11 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: What other games are there that are similar to this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
As far as I know,there's Twilight Imperium and Runewars and this one has the more favorable runtime.

But I want to know what other games are out there. I am considering Runewars, it is high on my list currently but I just like to know the other options so I can compare because I prefer not to buy too similar games, not yet at least since my collection isn't that big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game had some similar vibe to it, but I haven't played to say for sure. Beyond that, I'm not sure there are many other games out there that quite do what Runewars is trying to do (other than maybe it's long-out-of-print predecessor, Battlemist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I've heard that Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game had some similar vibe to it, but I haven't played to say for sure. Beyond that, I'm not sure there are many other games out there that quite do what Runewars is trying to do (other than maybe it's long-out-of-print predecessor, Battlemist)

D&D:CON is much more akin to Axis and Allies with a Fantasy theme than Runewars. I've played it handful of times and found it slightly unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars has some similarities, not that many, but selecting orders gives a bit similar feel, movement works similarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game is a little bit of a different beast, lots of dice chucking in it, it has a questing aspect to it like Runewars. I enjoy as a 2 player, too much downtime otherwise. Forbidden Stars has a similar complexity, and more similar feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want be epic build a map and fight over it games: (in order of how I like them, only games I've played/owned)

1. Twilight Imperium 4th ed
2. Forbidden Stars
3. Runewars
4. Star Craft
5. Star Trek Ascendancy

Runewars is unique in that you have heroes and armies. Many have a euro structures driving the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding a game like Runewars would be challenging. Runewars has a bit of empire building, a bit of army battles, a bit of heroic adventure and a bit of politics. Plus it has four unique forces. I don't think you are going to have an easy time finding another game like it

That said, Scythe comes to mind. It's not my favourite game, but it seems to meet some of the criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Warrior Knights? It was made by FFG but dropped when they parted ways with GW. You may still be able to find a copy of it, but I would highly recommend the expansion. I really like Warrior Knights a lot. It doesn't have the Fantasy aspect of Runewars, but it certainly has the battles, politics and empire building aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
How about Warrior Knights? It was made by FFG but dropped when they parted ways with GW.

It was dropped well before this. Good recommendation regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Brian T wrote:
How about Warrior Knights? It was made by FFG but dropped when they parted ways with GW.

It was dropped well before this. Good recommendation regardless.

It is still one of my favourites! I really like how it handles activations. Your choice of actions and when to play them is really important, and you can not ignore any one aspect of the game or you will be crushed! Being voted out of the assembly, or not being able to afford an expedition, or not having enough money set aside to pay your troops... so many things to consider in that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! It does look like Runewars remains the best choice.

It does bother me a bit that heads look a bit smal on some of the miniatures, out of proportion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.