Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which of my games should I try to learn solo next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many of us, I have a habit of acquiring games at a faster rate than I can learn them and get them to the table. While solo tabletop gaming isn't really my thing, I have found that solo modes can be useful for learning complex games before trying to introduce them to my group. With that in mind, I have a few heavier games that I'm considering trying to do this with and I was wondering if folks have any input on which games might be better for learning solo, and if they may be able to point me toward helpful video resources to assist the process of learning these particular games:

Greenland (rulebook seems...daunting)
Cuba Libre (Playing asymmetrical bots seems like it could be daunting...maybe actually easier to learn multiplayer?)
Too Many Bones
Scythe
Troyes (listed as 1-4 on BGG, but 2-4 on box?)
Talon (no technical solo mode, but all information is open, so I could give it a try)

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Scythe Solo system, Automa, is really good.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer2C wrote:
The Scythe Solo system, Automa, is really good.

However... I wouldn't recommend using it as a way to learn the full game.

Instead, just come to Chicagoland, stay at my place, and I'll teach.
Otherwise, there are several good videos for it... but the Automa adds an extra layer of complexity and I believe it isn't recommended until you already know the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Instead, just come to Chicagoland, stay at my place, and I'll teach. Otherwise, there are several good videos for it... but the Automa adds an extra layer of complexity and I believe it isn't recommended until you already know the game.

Be careful what you wish for: another buddy of mine just moved out there and if you don't watch out, I might just take you up on that. laugh

Besides, aren't you gonna teach me at PAX Unplugged?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:

Troyes (listed as 1-4 on BGG, but 2-4 on box?)

There's an official solo variant written by Shadi Torbey (who made Onirim) and translated by macgruff, in the Files section of Troyes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
My vote is Cuba Libre. You can just play all sides rather than using the bots, at least to learn it - many find that easier. But I'm biased, I prefer playing multiplayer wargames solo, controlling all sides, over most Euro solo variants.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Llewsor wrote:
There's an official solo variant written by Shadi Torbey (who made Onirim) and translated by macgruff, in the Files section of Troyes.

Thanks! Hm, that's interesting...since the solo variant wasn't part of the original release, I wonder does it substantially change the game? If I learn to play solo, will it be simple to transition to multiplayer (my ultimate goal)?

Ryan Keane wrote:
My vote is Cuba Libre. You can just play all sides rather than using the bots, at least to learn it - many find that easier. But I'm biased, I prefer playing multiplayer wargames solo, controlling all sides, over most Euro solo variants.

Thanks for the response. So, you think that trying to play each faction myself is actually simpler than using the bots, or trying to figure it out "live" with other players?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
Instead, just come to Chicagoland, stay at my place, and I'll teach. Otherwise, there are several good videos for it... but the Automa adds an extra layer of complexity and I believe it isn't recommended until you already know the game.

Be careful what you wish for: another buddy of mine just moved out there and if you don't watch out, I might just take you up on that. laugh

Besides, aren't you gonna teach me at PAX Unplugged?

No They ended up really cheaping out and it just would be too expensive to get there for what they were offering.

But serious, if you come this way, we have another room. We have people stay semi-frequently. We have a bunch of animals, though -- so if you have allergies or fears, it would be an awful fit... but we can meet up regardless (we have a community room in the building.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
wamsp wrote:
Llewsor wrote:
There's an official solo variant written by Shadi Torbey (who made Onirim) and translated by macgruff, in the Files section of Troyes.

Thanks! Hm, that's interesting...since the solo variant wasn't part of the original release, I wonder does it substantially change the game? If I learn to play solo, will it be simple to transition to multiplayer (my ultimate goal)?

Ryan Keane wrote:
My vote is Cuba Libre. You can just play all sides rather than using the bots, at least to learn it - many find that easier. But I'm biased, I prefer playing multiplayer wargames solo, controlling all sides, over most Euro solo variants.

Thanks for the response. So, you think that trying to play each faction myself is actually simpler than using the bots, or trying to figure it out "live" with other players?


Yes and yes. I haven't played Cuba Libre yet, but want to, so I was selfishly recommending that to somehow live vicariously through you. I think the general consensus for COIN games is, from easiest to hardest for learning the game:
1. Multiplayer with other people that have played COIN
2. Multiplayer with other people, all new to COIN
3. Multiplayer solo, controlling all the factions independently
4. Solo with bots
The bot decision trees add an additional level of complexity that isn't there when you are controlling all the factions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Helgeson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones solo is fantastic. It will also give you a great understanding of the rules and flow of the game. The only thing that wouldn't transfer over to a larger player count is how the baddies target when there are more players. But as it is a coop you can always play two characters by yourself to understand how that works.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenland - learn it next if you have people to play it multiplayer against, because it loses something when playing solo (Neanderthal was the better game of choice for this); the rulebook is daunting, but it actually isn't that complex to play.

Cuba Libre - the preferred way to play solo when learning is to control all sides and play them to your best ability, but maybe look at the bots to get a general idea of their strategy; playing with the procedural AI will add a lot of time, and if you don't get the basics of play will be hard to understand. Still, these are great solo, I'd probably try this next.

Too Many Bones, Scythe, Troyes - Don't own these, never played them... can't factor them in.

Talon - the game is getting a solo play AI, so maybe wait until your P500 copy of Talon 1000 comes out? Wargames are all about maneuvering in a clever way, and so I find they only work well if you can "compartmentalize" your thoughts and ignore that knowledge. However, its a fun star ship battle simulator, a sort of 'Star Fleet Battles' light.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many bones is my current obsession. I think as far as solo play is concerned, it has me more excited to play than any other game I have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.