Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
We had our first game this past weekend and a couple of rules questions cropped up and some comments.

1) Is removing your governor (2 blue) and then immediately replacing the neutral governor that appeared (typically 1 blue if you have troops there) a legitimate tactic? This seemed very gamey. The reason people were doing this was to eliminate the mobs in the province. We also had an argument about whether you can do this in Italia to reset your support to the number of provinces you own.

2) Can you move a stack, attack with the stack, and then move the stack afterwards? We had several instances of doom stacks protecting a critical region but on that person's turn, they would march out, slaughter some barbarians (or smaller roman stack), and then march back home. Having 8-10 red actions towards the latter part of the game made this very viable.

3) Can barbarian leaders be set to inactive? I believe I read on this board that they can -- even though the flip side does not state inactive.

4) In our game, the game really shifted to red cards as it did not seem that the other colored cards could change the board much. Anyone using blue to replace the governor had to contend with: (a) dumping a significant number of points to overcome the invested enemy army, (b) a downgrade in support due to an enemy army investing the capital, and (c) the enemy needed substantially fewer blue to flip the province due to having an army invested, and (d) you could move your doom stack among your territories to invest the province capital, roll on your blue action, divest capital, move to next capital, repeat with next territory if necessary. Is this other people's experience too?

5) When you have a combat with an enemy barbarian leader can the attacking player assign a hit to that leader before assigning hits to the barbarians? That is how we played it but I wanted to confirm.

We had a mixed experience with the game but I am chalking that up to our first game and not understanding the meta better. I think some of the problems we had were due to the game going longer than it should have if we were playing better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:

2) Can you move a stack, attack with the stack, and then move the stack afterwards? We had several instances of doom stacks protecting a critical region but on that person's turn, they would march out, slaughter some barbarians (or smaller roman stack), and then march back home. Having 8-10 red actions towards the latter part of the game made this very viable.

Once an army is involved in a battle, it may not move again (6.3.1, page 8, top of right hand column).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, that loophole has been eliminated by the designers in this forum - you now cannot recall and place a governor in the same province on the same turn.

2. Answered above - once an army has initiated battle it can't move.

3. Yes.

4. I'm confused about d. Why are you rolling blue on your own territories?

5. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - You can't do that anymore. Check out this thread.

2 - Section 6.3.1, Once an army is involved in a battle it may not be selected for the Move Army or Initiate Battle actions until the start of the owner's next Take Actions Phase.

3 - Yes. Either the Limes or the Tribute card can do this.

5 - You assign hits in any manner you wish against barbarian tribes (8.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[edit - ninja'ed!]

1) This is not allowed, but it was missed in the rulebook. You can't Place Governor in a province in which you did a Remove Governor in the same turn. We added it to the clarification/errata doc we're keeping at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jI8s2-UBr5gxarsReYLuJXa7... (also linked from the ToC bgg page.)

2) JR is correct - you can't do this. After conducting a battle, the army is "exhausted" for the remainder of your turn and can't be activated to move or attack again. (See Initiate Battle under 6.3.1)

3) Barbarian leaders can be set to inactive like a regular barbarian token. Just flip them over, even though it doesn't say "inactive" on the back.

4) The relative strength of Red in the late game is dependent on a lot of factors, including your group's meta among other things. I think Blue and Yellow can both be very important and powerful into the late game, depending on how things go. Possibly not letting your "doom" armies attack multiple times in the same turn will change how you see things. (We called them "death star" armies when we saw this happen in playtesting, and to be honest, the "armies only attack once per turn" rule was added to balance this strategy.)

5) Yes, you can allocate your hits you deal to a barbarian army however you like. (See 8.1)

Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.