Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a copy of Steve Jackson's version of Port Royal and in a review about Port Royal (pre Steve Jackson print run) the reviewer mentioned a variant where in addition to getting 12 points the player must also have in their possession an expedition (now known as Mission).

However, that variant isn't listed in the SJG version, is it a good variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Never played it this way but I think it just places an unnecessary limit on the different ways of getting to 12 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, theoretically, play forever before a Mission card pops up, so that kind of put it off for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh? maybe I should remove the "Mission" cards? I can see that an engine can be built easily without the need of mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Huh? maybe I should remove the "Mission" cards? I can see that an engine can be built easily without the need of mission cards.

Why would you do that?
Lots of the cards in game rely on mission cards to provide value.

Personally, I don't think the variant you mention is a big deal... use it if you want, or don't, and it's unlikely to change the game much beyond slightly increasing the value of cards that help complete missions.

But to remove the mission cards entirely would change the game in a bad way, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original version the option with obligatory expedition (mission) is the normal way to play and the option when expedition is not necessary is a variant. I usually play the way that you have to have an expedition to win. It adds the tension to the game. I played the game more then 30 times and never experienced that no expedition came out. Actually I can't remember a game where there were less than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pemik wrote:
In the original version the option with obligatory expedition (mission) is the normal way to play and the option when expedition is not necessary is a variant. I usually play the way that you have to have an expedition to win. It adds the tension to the game. I played the game more then 30 times and never experienced that no expedition came out. Actually I can't remember a game where there were less than 3.

No, but it can prolong the game quite a bit. You don't only have to have an Expedition show up, but also the right people needed for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can prolong the game but not much and I've never felt that playtime was a problem. Situations when players passed the VPs threshold and everybody is waiting right expedition/people is not common.

I don't want to say that playing Port Royal this way is best for everybody since different people have different tastes. What I want to say is that playing with obligatory expedition is 100% ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This option is available on yucata.de and I do not think it adds anything to the game. It can slightly increase the length and it makes the cards necessary to complete the expeditions slightly more valuable.

More than anything it just changes the emphasis on which cards you need to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Larsen

N Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
We think it's a great variant.

The fact that all of the 'missions' might not show makes the 'less desirable' cards (which you trade in for them) all the more important in the variant game, as you can't bank on a certain 'mission' showing (though, statically, getting the settlers is a good bet). The variant adds some interesting tactical play: do I buy a 'less desirable' card now because it might help with a 'mission'--or do I try and save for a 'more desirable' card only to find that I miss my chance when I try to buy the cards after it shows because someone else is ready to pounce (this, of course, becomes less of a problem the fewer players there are).

We think the mission requirement adds a lot, though we play both ways.

Edit: for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted I've only played this once so far, but it seems that one would almost have to have completed a mission to get the number of VP to win. Or I guess the game could just go on for a long time...

That said, I plan on playing this with the original Händler der Karibik rule requiring completed Missions in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue with the "obliged mission rule" is, that missions are powerful due to their cheap VP, anyway. So in most games, the winner will have obtained a mission, whether it was a win condition or not. If somebody wins without, it's normally rather because the missions or characters really did not pop out on the turns, (s)he was able to get them. I don't think, you should punish people, who got to the threshold of 12 VP fast enough to compete with missions in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
My issue with the "obliged mission rule" is, that missions are powerful due to their cheap VP, anyway. So in most games, the winner will have obtained a mission, whether it was a win condition or not. If somebody wins without, it's normally rather because the missions or characters really did not pop out on the turns, (s)he was able to get them. I don't think, you should punish people, who got to the threshold of 12 VP fast enough to compete with missions in other ways.

Hence, variant. Currently I am playing the way it's written in the SJG version which is no mission card needed but I have won by getting mission cards so for me it doesn't really matter, I am always going to be going for the mission cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.