7 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confusion over campaign quest levels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
My understanding is that the campaign quest levels begin with the level that matches the lowest skill level of a member of the party. In other words, if my party has 3 members and two of them are Level 3 and one is Level 2, then the first tile of the campaign begins at Level 2.

With that being said, I'm not sure I understand how the level tokens for the other tiles work. You're supposed to place them as normal based upon the campaign layout.

If I use the example above, then Tile 1 would be Level 2, Tile 2 would also be Level 2, and Tile 3 would be Level 3.

Cutting to the chase, how does this work in later quests? Are all tiles considered to be Level 5 (assuming all party members are Level 5)? If I stick with the previous example, but replace it with Level 5 Heroes, would it be Tile 1=Level 5, Tile 2=Level 2, and Tile 3=Level 3. That can't be right.

The lack of clarity in the rulebook is frustrating. Or is it just my ability to understand it? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you think it's the lowest level hero when the rules say:
Rules - Story Mode wrote:
• Each Quest starts at the Level corresponding to the highest
Level among Heroes. Flip down the lower Level tokens.

So in your example, the Quest starts at Level 3.

Tile 1 is still at Level 1 in this case, but while there, you'll be spawning Level 3 monsters with Level 3 gear. If you spawn Treasure, it will be Level 1, though.

The key to understanding this is figuring out which rules are tied to the current Level and which effects are keyed to a tile's Level. Keeping the fact that the current Level is its own entity might make the rules make a little more sense now. Please ask more questions if you are still confused, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Tile 1 is still at Level 1 in this case, but while there, you'll be spawning Level 3 monsters with Level 3 gear. If you spawn Treasure, it will be Level 1, though.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that feels half-baked. Not that it's your problem. It's just another instance where things don't feel well thought out. I'm a Level 3 Hero fighting Level 3 Monsters. Why would I want weaker Level 1 weapons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is little reason to open the doors on the low-level tiles once your hero is at a higher level, unless you want to fight the Enemies for experience, or to get some Transmutation fuel of course.

But yeah, it is still a little half-baked.

The intended way to play the game is Standard Mode, not Story Mode, but they did do an interesting job of making Story Mode work in ways that make it feel different to Standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Aceves
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I know this is an older post but the rules are confusing me on this front:

EXAMPLE: Elias has a Level 5 Skill, but the highest Level
token on the Quest he’s about to embark on is Level 3. A Level 4
token and a Level 5 token are added to the Zone where the Level
3 token is.

In your example, Tile 1 is level 1, Tile 2 is level 2, Guard spawn at level 5 since Elias is level 5, but what does that last sentence mean? :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means Tile 3 is the location of tokens 3, 4 and 5. Essentially, it is a Level 5 tile, but anything that would happen at Levels 3 and 4 happens there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Aceves
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.