Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe M
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played Unicornus Knights for the first time with six people (I know this isn't ideal) for the first time on Saturday and everyone that played thought the game felt clunky. The resource gathering to move slowed the game to a halt, especially with only three actions/person, most people were spending consecutive turns gathering resources to only move once. I don't think we were misinterpreting any rules, but most of the people that played felt "behind" the entire game. They were either behind the princess or on the other side of the map and didn't contribute to the goal.

The other part that was odd was the lack of participation from a lot of the empire characters. Most stayed in their hexagon for the entire game. I'm not sure if that is intended or just meant to "guide" how you move the kingdom characters and the princess.

I've heard really good things about this game and really want to like it. Please tell me I'm missing something so I can give this game another shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...not entirely sure...though I'm going to agree that I'm guessing six players is really NOT ideal!

Traveling with a large army takes a lot of resources; you definitely only want to stock up in a city where you can get lots of resources with each action. If you are high on troops and not planning on fighting soon, it may be good to send them to an ally who needs them so you can move more easily. If you are at a place where you can easily recruit more troops, don't be afraid to expend your troops to absorb damage.

Several Empire characters are aggressive and will attack you if you are within on area of them.

The Emperor receives a stat boost for each empire character on the board, so you are going to have to defeat enough of them to bring the emperor to a manageable level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
for the first time

All of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
Playing with six is fine but but six NEW players is definitely going to feel clunky.

In particular with 6 players, the actions that each player gets are more limited and teamwork is much more important than in a 3 or 4 player game where you have enough actions to just each kind of be one-man armies.

When playing a 6 player game, probably at least 2 (maybe even 3) people need to be okay with simply playing support. That means avoiding battles, staying away from the front lines, and using the turns to support the front lines by sending troops and resources to where they are needed.

If you blocked an enemy, played useful support cards, and sent troops and supplies when needed, you're contributing even if you weren't spearheading the assault.

Also don't forget that if you are low on resources you can send as much as you want with a single action, so sometimes the best thing to do is actually to send all your troops to someone else, then travel light, then have them send you your troops back.

Most empire characters are not aggressive and thus will not chase you when you stop on the same or adjacent area, but as Brian pointed out, the Emperor's power is based on the number of empire characters on the board, plus he has a defense rating of 2 on his space, plus he has troopers, so leaving more than four or five enemy characters alive is dangerous, and is especially disastrous if the level 3 event card shows up that doubles his power (can easily spike his power into the mid/high teens, making it suicidal for nearly anyone to attack him).

Edits: Typos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo and say that playing ANY game with 6 players (that has turns and Stuff Going On) will feel clunky whatever you do.

Unicornus Knights has a lot of things going on, and it takes a while until you get to the point where everyone knows what to do before their turn comes. Like this:
"I'll collect resources and send five of them to you."
"I'll go two steps, and then recruit."
"Ill [insert whatever]"

For a game like this to run smoothly on 6 players, everyone needs to know the game well enough to be able to form decisions like this very quickly.

That said, if you gathered resources for 3 turns before moving once, you've been doing something very weird. How large armies did you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdjmad wrote:
I played Unicornus Knights for the first time with six people (I know this isn't ideal) for the first time on Saturday and everyone that played thought the game felt clunky. The resource gathering to move slowed the game to a halt, especially with only three actions/person, most people were spending consecutive turns gathering resources to only move once. I don't think we were misinterpreting any rules, but most of the people that played felt "behind" the entire game. They were either behind the princess or on the other side of the map and didn't contribute to the goal.

The other part that was odd was the lack of participation from a lot of the empire characters. Most stayed in their hexagon for the entire game. I'm not sure if that is intended or just meant to "guide" how you move the kingdom characters and the princess.

I've heard really good things about this game and really want to like it. Please tell me I'm missing something so I can give this game another shot.

Keep in mind:

* Your movement cost is equal to the number of Military Tokens you have, then modify based on the space. (Min. 1)

* You start with 10 resources.

* You can send resources to each other (and the Princess).

* Having 1-2 people on high-output Resource spaces that gather and send isn't a bad thing.

* Remember - Aggressive generals will move if someone is in the same, or an adjacent, AREA, which isn't easy to avoid if your board is set up right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
Having 1-2 people on high-output Resource spaces that gather and send isn't a bad thing.

Played 4-player recently where I spent the entire game sitting on one town, just gathering huge piles of resources (and some troops) to send to the Princess and other players nearby. I contributed greatly to the victory, which happened on turn 10, but for a first time player, this might have felt "boring" and they might not want to play again.

Probably a 3-player game is good for beginners because everybody will have lots of actions and plenty to do.

In a 6-player game I could see the near-certainty of at least one or two players not getting involved in a lot of action. It is true, as someone pointed out, that you must "thin out" the Empire characters in order to be able to defeat the Emperor. This could offer "side missions" for excess characters to attempt. After all, you might get lucky on a Fate card and create a huge bonus for the Princess Team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OhBollox wrote:
Quote:
for the first time

All of you?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

The Emperor receives a stat boost for each empire character on the board, so you are going to have to defeat enough of them to bring the emperor to a manageable level.

We definitely played this incorrectly. We read it as Kingdom characters, not Empire characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
lonadar wrote:
Having 1-2 people on high-output Resource spaces that gather and send isn't a bad thing.

Played 4-player recently where I spent the entire game sitting on one town, just gathering huge piles of resources (and some troops) to send to the Princess and other players nearby.

I mentioned this to a couple of players after the game as a potential strategy, and they said "What's the point of that person even playing, if you are just sending resources?" I kinda agree with that sentiment. I will have to try a three player game and see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You'll find 3-player more active for everybody, I'm sure.

In brief defense of the above "strategy" of sitting in one place, our map was really bad for us: we had only one town and other players stuck in mountains, very difficult to move. Therefore, if my character could gather 15 resources and then send them to someone else (4 actions) that was our only viable strategy until we managed to "conquer" a 2-town space in the middle of the map. Unfortunately it was defended by Lylah who is an absolute terror to defeat in battle because she turns all your "null" results on the dice into "skull" results arrrh

Our group tends to play total co-op mode, even if that means one player has a "dull" game, but not to worry, there's always the next game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
jdjmad wrote:
I mentioned this to a couple of players after the game as a potential strategy, and they said "What's the point of that person even playing, if you are just sending resources?" I kinda agree with that sentiment. I will have to try a three player game and see how that goes.

Yeah, I can understand that sentiment. Personally, I still have a lot of fun with this game playing a support role and devoting my attention to trying to plan ahead for things for the whole team, but if your group is mostly folks that want to stay more engaged with the combat aspect, fewer players is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.