Theaty Hannington
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a three player Falling Sky. We were pretty sure a fourth would be along shortly, so we did not run a bot. But then that fourth ended up embroiled in a game of Blood Rage and I was left playing both the Aedui and Belgae. Which was fun! This was the first Falling Sky game for Jedediah, the Arverni, and the first in a long time for Bates, the Romans. So, some rules stuff slowed us down, but we spent 6 hours and got through two consecutive 16 card summers. (I promise I shuffled the cards) And I don’t think that’s too bad, considering Jedediah now gets the game fairly fully, and is ready to play again.

53 BC:
Caesar was slow to get off North to try and save his legions. Instead, he took a capability, then started marching his next chance. Meanwhile, Ambiorix had just enough strength to actually eliminate one legion before Caesar arrived. Then Ambiorix and Caesar played Tag for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, Diviciacus and Vercingetorix rallied and consolidated power. Caesar got close to a win, but Diviciacus let some bad stuff happen to Caesar to make sure the game would continue at least one more year. At the end of the year, the Aedui had 5 allies, which was the same as the other player with the most; so the Aedui did not win, but were close. Winter saw the Germans take two territories and put two allies down, putting Caesar’s supply line in risk if Vercingetorix were to hit the Aedui from the West. (Nearing the end of the year in the photograph below)

52 BC:
Caesar consolidated power in Southern Belgium, then turned back to take on the German threat. Diviciacus and Vercingetorix got into a slap fight that lasted most of the year—the Aedui march and suborn, then get killed by Arverni troops on the next turn—and Ambiorix was concerned with undoing what Caesar did, and colonizing Britannia. Caesar’s invasion of Germany stalled out when Vercingetorix skipped a turn, putting Caesar on a run of bad luck going last on cards—this was a big play, or rather a big non-play, that kept Caesar from an easy victory at the end of the second year. “Jedediah, you ruined everything,” may have come out of Caesar’s mouth at that point. Meanwhile, Diviciacus spent his days suborning Arverni allies with recently marched, single hidden warbands, while Ambiorix destroyed as many Roman allies as he could. Knowing winter was on the way, but not sure when, Ambiorix has a choice: make more allies now, or march in place to hide his troops and prepare them to ambush a potential five legions invasion. This ended up the deciding move, because, surprise, Winter. If Ambiorix had rallied an ally, Caesar would not have won. So, second to last card, Caesar got a full command and battled, knocking out three German allies and all but one German warband. Last card: Vercingetorix didn’t have enough money to spawn allies, leaving the Gallic tribes scratching their heads and unable to respond effectively before the snow falls. But then again, nobody paid enough attention to the Aedui. (End of game photograph below)

At the end, the scores were:
Ambiorix & the Belgae: -7
Vercingetorix & the Arverni: -4
Diviciacus & the Aedui: +1
Julius Caesar & the Romans: +1

That surprise tie! Even the Aedui didn’t pay enough attention to their own score. But Caesar’s last turn, dropping the Germans from 5 allies to 2, meant that the most other was 4 (Vercingetorix), and the Aedui still had their 5. This was the first time I've played since finishing the Gallic Commentaries by Caesar, and boy did they do a great job translating that book into a board game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to play this again. And learn Liberty or Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, that is exactly what happens with Aedui so often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.