flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
We're rules locked on In the Loop, a hidden-identity card laying puzzle game about building the Chicago elevated train system in the late 1800s. I'd love to get a few rulebook reads from others to help even out some of the bumps. I'd be willing to do a "quid pro quo" and read rulebooks you have in the works as well. Just comment in reply or PM me for that.

Here's a commentable google link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pPpeNGShFlil9CCjEBadb2i0...
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

We've done a lot of work on the game and have a new version of the rulebook. I would love some feedback. I will offer a quid-pro-quo on your rulebook or other documents if you like.

Here's the link to the current version:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pPpeNGShFlil9CCjEBadb2i0...

Brendan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. I only found one little detail and marked it in the text. The examples really helped explain the game.

Am I correct in thinking that I can place my route card as an isolated block in one of the designated spots, but would limit my earning ability to a maximum of $4000 due to only being able to attach 2 line cards? If I were to follow the sequence, I could potentially score the full $8000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
Looks good. I only found one little detail and marked it in the text. The examples really helped explain the game.

Am I correct in thinking that I can place my route card as an isolated block in one of the designated spots, but would limit my earning ability to a maximum of $4000 due to only being able to attach 2 line cards? If I were to follow the sequence, I could potentially score the full $8000.

Thanks so much, Kai. The game starts in one corner and proceeds in either direction around the loop, so you always have two directions you could place in. Usually people manage between $3 and $6 on a turn, depending how many lines the previous player left open to attach your route card to.

But you always have to connect to previous plays--there isn't a way to start fresh from a new spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

But you always have to connect to previous plays--there isn't a way to start fresh from a new spot.

I just went back to the rules and noticed that it does state that ("Line cards connect to route or corner cards, and route cards always connect only to line cards."), so there is no need for further clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

I just went back to the rules and noticed that it does state that ("Line cards connect to route or corner cards, and route cards always connect only to line cards."), so there is no need for further clarification

Except that you didn't see it the first time, so it might be one of those things that needs a bit more prominent place or repetition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Elghag
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!
Just starting reading, you haven't listed all contents have you? You talk about line cards and money, I can't see neither of those contents in the contentlist...

Edit: Google docs didn't show the document correctly, now I see that all contents are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Shannon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through your rules. For the most part they look quite well done to me. Perhaps I am nitpicking, but I have added a few suggestions of my own. I hope that this helps with your game.

Darryl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Elghag
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I've made a few comments in your rules. Generally I think the game looks interesting.
What are your estimated age recommendation?
How long does a game take?
Are you going to publish it on your own or go to a publisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geographist2000 wrote:
I have read through your rules. For the most part they look quite well done to me. Perhaps I am nitpicking, but I have added a few suggestions of my own. I hope that this helps with your game.

Darryl

Thanks much, Darryl! Do you have some rules you'd like me to look at?

melghag wrote:
I've made a few comments in your rules. Generally I think the game looks interesting.
What are your estimated age recommendation?
How long does a game take?
Are you going to publish it on your own or go to a publisher?

Thanks much, Marcus! Do you have some rules you'd like me to look at?

Regarding your questions:

We haven't nailed down the age recommendation yet, but it will probably be 12+. Unless doing 14+ saves us on testing fees or something.

In the Loop takes 45-90 minutes depending on the experience of the players, mostly.

We're aiming for kickstarter. Right now we're in rules revision and blind playtesting stage, so we'll have to see how things go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Elghag
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
If you like you could comment on my game Gaul that I've made a post about in this forum

Another thought, haven't given it much thought though so it might be bad but, your game does make me think of ticket to ride. And that's a game for player from 8 years of age of I'm not mistaken.

My first thought when starting to read was just that, I thought the game would be a family game. I'm not sure it would appeal to my gaming group that loves to play games like terraforming Mars, clans of Caledonia etc. But I would absolutely consider playing it with my wife and some friends after eating dinner, or with my children in a couple of years.

