John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
So I managed to get in 3 games of Colonial Twilight this weekend but we never actually finished any of them as we ran out of time each day. it was fun though and the latest foray which we played after work for an hour an half was pretty interesting. i'm certain we made some mistakes as it plays different from LoD but it sure has been fun.

Here is a brief synopsis:

(1/12) Balky Conscripts: FLN - event (to prevent the Fr police from coming into play from available). FR - ops/spec to garrison Phillipville and neutralize (Gov't commit +1).

note: as govt player if the FlN goes event or other and allows op/spec on T1 i send 4 police to phillipville to neutralize this base ASAP.

(2/12) Leadership Snatch: FLN - Rally Tizi Ozou 3 rebels
FR. - Garrison Tlemcen and Constantine and Neutralize in Constantine.

(3/12). Oil &Gas Disc. FLN - Rally Tizi Ouzou 3 rebels
FR - train deploy 4 algerian police to Oran 1 Fr base to Philipville

(4/12). Population Control. FLN - March spreads out rebels
Fr - assault Tlemcen remove base Govt commit +1

note: with police in a border zone do i need troops to assault? it says police are counted as troops in border so i thought it ok.

(5/12). Bandung conference. FR - Garrison Medea with 6 police activate 3 rebels. FLN - March - moves Medea activated rebels to 2 sectors.

note: i actually liked this aspect of the game, as govt i sent the police to find these guys then they promptly dispersed when we show up to make some "arrests".

(6/12) Casbah. FLN - Event! 4 rebels immediately take possession of Algiers and agitate the populace against our civilized rule. There is 1 lone Gov't unit here to hold the fort.
FR- garrison to Algiers and neutralize 2 rebels.

(7/12). Govt USA. FLN - event (-2 FR commit)
FR - Garrison/neutralize
That rebellion went down in a bloody hurry but I'm putting out fires everywhere and the populace is living in terror.

(8/12). The call up. FLN -rally Tizi Ouzou
FR - i forgot what i did here but I'm guessing it was wash rinse repeat of garrison /neutralize this time probably in Mtn.

Note: Funds are getting extremely thin on both sides, like I am out of money and praying from propaganda phase.

(9/12). General strike FR-event used at Algiers (+3 commit )
FLN extort then rally.
Propaganda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
This is the current map status going into prop 1. i need to add a second terror to Algiers as I neutralized 4 rebels there plus add the FlN control to those other 2 sectors.

Gov't Strategy going forward: I think I'm cashing in all the chips by bringing in the full French force and will attempt to make up the difference by eliminating FLN bases rather than waiting to mobilize. Won't be able to get to it until tomorrow at the earliest.

One point of observation, the first phase of the war is fairly critical to the gov't player. You start with 16 resources which means for all intents and purposes you can do 8 actions in sectors/ cities etc. The turn can very well last 11 cards so that means you need to plan for playing 2-3 events possibly. The FLN starts with 2 pop 2 sectors with bases. a double rally followed by march and extort they can recoup their expenditures whereas the gov't is on a fixed budget.

Second note, I like to jump on these "hotspots" of rebellion as soon as they start before they get too big but you need to be wary about using a garrison neutralize then have the insurrgents flip the table on you in the next half of initiative. There is a card that converts all your Algerian police in 1 sector to rebels which burned me bad as i trained once and brought yhem all in Algiers (more cost effective) and the next card they deserted to the enemy! LoL.

cheers,
j
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Year 1956-57

Propaganda at the end of First Turn had the Gov't commit everything save the bases to available (-7 commit). They pacified in Constantine. FLN agitated in Mostaganem, Orealsville, and Borgi Bou.

(1/14) Op 744 FLN - rally extort in available areas.
FR. - Event: 3 FR troops to Batna kill 2 guerrillas

(2/14) Challe Plan FR - Event: Gov't Momentum
FLN - Extort again and march to spread out forces

Note: I got fortunate to get this early on and where I could take the event, should be able to do a garrison/neutralize followed up by assault with using police only i could make serious headway this campaign turn.

(3/14) Moghazni. FR - lim op at Batna eliminating base there (+1 commit)
FLN - Extort/rally

Note: there are a serious number of rebels out here....

(4/14) NATO FR - Train/deploy 6 FR troops to Algiers
FLN - Event: rolls a 3 so i remove 3 Fr troops from Batna to OOP

(5/14) Peace of the Brave FLN - Event place bases in Medea and Mostaganum, agitate in Medea
FR - Train/deploy Bring Fr police in and place base at Bougie

(6/14) Assassination FLN- Event 1 x OOP rebel to Barika +4 resources
FR- Garrison/neutralise in Medea

(7/14) Napalm FLN- Event (assaults cost 3 resource this campaign turn). FR- Troop lift assault I lifted on Bordi and assaulted in Medea with police and assaulted exposed rebels in Bordi with troops. (-6 resources, 4 rebels killed plus a base, +1 commit.

Propaganda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Here is a game pic at end of propaganda phase 2.

we played assassination that you could place the FLN anywhere is that correct? The napalm event for FLN only lasts through that campaign turn as it is not a capability for FLN so I am back to 2 resource cost for an assault. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools

French secret weapon is now resting. Whilst I was away making coffee she managed to elimnate the majority of the FLN forces from available to OoP on the floor and terrorize their training grounds as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools

this is the final map situation before we decided to retire the game with 2 cards left before propaganda. There were 12 card plays in the year 1957 on into 1958.

It started off with a 6 FT sweep into Tizi. My opp vowed to go to the last man here. He marched and extorted elsewhere on the map. Next was an assault at Tizi removing 3 Ga. FLN rallied replacing losses at Tizi and agitating in FRance and subverting in Bordji.

i didn't want to risk my precious FT in a multiphase shootout at Tizi so we used a sweep to activate more Gu in Bordi. FlN again rallied and agitated in France. Next saw a Ft assault on Borji eliminating 2 Ga. FLN rallied and extoreted and agitated in France. Though i was killing lots of rebels popular support for the war is taking a major hit.

next was a garrison move at Orelansville with 3Fp and 3Ap. The FLN responded by rally at orleansville, subverting at orleansville and agitating in France.

next Card was huge: Retreat into Djebel: France took the event sending 9 rebels to available from a total of 2 spaces. That was a major morale hit to my friend but i think he still had a good chance of winning because France track was now on F after yet another rally extort. I managed to start using train to work on the france track while getting events Development, and SAS capability which really helped in both pacifying and France track.

Each time we are discovering new nuances to the game and will probably go from scratch though i still have this screenshot saved if we want to pick up here next run.
heers,
j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
going back over the game i realized we had been playing the FR track in the rally op wrong. you get guerrillas or the track not both. live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.