Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately/fortunately, I've been very busy with University life, so I haven't had much time to keep up with BGG, let alone Legendary and its great community. But, on campus, we have our own D&D club, and one of them played a game with Legendary with me and told me, "Dude! You should encorporate your D&D world into this game! It's totally doable!"

Hearing that, I had never felt so inspired to do something before as I got began working on cards again after about a month of break from it.
And so, after about another month of working on these cards, I have my first set of D&D custom cards/layouts set in the Apocalypse of Winter's Port (the spoiler below will detail what this period in my world is about, read up if you want ).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Set in the large port city of Winter's Port, located along the southern coast of a northern island, the Apocalypse of Winter's Port is a series of seemingly apocalyptic events which take place in and around Winter's Port. This includes the incarnation of Shazzox, the tyrrany of Roktiv, the purge of Mercykiller, and the coming of Shi'Kal. However, all these villains are thwarted thanks to a large mix of different heroes and adventurers who take it upon themselves to stop them.

As you read, these sets will include as follows from top to bottom:

1. Custom map layout
2. New Keywords
3. Heroes
4. Henchman
5. Villain Groups
5. Masterminds
6. LOOT!!

Note: I do have schemes associated with this set, but unfortunately, I'm having problems with exporting them currently. As soon as I have them fixed, I will edit this post accordingly and add them in.

But aside from that, I hope you really enjoy my custom D&D cards which I really encourage you all to go for, because it's endless royalty free content! And you can make whatever you want!
Anyway, enjoy!

Custom Map Layout

Say hello to your NEW base of operations and battleground!

New Keywords
Backstab: This keyword represents Heroes who are willing to commit not so heroic acts if they feel it benefits their situation or the situation as a whole.
- Backstab means, you MAY choose another player. If you do, gain a random card from their hand, then they gain a Wound to their hand.

Hold X: This keyword represents Heroes and/or objects who have the capacity to hold a number of things until you need them.
- Hold X means, instead of playing this, you may place up to X cards from your hand on top of this card. These cards remain there until you take them back to your hand during nay of your turns.
- You must take all cards on that pile if you take one.
- The card with Hold is discarded once you take the cards that were placed on it.

Heroes (Note: the team icons are as follows top to bottom: Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric)

Crimson Five- The Crimson Five are widely known as the guardians of Winter's Port. They commonly act as the port city's go-to garrison when battle reaches its gates.

Elvenwood- Elvenwood is a large elven forest just across the coast which Winter's Port shares good relations with; and there is exactly 4 of these individuals who play key parts in aiding Winter's Port during these harsh times.

Wizard Corps- Contrary to their "eccentric" group name, the Wizard Corps are a serious group of magic users who have a knack for diplomacy over violence, but they do resort to it sometimes. Their high level of influence in Winter's Port has even sometimes woo'ed their enemies over to their side.

Street Lifters- Just your common ragtag group of notorious criminals running all throughout Winter's Port. They are infamously known for stealing a lot of the Artifacts and equipment Winter's Port contains. However, that is exactly why they become as effective as they do in this time of need.

Guardians- Though the Crimson Five are known as the city's guardians, the Guardians serve a similar but more official purpose towards Winter's Port, actively searching for a solution to whatever problems accumulate.

Henchman

Army of Mercykiller

Villain Groups

Plaguelands
x3 copies
x2 copies
x1 copy
x2 copies

Shrine of Shazzox
x2 copies
x2 copies
x2 copies
x2 copies

Underground Guilds
x3 copies
x2 copies
x2 copies
x1 copy

Masterminds

Mercykiller

Roktiv, Head of the Guilds

Shazzox, Apocalypse Minotaur

Shi' Kal, Plaguebearer

LOOT!!!
That's right! How can it be D&D themed if there isn't Loot to gain!?

Loot are new cards which are shuffled into their own deck (Legendary Loot is also shuffled into its separate deck), and placed face-down within reach of all players.
-Loot cannot be recruited, and can only be gained through card effects.
-Loot do not behave like Sidekicks; when you play one, you keep it instead of returning it to its respective deck.

Now, let's see what's in that chest!

Loot (Note: All Loot have 3 copies of each other)

Legendary Loot (Note: All Legendary Loot have 1 copy each)

Schemes
*tumbleweed*

I'm sorry! I'll do better next time Papa! :'(

And with that, you have reached the end of this thread! I hope you all enjoyed looking through these sets of custom D&D cards, and I encourage you to give me feedback on what you think, no matter how graceful or harsh it is!
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former DM of D&D and an actual GM of Pathfinder, this is just wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:
As a former DM of D&D and an actual GM of Pathfinder, this is just wonderful!