So maybe that's what you should do? The game is very easy to understand but although I haven't played it my guess is that it offers a whole lot of decision-making. But I think the most important aspect when creating a game for a younger audience is that shall be easy to learn, which it is. It also doesn't use any text in-game which I also think is important.
Perhaps you should try playing it with some 8 year olds? Make the short game the standard length and provide rules for a longer game as a variant. And if needed, cut out things that younger players might find hard to understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melghag wrote:
If you like you could comment on my game Gaul that I've made a post about in this forum

Another thought, haven't given it much thought though so it might be bad but, your game does make me think of ticket to ride. And that's a game for player from 8 years of age of I'm not mistaken.

My first thought when starting to read was just that, I thought the game would be a family game. I'm not sure it would appeal to my gaming group that loves to play games like terraforming Mars, clans of Caledonia etc. But I would absolutely consider playing it with my wife and some friends after eating dinner, or with my children in a couple of years.

So maybe that's what you should do? The game is very easy to understand but although I haven't played it my guess is that it offers a whole lot of decision-making. But I think the most important aspect when creating a game for a younger audience is that shall be easy to learn, which it is. It also doesn't use any text in-game which I also think is important.
Perhaps you should try playing it with some 8 year olds? Make the short game the standard length and provide rules for a longer game as a variant. And if needed, cut out things that younger players might find hard to understand?

Thanks! I will look at Gaul later today.

Regarding ages, this is a difficult one -- I think most 8 year olds would be fine playing it, but it's hard to tell since my design partner and I have "gamer" kids who have been playing hobby board games as long as they've been able, so their skillsets (like your kids, I imagine) are not the norm. And we've found that while some people understand the track placement rules easily, some spend the whole game referring back to the guidelines, so it's not quite as simple as TTR. But thanks for the thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Blain
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brendan,

You may have already made updates to the rulebook from last week, but I'm going through and adding a few edits! I'm trying to start a freelance proofreading gig via fiverr (https://www.fiverr.com/emilyblain/proofread-your-board-game-...) and I'm trying to get actual board game experience to try to create a portfolio of sorts. I'll leave my feedback in the document. If I can help out in any other way, please let me know!

Leodwyn/Emily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leodwyn wrote:
Hey Brendan,

You may have already made updates to the rulebook from last week, but I'm going through and adding a few edits! I'm trying to start a freelance proofreading gig via fiverr (https://www.fiverr.com/emilyblain/proofread-your-board-game-...) and I'm trying to get actual board game experience to try to create a portfolio of sorts. I'll leave my feedback in the document. If I can help out in any other way, please let me know!

Leodwyn/Emily

Thanks so much! You have a great eye for copy-editing. PM sent.
Brendan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Woodbury
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Ive never used google docshare/suggestion before. Hope I did it correctly.

I did not dive into gameplay, just visuals at this point.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KaerthLord wrote:
Ive never used google docshare/suggestion before. Hope I did it correctly.

I did not dive into gameplay, just visuals at this point.

Thanks

Thanks. Alas, because these are prototype rules, we haven't done any graphic design on them yet. The formatting is for ease of use rather than final form. I appreciate the effort, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I took a look through your rules. I will look again, but my comments are based on my first reading, some of it may or may not make more sense the second time through.

regardless, looks potentially quite fun and simple enough. I don't know how much of the two years you put into this, but I can tell you did put some effort and thought into it, so kudos to you. the rules seem to be generally well structured.

you commented in my thread already, so I do appreciate the quid pro quo offer! and thanks to you I did not know I could share my document and allow comments but not edits, so I updated that google document accordingly. so thanks for that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28798091#28798091

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonization wrote:
I took a look through your rules. I will look again, but my comments are based on my first reading, some of it may or may not make more sense the second time through.

Thanks, Adam! I knew there was another rule set out there I was meant to be reading but hadn't looked at yet. I'll try to take a look at these today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
Colonization wrote:

Thanks, Adam! I knew there was another rule set out there I was meant to be reading but hadn't looked at yet. I'll try to take a look at these today.

no worries man, appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BIGGER T
msg tools
I commented your rulebook. It was really well written, and I am pretty confident I could play the game without further explanations.

