lanterns: The Harvest Festival and developed a 1-2 player COIN based micro game called the Great Micro Game back in 2015. The Solo bot was called K1M (Kipling's 1-Player Mode).

I have a couple of ideas for solo play here I'd like to take to it's own thread and get feedback on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.