Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting game. As the 'experienced' player (I can corral opponents as much as twice a year for a Railways game). I was intentionally hanging back a bit but first turn there was a Special Delivery card for Hull with a yellow cube only 1 link away and I should have stressed how important it was, I didn't bid because didn't want to leap ahead. Four plus Railway Era Opens first delivery plus the one delivery allowed that first player to leap ahead.

redtrainPlayer One - Won the first turn bid. Gradually expanded a network that began with Whitby-Hull with the four point bonus for delivery to Hull. He stretched west to Leeds/York then north as far as Newcastle and south to London for some long red deliveries. He won the game with a single bond. .
greentrainPlayer Two - Built a very tight and circular network based on Liverpool-Preston-Stoke-Manchester-Liverpool eventually with a northern branch to Carlisle and southern stretch through Hollyhead and Swansea to Cardiff. He also had a short eastern stretch to Sheffield-Leeds/York. His Liverpool based circuit allowed him to add links to otherwise short deliveries. Made good use of the urbanization operations cards to upgrade Chester-Stoke that area was abuzz with activity for most of the game, his northern and southern reaches were fairly late in the game. Second place.
purpletrainPlayer Three - Appeared to lag a bit for most of the game but came from a good distance behind and ended up with a third place finish close to second. He had the Baron card for points for links into London and started out establishing his bonus card points with several short links into London. He took awhile to upgrade and make longer deliveries but came from behind with completion of the Plymouth-Dover major line and was first into the southwest so was able to make to make some long deliveries out of Plymouth and Barnstaple.
yellowtrain Player four (me) - I started with a Gloucester-Birmingham link as there were a number of red cubes in Birmingham and a couple blues and a purple in Swansea. I spread south to Swansea then reached east to Norwich. I came in last. In my defence, as the only experienced player and teacher I spent a lot of time helping the others with strategies and rules implications rather than analyzing the positions and identifying best moves. One of my pet peeves is people who crush opponents while ostensibly teaching the game. This is my story and I am sticking to it.

Observations
d10-1 I was in the geographic middle of the players and I recall that I was the only one to lose a number of cubes that I had planned to deliver. All three players reached into cities and took cubes that I was 'saving' for longer deliveries. Otherwise I think only Players One and Two poached a single cube from each other in the Leeds/York area.
d10-2 Stress importance of first player bid to balance the random opportunities of the operations cards.
d10-3 Must explain multiple times that a cube must stop at the first city of the appropriate color.
d10-4Players commented a few times on the restricted ability to build a railroad, with no very sharp turns or "Y" junctions. I just explained that it was part of the tactics of the game and why players might have to expand and reach out to a city sooner than they would prefer.
d10-5The Railroad Inspector cards are out of character for the game. They are the only direct 'Take That' element and in my opinion detracts from the experience. I am going to take them out of the deck for any future plays.

+++++
Update. We played the 2013 Railways of Great Britain version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.