Only 2 things bugged me:
1. There are only 5 syndicates, and a color always matches the same shape. This should be crystal clear from the start.
2. The word "line" is used in multiple contexts.

I don't have any rulebook of my own worth reading right now, but I am working on one. I'll PM you when it goes public
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ttbigger wrote:
I commented your rulebook. It was really well written, and I am pretty confident I could play the game without further explanations.

Only 2 things bugged me:
1. There are only 5 syndicates, and a color always matches the same shape. This should be crystal clear from the start.
2. The word "line" is used in multiple contexts.

I don't have any rulebook of my own worth reading right now, but I am working on one. I'll PM you when it goes public

Thanks so much! I see lots of great comments -- looking forward to digging into them.

1. Good point. We've been looking at adding a more elaborate Components section, this could do that.

2. Good point. I'll have to see what we can do about that.

Let me know when I can repay the favor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blessing
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Brendan,
I gotta say I really enjoy the premise of this game. Here are some good points:
1) I love the player interaction "Bribery" causes.
2) I really enjoy the clarification on the connection symbols. It makes sense intuitively that solid black and partial black could connect whereas solid white and solid black cannot.
3) I like the syndicate card hidden objective. The entire game there's no telling who is gaining the most advantage making the end game much more dramatic and it keeps players on their toes to ensure their actions don't give away their syndicate.

I only have two question.
My first that I can see is whether or not "Snag" can be done in succession. Is there a limit on how many times "Snag" can be used in a row or by the same player? It feels like it could get chaotic if say when you're done shuffling the deck, the next top card is appealing to the original player or new player and he shouts "Dibs!" resulting in another shuffle etc. I have an image in my head of this happening 5-6 times in a row before anyone can take their turn. I realize it would become expensive to keep doing that but it's just a thought.

My second question pertains to line cards themselves. Are you limited to only playing the face up side or can you turn the card over at any point to play the back? You state that the borders indicate that there are routes on the back but it doesn't explicitly state that a player can flip the card over to their advantage or at least I can't find where it points that out.

Again, great game concept. I'm currently working on my own PNP but I'm currently only at the rule book stage. I'd appreciate some feedback if you don't mind via a PM.
-Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abless1 wrote:
Brendan,
I gotta say I really enjoy the premise of this game. Here are some good points:
1) I love the player interaction "Bribery" causes.
2) I really enjoy the clarification on the connection symbols. It makes sense intuitively that solid black and partial black could connect whereas solid white and solid black cannot.
3) I like the syndicate card hidden objective. The entire game there's no telling who is gaining the most advantage making the end game much more dramatic and it keeps players on their toes to ensure their actions don't give away their syndicate.

I only have two question.
My first that I can see is whether or not "Snag" can be done in succession. Is there a limit on how many times "Snag" can be used in a row or by the same player? It feels like it could get chaotic if say when you're done shuffling the deck, the next top card is appealing to the original player or new player and he shouts "Dibs!" resulting in another shuffle etc. I have an image in my head of this happening 5-6 times in a row before anyone can take their turn. I realize it would become expensive to keep doing that but it's just a thought.

My second question pertains to line cards themselves. Are you limited to only playing the face up side or can you turn the card over at any point to play the back? You state that the borders indicate that there are routes on the back but it doesn't explicitly state that a player can flip the card over to their advantage or at least I can't find where it points that out.

Again, great game concept. I'm currently working on my own PNP but I'm currently only at the rule book stage. I'd appreciate some feedback if you don't mind via a PM.
-Adam

Thanks much, Adam! Great comments and questions.

1. Regarding "Snag," yes, it can be done in succession, but in practice it doesn't happen that much. Plus you have to spent money (which is points) to do it. A lot of players go through quite a bit of the game without using the bribery (we think that's a tactical error, but c'est la vie!)

2. Yes, you can play either side. I will have to add words to that effect.

I'd be happy to look at your rules. I'll pop you a DM.

Thanks again!
Brendan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.