Subject: I got a good deal on this! Now 0-2 with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilda Griffon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
So first the good news: I got a like-new copy of Defenders of the Realm with Hero Expansions 1-3 for $49.99 including shipping.

Now the bad news: with one other player and I have now played twice and lost both times to tainted crystals.
We've been playing the "choose your hero" variant of standard rules, which I realize make the game easiest for 4. First time I was the Wizard teamed up with the Thief. Thief was underpowered, but I was teleporting around the board to wherever there were 2-3 minions of the same color and fireballing them as 2 of my actions. We still managed to lose to tainted crystals in mid-war.
Second time, I was the Eagle Rider and my partner was the Adventurer, whose huge hand of cards was a huge help against generals. She was walking around or spending horse/eagle cards to go around fighting and healing the land, while I followed the same strategy I had as the Wizard.
So what are we missing? How do you beat this game when smaller player counts are balanced against you?

Well, one more bit of good news: my most common gaming partner said this is now one of her two favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this game 2 player 1 hero each, and find it to be a great challenge too.

I do not think we have lost to crystals so far, but we have lost due to the many other trials you have in this game. The red general being our complete bane during most of our plays.

My wife loves to play the sorceress, while I have been dabbling in different heroes almost every time.

I hope you continue to push on, the first win we had in the game felt like the end of lord of the rings... quite epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play this two player (and I often have), I just play normal rules and we play two characters each. It's a lot of fun to have two characters' special abilities to coordinate, and the game works very smoothly with 4 characters total.

I can't guarantee you won't lose to taint crystals, but I think you'll have more fun while it happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have not played a lot, but have won about half of our games. It has been awhile, but I remember the Sorceress being REALLY strong. Her ability to shapeshift is amazing, but her ability to easily complete quests become what really made her take off. Once she got a few quests under her belt (depending on the very lucky nature of the quests of course) she could become really overpowered. Our games where we won were games where she was a holy terror on the board (being played by my wife) and I was just trying to pick up table scraps.

I would usually be playing Ranger or Eagle rider, which both felt much weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are constantly losing to tainted crystals, it sounds like you have tons of enemies on the board...

I've never had that much trouble with crystals which makes me wonder if you are playing the rules wrong. (Like placing enemies for cards that are only supposed to cause generals to move?)

Or you could just be unlucky (there is a fair amount of luck in this game).

Keep up the good fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
atticus wrote:
If I play this two player (and I often have), I just play normal rules and we play two characters each. It's a lot of fun to have two characters' special abilities to coordinate, and the game works very smoothly with 4 characters total.

I can't guarantee you won't lose to taint crystals, but I think you'll have more fun while it happens

I never played this but those sound terrifying. Like next-level kidney stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilda Griffon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
UPDATE: I think we were playing the overrun rules wrong. I was allowing overruns during setup, which is a harder variant in the rules, and when overrun entered a space that already had 3 minions, I was placing adding a minion to each non-tainted space connected to THAT space, but it doesn't chain like that.

For my third game, I fixed that and gave each hero an extra life token. The Sorceress and Druid quickly killed Gorgutt in his starting space, then ran around healing the land and doing minion control until Varkolak was next to Monarch City. We had enough black cards to defeat him in mass combat. My hand was about half black and half blue at this point, so we quickly took on Sapphire on her starting space. Then there were a tense couple of turns of Late War as we weren't equipped to handle Balazarg, but by the time he was next to Monarch City, we each had a copy of Battle Luck and pulled out enough dice to defeat him. It was tight, as Balazarg's power made the Druid roll 3 1s out of 7 dice, but the Sorceress was 0 for 7!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!!!BALAZARG!!!angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.