Wasteland Express Delivery Service» Forums » Rules

Subject: Big Dig question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sidelmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
We played for the first time yesterday, and we were wondering if it's possible for a player to find and deliver a treasure, and then find a second treasure and just drive around with it in order to keep it from the other player(s). Does anybody know if that's a legal strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine this goes against the spirit of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
I would imagine this goes against the spirit of the game...

But a valid question!

Might need an errata to where you can't dig once you find a Treasure marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is not in the rules that you cannot do this, it definitely should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
It's an onion.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterDK wrote:
We played for the first time yesterday, and we were wondering if it's possible for a player to find and deliver a treasure, and then find a second treasure and just drive around with it in order to keep it from the other player(s). Does anybody know if that's a legal strategy?

I can't imagine any sane play group that would allow that to happen. I thought I read somewhere, but I am probably mistaken, that you could only dig up 1 treasure.

Regardless, no, not a legal strategy because it is bending an unwritten rule to become "that guy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
PeterDK wrote:

I can't imagine any sane play group that would allow that to happen. I thought I read somewhere, but I am probably mistaken, that you could only dig up 1 treasure.

Regardless, no, not a legal strategy because it is bending an unwritten rule to become "that guy".

Take that mechanics are prevelant in a lot of games. Being that guy could also be called trying to win, which is pretty much the point of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Take that mechanics are prevelant in a lot of games. Being that guy could also be called trying to win, which is pretty much the point of the game.

But those game are clear up front about whether they are a "take that" game or not. WEDS is not such a game.

Either way, we got our official response. A player is not allowed to collect a second treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

But those game are clear up front about whether they are a "take that" game or not. WEDS is not such a game.

Either way, we got our official response. A player is not allowed to collect a second treasure.

Which is why the rules should be more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very surprised if the person who tried that would win, so it seems pretty pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
It's an onion.
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

The point of games for a lot of people is to have fun. Not just to win. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

They're playing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

I guess you missed the words "pretty much" in my comment.

Each game has a goal or objective. 9.9 times out of 10, that goal or objective is to win. (or at least the goals or objectives allow you to win, if completed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.