Hide
11 Posts

Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shuffling cards into a random nexus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
raven demarco
msg tools
For cards like the threat "That which follows" that have you shuffle it into a random nexus, how are folks handling this?

We have been assigning numbers to each nexus and rolling a die. Then the other night one of the players asked if we should be handling it the same way you handle a master escaping, by shuffling omens in with the card and then putting one in each nexus. I scanned the rulebook but didn't see anything. Maybe i missed it.

Shuffling extra omens in means you don't know where the card went, which feels thematic. It would help counteract the fact that you've been set back an investigation by adding omens, but maybe the point is that you get set back with cards like this. Does it add too many extra omens? Is there an official way to handle it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done that the way you first mention - pick a random nexus using a die and shuffle it in there. I see the point about using omens, that definitely adds a bit more randomness - but that might not be what they were going for in this scenario. Additionally it does throw off the card volume/balance.
I'm not aware of any phrasing in the rulebook that would imply you treat this scenario the same way as an escaping Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the same thing you do: assign numbers and roll a die.

You should not be mixing random omens into all locations. The card is shuffled into a single random location, so you know where the card ended up.

Edit: Too old and too slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specific text of the "That Which Follows" card, so that people don't have to reference it:

That Which Follows

THREAT
Win: Shuffle this thread into a random other nexus.
Lose: Reload this thread into its nexus.

I don't feel like adding omen cards (the number depending on how many nexuses are still open) seems overly generous... but agree that it would be nice to be able to have it randomly placed similar to an escaping Master card, so you don't know which nexus actually receives the card.

Then again, I lost one mission (in part) because of investigating different nexus locations and subsequently having to face this very threat 4 separate times after beating it... so maybe adding extra omen cards to extend the timer on a victory isn't such a bad idea after all?

I'd be tempted to do half omens (rounding up) and the remaining cards as threats, personally. Or maybe this card is intentionally supposed to be in a known nexus, so that you can potentially avoid that nexus until others are sealed? Would love to hear some kind of official ruling.

Edit:
wkover wrote:
Edit: Too old and too slow.

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:
THREAT

I would love to shuffle this thread into a random nexus, given my poor showing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, I was just there with the assist ;)
Luckily no harmful mutation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aviva Schecterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like everyone is all on the same page regarding how to shuffle a card (in this case, That Which Follows) into a random nexus, which is awesome. That's definitely a great question, but the nexuses and missions have a certain number of cards for reasons specific to the mission. Fluffing them up with omens every time you run into That Which Follows would be hella frustrating.

It is correct that the intent is to have the nexus chosen randomly, whatever your method is (at Lone Shark we usually just assign a number and roll a die like has been previously mentioned here), then shuffle only that card into the nexus. Also, don't forget the difference between "random nexus" and "random other nexus"

Aviva Schecterson
Game Editor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
oneiric wrote:
THREAT

I would love to shuffle this thread into a random nexus, given my poor showing.

I wish that was intentional, but am glad it was pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raven demarco
msg tools
Thanks guys. I ran into the same situation oneiric. Which is why when someone brought it up I had to step back and see if this was another instance of this game being different than PACG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danial Pearce
Australia
flag msg tools
AvivaYalla wrote:
Also, don't forget the difference between "random nexus" and "random other nexus"

I came here looking for an explanation of the exact wording above.

I take it to mean the threat will keep jumping to other nexuses while they remain. When you mean this threat in the LAST nexus remaining, and you beat it, the card will be sacrificed? I.e. it won't be shuffled back into this last remaining nexus?

1 game i do remember doing that, forgot about the word "other", faced it 3 times in the last nexus but still won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I played That Which Follows (i.e. that the card jumps to other nexuses when defeated, until there's only 1 nexus left when it gets sacrificed instead). Otherwise, the threat is impossible to defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.