Hide
17 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: What state do you think Brimstone is set in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Caine
msg tools
A question perhaps for native inhabitants. What state you think Brimstone is set in? Or given the fluidity of state lines during the American frontier period, does Brimstone exist in one of those in-between moments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arizona Territory, not yet a state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would venture to guess Texas, Nevada, possibly Arizona or New Mexico.

According to this site: http://gamblinghistory.info/gamb1852.htm
Gambling was outlawed in 1885 in California so its likely doesnt take place there as there is several places that you are allowed to gamble. It would also eliminate Utah from the possible locations.

Based on the map in the adventure book, it wouldnt be out of the question for it to be as far north as South Dakota with its Badlands and Mesas.

Im sure there are subtle clues from items in the game and the characters but I am not versed enough in such things to draw a conclusion. I'm sure if one could identify the tribe(s) the Indian Scout and the Dark Stone Shaman are from, that would be the biggest clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
A question perhaps for native inhabitants. What state you think Brimstone is set in? Or given the fluidity of state lines during the American frontier period, does Brimstone exist in one of those in-between moments?

Most but not all of the possible states don't become states until after Nov 1st 1889.

The Lost Legion's background suggests New Mexico, Texas, California or Arizona.

New Mexico and Arizona don't become states until 1912. They are also my best guesses for where Brimstone is.

jurney85 wrote:
I'm sure if one could identify the tribe(s) the Indian Scout and the Dark Stone Shaman are from, that would be the biggest clue.

Stereotyped Cowboy movie Apache I think. Which fits Arizona or New Mexico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Mt La Terra would only be found in Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Mexico or Arizona territories. Nothing else really fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bloom
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think it's anywhere specific. Just generic stereotypical wild west setting. I seriously doubt FoFo will be any specific province in Japan too. Just generic stereotypical feudal setting. I don't think they want to be too specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the general look and feel, it seems more Arizona Territory rather than New Mexico Territory.

In general, it's roughly the area bounded by a triangle from Silver City, New Mexico to Tucson, Arizona to Phoenix, Arizona.

Towns that represent a lot of the theme include Tombstone and Tucson (Az), Silver City and Pinos Altos (NM), and Globe (Az).

If you want to go to the saloon, stop by the Buckhorn Saloon in Pinos Altos, New Mexico... that's pretty close.

The Silver City / Pinos Altos area was an ancestral area of the Chiricahua Apache. Some of the more notable Chiricahua include Geronimo, Cochise, Mangas Coloradas, and Victorio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiction says "Southwest Territory" which makes it modern day Tennessee making it a state in 1796. That doesn't seem to fit to me. As you can see, most people picture it half a continent away from there.

It's possible the frogs didn't realize that was an actual
Proper name and meant southwestern US but they capitalized it as such. If it's meant just to mean the southwest then Arizona and New Mexico making the tribes mostly Well known would be Apache, Navajo, and Mohave but that's not a complete list. Most well known tribes in Tennessee would probably be Shawnee and Cherokee.

We're near Deadwood and the Badlands/Black Hills of South Dakota we pretty much think of our local area, though. So our natives are Lakota Sioux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Army is a lost regimen of Santa Ana's army. Santa Ana was fighting for Mexico against Texas and the United States during the 1830s-40s. In 1835 he was sent to the Texas town of Gonzalez to seize the now famous "Come and Take It" cannon, which may or may not have later gone on to become the legendary Hell Cannon. And in 1836 he lead the Mexican army in the battle of the Alamo (remember it) which is located in San Antonio. As any Texan will tell you, Texas is pretty big, and the Lost Army could have conceivably wandered for years and never gotten out of the state, possibly into New Mexico. When they entered the void, they could have come out anywhere, but if they came back out where they went in, I would say they're in Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
Early American Sharp Shooter - Roger's Rangers
mbmbmbmbmb
Another agree'er here on Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map in the book has 3 locations that, more or less, correlate to real locations in California. They share names and roughly the same geographical area to the real world places.

So, California?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sierra Magallanes, also on the map, are in Sonora Mexico. So if you use that as your keystone, the whole map is in Mexico (assuming up is north). "Badlands" are all over. Canada, South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico, Nebraska, Montana... New Zealand, Spain, Argentina...

Clayton Ravine is in Hill Valley in northern California (but has been renamed Eastwood Ravine) whistle

One of the cities listed is Czech... wasn't there a KS pledge level that let people name places on the map?

Small towns and encampments frequently have the same names as other places - just like large cities might. Paris, Texas?

I know I've already mentioned this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Territory

Is the map and this reference our only clues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
M 121 wrote:
I know I've already mentioned this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Territory

Is the map and this reference our only clues?

That Southwest Territory has been the State of Tennessee for over 100 years before the games setting.

And thanks to the Trail of Tears etc isn't Tennesse a bit short on Indian warbands by the 1880s?

We have the Frontier Town map and the Canyon Tiles. Both of which suggest a dryer terrain than Tennesse is known for. Hottest Deserts are mentioned in your quote.

Arizona is the Southwesternmost territory of the USA in 1880 and known for hot desert. It being referred to as the Southwest Territory would fit. Either because it's a fictional territory between California and Arizona or just slightly obscured.

ANd we have this quote from the rulebook.

Quote:
It is the mid-1880s in the Southwest United States, and the small mining town of Brimstone has found Dark Stone up in the hills; a new precious mineral with magical properties, rarer than gold… and more dangerous!

Tennessee is not in the Southwest United States in mid 1880s. All the other references I can find to locale in the game books are West, Old est or Southwest without Territory or United States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with just about everything you've said, Adam. It's kind of like saying "In Hawaii, the largest part of ancient South Sudan, atop the coldest glaciers..." Obviously, Hawaii is a specific place. South Sudan hasn't been around that long and neither are known for glaciers.

"Hottest deserts in..." is not a comparison to all the deserts in the U.S./North America. Just in that specific region. So being an unknown region that detail doesn't actually give us as much as the art you mentioned. It's vague on purpose and I suspect the proper noun is just incorrect. It just happens to be the only "real" place we're given in this "Old West" world as seen from Italy and Spain (queue up the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme)

Which is why I thought collecting the clues would be fun & useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
M 121 wrote:
I agree with just about everything you've said, Adam. It's kind of like saying "In Hawaii, the largest part of ancient South Sudan, atop the coldest glaciers..." Obviously, Hawaii is a specific place. South Sudan hasn't been around that long and neither are known for glaciers.

Nah it's just capitalisation of directions is fraught and not totally agreed on.

Every other use of Southwest in the rulebooks is referring to the south west of the United States.

While it is mildly peculiar, much like referring to Puerto Rico as the Caribbean Territory territory, it could just be an editing error.

I suspect they did a cut and paste from Arizona (or New Mexico) to Southwest at some point and missed they'd once referred to the Arizona Territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Boes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sierra Magallanes is named after the composer of the game's soundtrack. I suspect the other places are named after other members of the FFP staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.