Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm creating a combat aid for use with the RotE Cinematic Combat and would like input on whether these steps are accurate. I didn't find it easy to figure out when and how certain combat activities took place, but I think I have the steps and timing correct, but I need more eyes on it to make sure. Let me know what you think.

1) ADD LEADER

- Current player first
- Only If no leader with tactic values in the system

2) DRAW TACTIC CARDS

- Each side: pick up all Advanced Tactic Cards

3) COMBAT ROUND

I. Space Battle
II. Ground Battle
III. Retreat
IV. Next Round

SPACE / GROUND BATTLE

1) Resolve Advanced Tactic Cards:
a) Choose 1 card for the theater and place it facedown
b) Turn cards faceup
c) Resolve top or bottom of card (current player 1st)
2) Current player resolves an attack
3) Opponent resolves an attack

RESOLVING AN ATTACK

1) Roll Dice:
- Max: 5 Black, 5 Red, 3 Green
2) Combat Actions:
- Reroll a # of dice up to highest tactic value for this theater
- Spend [DOUBLE-SWORD] dice to remove damage token of same color
3) Assign Damage:
a) Remove dice matching opponent “Prevent” hit icons
b) Assign remaining dice as damage
4) Destroy units with damage >= to health

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't remove destroyed units until both players have acted, so that's not part of the 'resolve attack' step.

Are you going to include the Retreat step?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
"Destroy Units" step is after both players resolve their attack, not during "Resolving an Attack" procedure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. might want to make it more clear you just pick up your draw pile. Your discard pile continues from fight to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ghorro: others have already posted their own efforts to produce a combat aid in the files section. I know that I have commented on at least two of them in an effort to get them in alignment with the general interpretation of the rules. I say this not to discourage you from making your own, but only to point to those as a model for how to phrase your combat aid. Since those have already been revised and commented upon by members of the community, it would save time to use them as your starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just a few suggestions:

- The "Draw Tactic Cards" step is unnecessary with cinematic combat. Your reference to tactic cards in the Space/Ground Battle section is sufficient. Instead, step 2) should be "Play 'Start of Combat' action cards."

- Not sure how much detail you want to include in your aid, but one important caveat to the tactic card resolution order is that the defender resolves his card first if he uses a "Cancel" ability.

- Your "Destroy units" point should be moved to the end of the "Space/Ground Battle" section instead of the "Resolving an Attack" section, since it doesn't happen until both sides have resolved their attacks in a theater.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. This is the updated sequence:

1) ADD LEADER

- Current player first
- Only If no leader with tactic values in the system

2) DRAW TACTIC CARDS

- Each side: pick up unplayed Advanced Tactic Cards

3) COMBAT ROUND

I. Space Battle
II. Ground Battle
III. Retreat
IV. Next Round

SPACE / GROUND BATTLE

1) Resolve Advanced Tactic Cards:
a) Choose 1 card for the theater and place it facedown
b) Turn cards faceup
c) Resolve top or bottom of card (current player 1st)
2) Current player resolves an attack
3) Opponent resolves an attack
4) Destroy units with damage >= to health

RESOLVING AN ATTACK

1) Roll Dice:
- Max: 5 Black, 5 Red, 3 Green
2) Combat Actions:
a) Reroll dice up to highest tactic value for theater, all at once
b) Spend [DOUBLE-SWORD] dice to remove damage token of same color
3) Assign Damage:
a) Remove dice matching opponent “Prevent” hit icons
b) Assign remaining dice as damage

Dan P,
I know the The "Draw Tactic Cards" step is unnecessary with cinematic combat, but the sequence is still valid and this step is referenced in the RotE manual. Unless stated in the RotE manual, I left the combat sequence names and steps numbers intact to make references the manual consistent with the manual terminology and less confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Bobb Feta wrote:
- Not sure how much detail you want to include in your aid, but one important caveat to the tactic card resolution order is that the defender resolves his card first if he uses a "Cancel" ability.

To go into even more detail, defenders resolve their card first if there's a word "cancel" on it; the "cancel" ability itself doesn't have to be resolved.

Ghorro wrote:
Dan P,
I know the The "Draw Tactic Cards" step is unnecessary with cinematic combat, but the sequence is still valid and this step is referenced in the RotE manual. Unless stated in the RotE manual, I left the combat sequence names and steps numbers intact to make references the manual consistent with the manual terminology and less confusing.

I don't have much to add to this, just that I agree with this approach, on consistency grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:

I see major disadvantage for the attacker here. His [DOUBLE-SWORD] dice are worthless in the first step of combat (because defender hasn't shoot yet), and nearly worthless in subsequent rounds (because defender has already destroyed damaged units). Attacker has no real chance of protecting his units. Can someone please explain how is this balanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

I see major disadvantage for the attacker here. His [DOUBLE-SWORD] dice are worthless in the first step of combat (because defender hasn't shoot yet), and nearly worthless in subsequent rounds (because defender has already destroyed damaged units). Attacker has no real chance of protecting his units. Can someone please explain how is this balanced?
Mostly, because the attacker picked this fight, and therefore should have already made sure that all other factors are in his favour.

@ Ghorro:

Last part of "Add Leader" step - play "Start of Combat" action card(s), starting with current player.

I dunno if this is getting into too much detail... I have a version which includes when Rebel Transports run away, shield generators picking up cards, when to play DSP etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mattick
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the current player (is that a fancy way of saying 'attacker') rolls a crossed light saber, do they get to remove damage that results from the defenders die roll? I'm still trying to get my mind around the order of events within a battle. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmattick wrote:
If the current player (is that a fancy way of saying 'attacker') rolls a crossed light saber, do they get to remove damage that results from the defenders die roll? I'm still trying to get my mind around the order of events within a battle. Thank you.

No, you can only remove damage that is already there. There might be damage there from the defender's Tactics Card, so you could heal that. Or damage from previous rounds of battle.

'Current Player' is almost always attacker, but there are some edge cases where the current player really feels like the defender, so they use that term just in case. No matter who moved where or did what, the person whose turn it is rolls first, barring tactics card shenanigans.

Anyway, the order for each round is:

Both choose tactics cards and play them face down.
Reveal them simultaneously.
The current player resolves their card.
The other player resolves theirs.
The current player rolls their dice, and can reroll some if they have a leader. They then remove damage using lightsabers, and apply damage to their enemy.
The other player now rolls dice and rerolls. Then they remove damage using lightsabers, and apply damage.
Anything from either side that has taken enough damage dies.

Then go on to the end of round stuff (retreats, strucures/transports/DSUCs auto-dying etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.