Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: Kickstarter is Lilve!
SeerMagic wrote:
Over a year away?

It's lessons learned, basically.

We've underestimated our timelines when working on Guards of Atlantis. October 2018 delivery means we will meet the deadline even if there are some serious delays on the way.

On the other hand, if all goes well, we will deliver Warpgate a couple of months earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:
I hope you'll like what you see!

Oh, and do feel free to ask me any questions

Cheers,
Arty

Click

The game looks great and the JonGetsGames video is on point. My favorite SGs are those that improve components. What do you have in store for that? Box insert? Scientist minis? Thicker cardboard? Plastic tokens? Tricked out 1st Player Marker? UV coating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Backer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with it. looking forward to seeing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: Kickstarter is Lilve! (Ask your questions here).
MAJBrown22 wrote:

The game looks great and the JonGetsGames video is on point.

Yep, I also think that he did a great job showing the gameplay.

MAJBrown22 wrote:

My favorite SGs are those that improve components. What do you have in store for that? Box insert? Scientist minis? Thicker cardboard? Plastic tokens? Tricked out 1st Player Marker? UV coating?

I'd say you've got at least 3 direct hits and one glancing hit there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Alwin wrote:
Backer!

Welcome on board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Best of luck with it. looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you! We do have a few things in store. Now all that's left is to get to that funding goal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kickstarter is Live! (Ask your questions here).
I'm actually glad for the "extended timeframe" of this project. I don't know about other backers, but at one point I was getting a bit gnarly at the delay notifications with Guards of Atlantis (notifications which did not come early but pretty much last minute). This was my only (minor) gripe with that last campaign. So now, hopefully that's fixed.

I haven't plowed through the campaign page yet, but so far everything looks great.

Here's to a great project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why Warpgate?
- (...)
- No dice.

No thanks.

Since when this is something to be listed as an advantage? Is card draw during combat not random? Randomness is determined by mechanics, not components. Sorry but this got me triggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Quote:
Why Warpgate?
- (...)
- No dice.

No thanks.

Since when this is something to be listed as an advantage? Is card draw during combat not random? Randomness is determined by mechanics, not components. Sorry but this got me triggered.

Absolutely an advantage. Guards of Atlantis was amazing with no randomness whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you draw 2 combat cards during combat? If yes, you have randomness right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Libero03 wrote:

Hey!

Our first game was very low on luck (some say it had no luck at all). A lot of players praised that fact, but some players expected a different game and weren't happy as the result. I've heard comments "this needs dice" and I've heard comments "the best thing is that it has no dice!".

We all have different tastes. And there's nothing wrong with dice. If you like dice in your game - that's great! But that also means that you probably won't like diceless combat resolution in Warpgate. Which is also fine. No game is for everyone.

That being said, we would like our backers to know as much about the game as possible, to have the right expectations and not be disappointed in the end.

Cheers,
-Arty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

Absolutely an advantage. Guards of Atlantis was amazing with no randomness whatsoever.

Libero03 wrote:
Don't you draw 2 combat cards during combat? If yes, you have randomness right there.

Warpgate has considerably more randomness than Guards of Atlantis. Saying combat in Warpgate isn't random would be a bit inaccurate.

That being said, you do have a lot of agency in combat in Warpgate.
You do choose that one card to play and trust me, that decision can quite often get rather tricky.
In most dice-based combat resolution systems there's very little agency. That's the main difference.
For some players that's an advantage. Not for everyone of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
After having played two games of Guards of Atlantis instant backing for me!
Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Libero03 wrote:
Quote:
Why Warpgate?
- (...)
- No dice.

No thanks.

Dice are lazy design and will hopefully be driven out of conflict-heavy games by euro-influences.

Drawing multiple options and picking one is a significantly different level of "random" than chucking dice. Especially if the cards are balanced and represent options vs good or bad cards. In the video it appeared that each player had their own combat deck, meaning it also adds a layer of resource management e.g. card a is better but you want to keep it for later. What cards have been used will also impact your decisions e.g. opponent hasn't played the hard counter to this card yet so I keep it or risk it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inconmon wrote:
Dice are lazy design and will hopefully be driven out of conflict-heavy games by euro-influences.

I really think they should be driven out of most games, if we are talking just normal 1d6 dice. The new firefly game is completely ruined because it's a 1d6 roll vs a 1d6 roll. That would be bad 10 years ago. It certainly doesn't fly with how awesome games have gotten over the last few years.

I'm fine with special dice. But yes card play is where it's at. It's why Starcraft is my favorite game of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The d6 is lazy, but the d8 is energetic, while the d10 is truly industrious. Glad that's settled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inconmon wrote:
Drawing multiple options and picking one is a significantly different level of "random" than chucking dice. Especially if the cards are balanced and represent options vs good or bad cards.

Rolling multiple options and picking one is a significantly different level of "random" than drawing cards. Especially if the dice are balanced and represent options vs good or bad dice.

As I said, the game mechanics determines randomness. You can have mechanic where 1s are equal to 6s, just their strength apply to different situations. You can have custom dice. Take War of the Ring (Second Edition). Or Forbidden Stars. It all depends. I don't see how "no dice" can be used as an objective virtue and I don't want designers to resign from them.

Personally I find dice far more superior to cards, because I like the feeling of chucking them, while cards seem fragile and people tend to bend them. But that's just my preference and the overall topic is vast.

But let's get back to the game. It looks interesting and may scratch my itch. I'll look into details soon. Good luck with the campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Quote from War of the Ring review:
"I threw everything I had at it but the dice just weren’t on my side and my combination of Combat cards just wasn’t good enough. Surely, there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to roll those sixes when you need them and watching your army being whittled away with each round of combat."

It's a "6 kill, 1 miss" system. Sooo...

Forbidden Stars (easily my favourite game) has dice in a way that they don't really matter to the point that you could probably remove them with the game barely changing (after obviously either changing the cards referring to rolls or having a deterministic way of determining dice at combat start). That being said - the dice are also the worst part of the game with some (luckily very very few) battles coming down to a re-roll being a 6 ("morale") or not.

Still, Forbidden Stars is probably the best example of dice being part of a battle/combat system and not being completely terrible. Mostly because they are a minor part and the battle is largely card-driven.
There's a reason that most dice games are all about mitigating the impact of dice. Everybody knows the quotes ala "Yea it's dice... but you can mitigate it", "It's not that bad, you can upgrade to get re-rolls", etc.

That being said - I can definitely see ways of using dice in a way that it doesn't make the games actively worse. I just don't see it done in any games that I played or read about - or why bother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Libero03 wrote:

But let's get back to the game. It looks interesting and may scratch my itch. I'll look into details soon. Good luck with the campaign!

Thanks!
It would be interesting to hear your opinion after trying it in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inconmon wrote:
Forbidden Stars (easily my favourite game) has dice in a way that they don't really matter to the point that you could probably remove them with the game barely changing

It's called Starcraft. And for the most part, it's way better than Forbidden Stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.