5 Posts

Bottom of the 9th: Clubhouse Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Equipment --- when to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does equipment and gear have to be played at the beginning of an at bat? At the start of a pitch? Or can one wait until after a die roll to use (eg play the shift 4 only after rolling a four).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
Does equipment and gear have to be played at the beginning of an at bat? At the start of a pitch? Or can one wait until after a die roll to use (eg play the shift 4 only after rolling a four).

The cards should be assigned to the players at the time they are “in use”. Meaning the pitcher when they hit the mound, or hitters when they go to On Deck.

Their abilities are used the same as if the abilities were on the player cards themselves. So after rolling, running, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:
26halo26 wrote:

The cards should be assigned to the players at the time they are “in use”. Meaning the pitcher when they hit the mound, or hitters when they go to On Deck.

Their abilities are used the same as if the abilities were on the player cards themselves. So after rolling, running, etc.

When he goes to the "On deck" position? So, if I want to use gear for my second player in my lineup, I need to give him the gear (ie assign the gear to him) as soon as the game starts? (Because he goes to the ondeck position before the first pitch).

Also, I assume that the exception is the first player of the lineup, who never goes to the ondeck circle --- he can be equipped at the start of his at bat. AM I understanding this correctly?

(My questioning is because it seems that until the player goes up to bat, a batboy could come up and give him his new shiny bat or whatever equipment he needs, while he is on the on deck circle..... and if a card is being saved for a particular situation, I don't really know what situation a batter will be in until the previous batter is either safe or out. I'm not arguing with the rules, I just want o make sure I didn't misunderstand your answer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
getlouder wrote:
26halo26 wrote:

When he goes to the "On deck" position? So, if I want to use gear for my second player in my lineup, I need to give him the gear (ie assign the gear to him) as soon as the game starts? (Because he goes to the ondeck position before the first pitch).

Also, I assume that the exception is the first player of the lineup, who never goes to the ondeck circle --- he can be equipped at the start of his at bat. AM I understanding this correctly?

(My questioning is because it seems that until the player goes up to bat, a batboy could come up and give him his new shiny bat or whatever equipment he needs, while he is on the on deck circle..... and if a card is being saved for a particular situation, I don't really know what situation a batter will be in until the previous batter is either safe or out. I'm not arguing with the rules, I just want o make sure I didn't misunderstand your answer.)

Your lead-off (first) batter will be equipped at the start of the game. Your On-Deck batter will get to On-Deck status after the game set-up is completed, but before the dice are rolled. So your lead-off will know the Pitcher and any equipment on them (and also your subsequent players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Understood. BUT... if there is a man on second, and I don't want to use a particular gear until there is a man on third, forcing the batter to be equipped when he gets to the on deck circle means that he has to be equipped BEFORE he knows how many baserunners there will be on base or where the lead runner is. For that matter, hw may not know which pitcher he is facing, because the pitcher can be changed. It's all good, but thematically (in real baseball), a batter on deck may be thinking that he is going to be swinging for the fences, but by the time he gets up, the situation has changed and they just need him to get on base and drive a runner home. Or the opponent changes the pitcher, which makes the batter want to change his strategy too. (And in the game, that can be very relevant ----- right before going at bat, the pitcher can be changed, and for that particular matchup, a shift 4 may be invaluable. I kind of think that if a new pitcher can come in, delay the game for a couple of minutes, and warmup, then the player who is going to come up to bat can certainly change his bat then as needed).

Of course I could always play with a house rule that allows equipping of gear right before the batter steps up (or even during an at bat---- maybe that variation would be utilized to make things easier for my kids who are batting). But just wondering, is there any particular reason that the game works better by making that equipping decision so early? (IN other words, would a houserule like I'm suggesting 'ruin' the game?) It's of course perfectly OK ifit's arbitrary, I just am interested.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.