Subject: Another Galaxy Quest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some time, I've been looking for a sci-fi game that emphasized exploration and discovery. I'm a great fan of Star Trek, and I love the recent Star Trek games such as Star Trek Ascendancy from GF9. But the latter cannot be played solitaire--an important consideration for me--and while it has exploration and discovery elements, the core of the game is around the competition between different civilizations, combat, and so on. Fun, but it doesn't quite scratch the exploration itch for me.

That's why I'm excited about Expedition Zetta which, without making any reference to Star Trek, is in some ways the most Star-Trek-like game on the market (or hopefully en route to market). Especially with the addition of xenoarcheology and the potential encounter with other space-faring alien civilizations, this game checks off all the boxes for a discovery-centric, universe-exploration experience. And just as crew interaction is so important to Star Trek narratives, the designer of this game has included a fun and meaningful mechanism for crew interactions here, (including romances!).

And it has two different solitaire modes of play. How cool is that?

When the movie Galaxy Quest came out, it was lauded as one of the best Star Trek movies ever, for even though it wasn't classic Trek, it captured the spirit of that series (much as the new TV show The Orville is doing now). In a similar way, as far as the feel of things goes, Expedition Zetta may actually turn out to be the best Star Trek game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has intrigued me because it is "realistic SF" and is midway between simulation and game. Being modular and solo-multiplayer makes it more interesting. The modularity may be a little confusing, but the explanations in the KS update have been quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I'm really hoping that this one funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I have not had the time to compare this one to Stellar Leap. How do they differ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stellar Leap is a game of competing alien civilizations in which, though exploration, economic, and tech development, a player's civilization gains prestige. The player with the most prestige at the end wins.

In Expedition Zetta, all players are part of a single crew, though divided by country of origin with each country having its own space ship for planetary exploration once a star system is reached. There is a semi-cooperative element involved in which players, as crew, can help each other while still trying to gain the most honor and fame for their home country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DSpangler wrote:
I'm a great fan of Star Trek, and I love the recent Star Trek games such as Star Trek Ascendancy from GF9. But the latter cannot be played solitaire-.

Have you played Star Trek: Frontiers its great solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Colin. Yes, I have played Star Trek: Frontiers, both solo and two-player. It's a good game, too, and one I enjoy. There are times, though, when I want to play a space exploration game that's not as combat-oriented and is more discovery-focused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.