Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Strategy [+] Versus [+] Competitive [+] Teamwork [+] [View All]
Marcus Neels
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all!

I am aware that versus mode has been removed from the game.
I accept and understand the reasoning for it, as the character classes were developed in such a way to support cooperative play rather than to attack each other. And so, without further ado, here is my suggestion to add a mode to the game that allows competitive play among two teams of players.

Introducing the Random Dungeon Versus Mode!

Two teams are set up, with 2 players each. This gives a great sense of competition without having too many players bog down the play time of the session. (Note: it's definitely possible to play with two teams of 3 or even 4, just be aware that this does go beyond the recommended "4 players" Gloomhaven recommends. I am not responsible for any issues it causes with the round structure.) These may be players from the campaign party, with their own unique sets of cards, perks, and items, or they may be fresh-created characters simply for versus mode.

Then each team generates a random dungeon for themselves; while the dungeons will be different, they will encourage adapting and asymmetrical team play. The teams draw their room cards and monster cards simultaneously and reveal them; if the cards are getting the teams to use room tiles or monster sets which they could not use due to the other team either using the same room tile or there not being enough monster standees, then either one team concedes to draw a second card, or, if neither team wishes to concede, they both must draw a second card. Monsters are set up as they would in a regular two player game, at the difficulty level which the players have decided on before the start of the game (note: it is viable to have a higher skilled team play at a higher difficulty level, if one team is much more skilled than the other.)

The teams then progress through the randomly generated dungeon as they would in a regular two-player random dungeon scenario.
Although these are separate dungeons, the round structure is still global; all players on both teams will simultaneously choose their cards and reveal them alongside revealing the monster AI cards for both dungeons. Players and monsters can/will be affected by the actions of players and monsters in the other dungeon, causing interesting situations that may be slightly out of the control of your own team. For example, the elemental infusion table will be globally affected, and thus players and monsters may consume elements that were infused by monsters or players from the other dungeon. The rounds still take place globally as well; monsters that are the same in both dungeons will follow the same movements as they will use the same AI cards and all monsters will still draw modifier cards from the same deck.

In essence, the teams will be taking place in a battle to clear out their dungeon, surviving the best they can, and playing most effectively. The match ends immediately either when one team has cleared out the dungeon, killing all monsters therein, or when one team is completely exhausted and must retreat; but that is not the sole defining factor of who wins the match. Victory is scaled upon which team has the most victory points, as detailed below.

Each team receives +1 victory point for achieving each of the following:
-Was first to complete the dungeon, killing all enemies
-Has the lowest number of exhausted players
-Has the most collective experience points at the end of the match
-Has the most collective gold at the end of the match (in actual "1" and "5" gold tokens)
-Completed the most individual (secret) battle goals at the end of the match

After the victory points have been calculated, the team with the most victory points is declared to be the winner, and the ultimate paragon of true teamwork and adaptation!

Let me know what you all think about this Idea! I'm open to feedback, be it through additional questions about specific instances, or concerns with various aspects of the game, possible variations or tweaks to fix this game mode, results after trying the setup yourselves, or anything else that this suggestion brings to mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely like the idea of competing to be the best dungeon delving team. It seems like a viable alternative to a head to head battle. It might me fun to do a real time version where your taking all turns in real time rather than sharing with the other team. Turn it into more of a race where players will want to go fast but may make tactical errors. As another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Neels
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Matt, thanks for the input!

I personally don't think rewarding players for real-time speed is in order, as being good at the game doesn't entail being fast with your selection and movement of pieces, not to mention actual rules errors like forgetting certain procedures of the round simply because you are rushed.

The main reason the round structure is still set as one round for both teams is to ensure as close an adherence to the original rules as possible. For example, players would need extra components if there were to be two separate elemental infusion trackers.
(In two separate rounds per team, the monsters will behave differently in each dungeon as well as they will draw different round cards which is reason for players to make the excuse of the deck being their reason for a loss.)

I'm glad you like the idea of this versus mode though! I figured that even though direct player vs player was removed from the game, there's no reason that fans can't come up with their own version!
Maybe Isaac will see this thread and look into it as a possible solution to the the PvP quandary he had to face earlier and cut the pvp from the game. Who knows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reasoning is solid Marcus. Definitely strong argument for not going real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sarnowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Man. I thought you were going to have them meet in the the middle room(both doors open once one door is opened) and duke it out in there amidst all the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aminar wrote:
Man. I thought you were going to have them meet in the the middle room(both doors open once one door is opened) and duke it out in there amidst all the monsters.

You would probably have to redo all of the cards, but having a vs mode where you are actually duking it out with this system would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sarnowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
See I was thinking that having a room leading in to weaken scoundrels and other "too good" pvp classes and a kind of pressure switch over what comes through the middle room might balance that. Granted this approach is a really cool way to approach dungeon races. I suspect it could work well given the right setting. It might be too random but its worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.