ET Bechara
Brazil
flag msg tools
I just watched a review regarding the second expansion on YouTube and was wondering which of the 8 resolution tile(s) sounds more interesting in your opinion?

Vote here!
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll1887813x3B83c1f4-51

I. Land Rush
In this game, mechs are limited to transporting at most 1 worker (they may transport unlimited resource tokens as usual). If one of these things is true about a player when they complete their turn, the game ends:
1. They control 10 or more different territories.*
2. They have all 6 stars on the Triumph Track.
*Traps and the bonus territories from Flags & the Factory only count for end game scoring.

II. Factory Explosion
The first player to have 5 or 6 stars on the Triumph Track during their turn will gain $5 and complete their turn. Continue playing until each player has taken 2 more turns.
At the end of the final turn, the Factory explodes, forcing all units (except airships) on the Factory and on each of the 6 adjacent territories to retreat to their home bases (resources, tokens and structures remain). In memoriam, each player gains 1 popularity for each of their retreating units (you cannot gain a popularity star for this).

III. Spoils of War
Whenever a player places a star on 1 of the 10 categories on the Triumph Track, if it is the first star on that category the player gainns $5.
If one of these things is true about a player when they complete their turn, the game ends:
1. They have at least $40.

IV. King of The Hill
The first time each player controls the Factory at the beggining of their turn, they may place a star on this resolution tile (max. 1 star per player).
After a player places their 6th star and completes their turn, no more stars may be placed on this resolution tile. Play continues until each player who has a star on this resolution tile takes 1 final turn, then the game ends.

V. Déjà Vu
The first time all accessible tokens have been removed from the board, reset them on each encounter territory not occupied by a character.
If one of these things is true about a player when they complete their turn, the game ends:
1. They removed the final accessible encounter token (after the reset).

VI. Mission Possible
During Setup, reveal 2 random objective cards from the deck and place them next to the Triumph Track. Players may achieve the revealed objectives on the Triumph Track.
After a player has placed 6 stars, each other player takes 1 final turn, but they may not move units.

VII. Doomsday Clock
The game ends after each player has taken 20 turns. Keep track here with any spare tokens.

VIII. Backup Plan
The first player to place their 6th star on the Triumph Track completes their turn and the game ends. Each player calculates their final score (keep final scoring coins separate). If the player who triggered the end of the game has the highest score, the game is over. If not, all players must discard their final scoring coins and each take 1 more turn (that player goes last). Then calculates the real final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factory Explosion has the most exciting-sounding name.
But I think Spoils of War sounds most interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with the Doomsday clock, I placed the 6th star on turn 18 an was annoyed that there were still two turns left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these feel a little fiddly.

For example, the wording of the factory one. "the first person gets 5 or 6 stars during their turn". Why not just the first person to get to 5 stars on their turn? Since you have to go through 5 before you get to six unless you are in some weird monty python parody. And then marking that player and counting out two turns. I am probably missing something here or an edge case.

Had to read king of the hill about 3 times to understand it. Maybe I am just slow.

I would be very worried about forgetting to add tokens to the doomsday clock one, messing up the count.

Backup plan is just a nightmare for me, as counting up final score is easily my least favorite thing about any game. Having to do it twice while carefully keeping the extra scoring coins separate in the first count sounds really bad (for ME, I am sure others may love it).

They are interesting, but maybe not for me. They don't seem to impact the game enough, but I also don't get Scythe to the table enough so I am by no means itching to get more little wrinkles like this.

The other thing is that it seems like these would mostly speed up the game a little? As most of them appear to add a new way to end the game before the 6th star, and then still have the 6 start ending condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think adding a little fiddliness is the point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I think adding a little fiddliness is the point

Probably. For me the whole reason I like Scythe is that it is one of the least fiddly dudes on a map game I have.

Fiddly is super hard to explain for me what it means, but I see it as the opposite of elegance. Resources on the table not in a separate pile by the player feels very elegant, the way the player boards work and show you the rules based on what is covered and what is uncovered feels very elegant, the whole graphic design in general, the boiling down of units into two main types. Fighty dudes, and not fighty dudes, with some minor bonuses to the character model vs a mech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, for factory explosion, if a player is the first to get their 5th and 6th star will they get 10 coins? "Be the first to get a 5th star: gain 5$" or "be the first to get a 6th star: gain 5$" Since it's not a choice, I see both as being obtainable.

For mission Possible, are those objectives still available after someone else completes them? Also, will this objective be in replace of the objectives your holding? (Edit: not replace, I know you still get your two secret objectives but out of all 4 objectives, are you still only able to complete one of them?) Rule still stands that you can only place one star for an objective (unless your Saxony), right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
I read the 'or' as indicating that the one time payout happens when you hit the fifth star either alone or on the way to six. It might have been worded differently, but it covers the case of getting two stars together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I really do not like is 'Backup Plan'. Way too complicated and why? This is probably the only one I would consider removing.

Agree it is redundant to say '5 or 6' stars for 'Factory Explosion'.

If these are going to be used to decide the end game randomly, I would like to have a 9th card for 'Original Endgame - once a 6th star is placed, the game ends'. I still like the vanilla rule and it should be included in a random draw of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ET Bechara
Brazil
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
I was thinking, for factory explosion, if a player is the first to get their 5th and 6th star will they get 10 coins? "Be the first to get a 5th star: gain 5$" or "be the first to get a 6th star: gain 5$" Since it's not a choice, I see both as being obtainable.

I understand that you will only gain $5. The reason they mentioned both is probably because it is pretty common to drop 2 stars at once in your last turn.

ACGalaga wrote:
For mission Possible, are those objectives still available after someone else completes them? Also, will this objective be in replace of the objectives your holding? (Edit: not replace, I know you still get your two secret objectives but out of all 4 objectives, are you still only able to complete one of them?) Rule still stands that you can only place one star for an objective (unless your Saxony), right?

Yes, they still available for everyone and you are allowed to complete one of your secret objectives. This means you can place 3 stars based on objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Absolutely agree the original should be included as a random draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion some of the options fall into the category of either "likely to have minimal impact, so just add extra rules for no real gain" (e.g. V. Deja Vu), or "are too complicated/confusing without a clear gain" (e.g. VIII. Backup Plan).

The most interesting to me are Spoils of War (would encourage players to go after different objectives, or add a bit of a calculation as to whether you can get there first), Mission Possible (I like the shared objective as a small, added variance to each session), and Doomsday Clock (I think having a set number of turns is a simple rule change that would create a different calculation and play experience). That being said, I don't know why these all have to be "resolution" tiles, and can't just be changes to the game without specific regard to modifying the game-ending criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
HexStarDragon wrote:
II don't know why these all have to be "resolution" tiles, and can't just be changes to the game without specific regard to modifying the game-ending criteria.

I would imagine it is because the main complaint people seemed to have when the base game just came out was about the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point was that some of the resolution conditions change some of the gameplay but seem really unlikely to change the ending condition, or change it in an unnecessary way. The two could be decoupled.

For example, does anyone imagine a game actually ending by removing every encounter token, twice, before someone is able to get a 6th star? And, if you want that to be a different victory condition, then why not remove the original, 6-star condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Spoils of War yesterday and that one is really interesting!

It changes the game a lot as you have to change your standard strategy (development + expand) into "where do I want to develop?" or "do I have the time to expand as he/she is one mech away from gaining the (first) star?"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Ledbetter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
"King of the Hill" seems like it could dramatically incentivize combat, especially near the end of the game, thereby significantly changing power track strategies and shaking up preconceived faction advantages. I will probably force into my next game for these reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.