Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, maybe I'm slow but after several hours and attempts at trying to learn this game I still come up with what are simple basic questions. It has gotten to the point that I pretty much am rewriting all the BOT commands in my own language.

So here is a question that would apply to various commands using "within that" but I will ask the command using the non player Patriot March command.

Here is the exact quote out of the rulebook. I have bolded the part that has caused me confusion. "Moving the largest groups first, add Rebellion Control to two spaces, first with Villages, then Cities, then elsewhere; within that first to the spaces with largest Population"...

So what does the "within that" actually refer to? Does it mean;
1. You first select those spaces with the largest population, then Villages, Cities, then elsewhere. (So a city with 2 Pop would be selected before a Village with 1 Pop).

or

2. You would select as below:
a) First priority are Villages with highest population
b) Next priority are cities with highest population
c) Then elsewhere with highest population
So in this case Villages regardless of population would be selected first.

If you are laughing at me now, I will admit English was never my strong suit...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think anyway's going to be laughing at you for this one! I consider English to be one of my strong suits, and I'm still subscribing just to make sure I've been playing things correctly.

For what it's worth, I think it's number two, since making Population the first priority would likely result in a Patriot bot who was insufficiently aggressive against the Natives (who tend to build villages first in areas with zero population.) I am fully prepared to be wrong about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a tie-breaker for what precedes. First priority is villages, so if there are two village spaces that qualify, you select those. If there are three or more, you select the two with the largest population. If only one or zero village spaces qualify, you select the one you can and then move to cities, again using largest pop as tiebreaker.

Take a read through the playbook. Many of the instructions have “within that” as a qualifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if I understand correctly you are both saying the 2 option is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Within this thread are questions of inquisitive and confusing concepts, within that are answers that are forthcoming and descriptive. Among those are areas in which are described solutions to find within the rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:
So if I understand correctly you are both saying the 2 option is correct?

Not quite, or maybe I'm misreading your intention based on your wording.
My clarifications italicized:

Al Johnson wrote:

2. You would select as below:
a) First priority are Villages.If more than 2 spaces eligible, select spaces with highest population
b) Next priority are cities. If more spaces eligible than remain to be selected, select spaces with highest population
c) Then elsewhere with highest population
So in this case Villages regardless of population would be selected first.

Think of the first list as selecting a set of eligible spaces. If you have more eligible spaces than spaces you've been told to select, you need to go to the "within that" tiebreaker. In this case, population.

Remember, after the population tiebreaker, there is the random space tiebreaker of 8.2. So if you had 3 spaces of population 1 with a village, you'd go to that table, roll, and follow the chart until you get to one of the three eligible spaces. Then you'd roll again to select one of the remaining two spaces.

If there was one space with a village, you would select that space first. You would then move to the cities. If two cities are eligible and have the different population values, you'd select the higher of those two. If they had the same population, you'd go back to the random table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your responses! For some reason this is by far the hardest game (using the non-player commands) I have ever tried to learn.

And Rex, your clarification was helpful. That's what I meant but didn't word it as well as you did. I am finding out as I am rewording these non-player commands that it is a very difficult job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
Within this thread are questions of inquisitive and confusing concepts, within that are answers that are forthcoming and descriptive. Among those are areas in which are described solutions to find within the rulebook

I'm not even going to try rewording this...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.