I'm so glad you think so! I hope we are able to stick to Marvel most of the time in terms of custom creations, but I hope people who see this thread are inspired to go ahead and create their own out of their fantasy world(s), since it releases their hold on determining how a certain character should be played and lets them make their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fahrbach
msg tools
Only looked at the Crimson Five so far but they seem really overpowered to me. An 8 that is going to be worth at least 8//, plus draw a card of your choice, *and* maybe do that again, seems crazy good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence why I gave it the two fighter requisite. If you think I haven't playtested everything here, then you're mistaken my dude. I've been working on these for a month after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fahrbach
msg tools
SnaerSnare wrote:
Hence why I gave it the two fighter requisite. If you think I haven't playtested everything here, then you're mistaken my dude. I've been working on these for a month after all.

I never said anything about whether you playtested.

Two fighter requisite to get the power again, but without it, you still get ~8 slash plus the card of your choice. Call that card just 3 slash, ~11 slash for an 8-cost guaranteed, no triggers, seems really strong. I think being able to do that again with a 2-fighter trigger may be over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forrester wrote:
SnaerSnare wrote:

I never said anything about whether you playtested.

Two fighter requisite to get the power again, but without it, you still get ~8 slash plus the card of your choice. Call that card just 3 slash, ~11 slash for an 8-cost guaranteed, no triggers, seems really strong. I think being able to do that again with a 2-fighter trigger may be over the top.

What 8 slash? The slash base on the card is 3.

Did you zoom on the image or did you mistake that 3 for an 8?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fahrbach
msg tools
No, I added my guess at the average cost of the card that's fetched.

A lot of the cards are ridiculous in my opinion. A rare that costs 8 that is essentially "Buy a 5-cost card. Draw 5 cards". A 2-cost 3-slash that has no real drawback and in fact ends up helping the other cards of the character, etc. If the villains were ramped up maybe that'd work, but I see Masterminds with single-digit toughness.

So beautiful cards and great ideas for powers, but overall, unbalanced IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forrester wrote:
No, I added my guess at the average cost of the card that's fetched.

A lot of the cards are ridiculous in my opinion. A rare that costs 8 that is essentially "Buy a 5-cost card. Draw 5 cards". A 2-cost 3-slash that has no real drawback and in fact ends up helping the other cards of the character, etc. If the villains were ramped up maybe that'd work, but I see Masterminds with single-digit toughness.

So beautiful cards and great ideas for powers, but overall, unbalanced IMO.

I remember a thread was made about this exact topic including the playtesting of cards and how people's opinions becomes justified.

A lot of what was talked about was instead of actually playing a game with any of the cards, most people take one glance and judge it's effectiveness immediately just by their instinct.

I say this, because from the way it sounds, you haven't taken the time yourself to play a game with these either.
Now, let me be clear, I'm not criticizing you or anything like that, I'm simply stating that I think you should find time to play a game or two with all or some of these cards before you make your decision; because as I've said, I've playtested these for a whole month that I've been working on them, and I think you should too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forrester wrote:
A lot of the cards are ridiculous in my opinion. A rare that costs 8 that is essentially "Buy a 5-cost card. Draw 5 cards".

To answer your concern about this card, I recommend you take a look at Groot's Rare. It's a 5* card which gives you shards equal to the cost of the next Hero you recruit. It works almost the same way but gives you /// you can use on any of your turns instead of draw 5 cards directly.
Wouldn't that be just as broken?

I always take into account the official cards of the game when I make these cards and if there are any official Heroes that I can compare my customs too. Groot was one of them for my Elvenwood Hero Group.
So, if you want to call my cards unbalanced, then you might also just call UD's official Heroes unbalanced as well, since several of my Heroes can be compared to actual ones.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
P.S. I'm sorry if I come across as hostile in any way, and that is not at all my intention. I'm just trying to explain my reasoning behind why the Heroes work the way they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fahrbach
msg tools
I don't mean to be hostile either . With a friend I've developed our own set of a lot of heroes, Villains, etc, over the last two years, so I have a good feel for the proper 'costs' and I feel quite strongly that a 5-card draw is broken even if you didn't get to recruit a thing. I would much rather have 5 cards than 5 Shards. Compare, for instance, to Beast's Uber, which is 4 slash, and a hard (but quite possible) trigger that gets you 3 cards. She's getting one more money and probably 2 more cards, on average, with no trigger.

We probably agree that the Guardians set has one of the strongest sets of heroes (and Villains) -- I lean towards powerful Heroes as well and try to balance them against the Guardians guys. I think that many of your cards leave them in the dust, though. That might be okay if you buff up your Villains, but they don't seem to be very tough.

-- EDIT -- looking through more of the heroes, I definitely think that the rares are over the top and there are 2-3 of the lower cost that I think are overpowered, but most of them I think are just good, Guardians-level folks. So I'm sorry if I came off as too judgy about the whole set -- some of the rares really threw me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.