17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Using well known names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Wells
msg tools
Hi,

I was wondering what is the situation if you want to make a game based on a TV show, movie or book. Do you need permission from the owners to use the TV show/movie/books name or is it OK?

Regards
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you must buy the rights to anything popular these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I advise you not to rely on legal guidance provided by unknown strangers on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You absolutely need permission, and often need to pay rights, even if you don't make money on it.

I've worked on licensed games in the Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings properties with Wizkids. There are hoops to jump through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I advise you not to rely on legal guidance provided by internet randos.

I would avoid using that word in a friendly environment. It has a derogatory connotation. I assume you weren't trying to be rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, nowadays you even need to have licensing to use many dead celebrities in name or likeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon Berry
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scorchers1003 wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering what is the situation if you want to make a game based on a TV show, movie or book. Do you need permission from the owners to use the TV show/movie/books name or is it OK?

Regards
Brian

Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
could probably give you a good idea of what a massive headache this is.

Also, not sure why anyone is acting like this is new, unusual, or specific to 'popular' titles. Yes, you must (and have always had to) get permission to use someone else's likeness, trademark, or intellectual property in a for-profit venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:

Rely on no, but to get pointed in the correct direction to investigate in the first place doesn't hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRountrey wrote:
I would avoid using that word in a friendly environment. It has a derogatory connotation. I assume you weren't trying to be rude.

You are correct that I intended no offense. I meant to suggest against acting on the legal advice of any commenters, including myself. However, I now realize that at the time I left the message, you were the only other commenter to respond may have interpreted the remark to be aimed at you specifically; this was not intended. I have edited my first post accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Bearhug78 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Rely on no, but to get pointed in the correct direction to investigate in the first place doesn't hurt.

The correct direction is to talk to a lawyer who specializes in IP licensing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scorchers1003 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Brian

*cough* Scary Terry *cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

The correct direction is to talk to a lawyer who specializes in IP licensing.

...and that would be getting pointed in the correct direction. Given the fact he was asking the question it would safe to assume the OP wouldn't have known to do that in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Mr. SOS in the Cunninlynguist's Seasons song,

Mr. SOS wrote:
You even need clearance to sample Jingle Bells
What the hell!

Not to mention Happy Birthday.

So just imagine using names from popular characters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make a serious venture of this, you'll be far better off consulting a lawyer. Any advice you get here isn't going to protet you from any actions you take based on what anyone says. Also, it varies a lot based on where you are based, what the IP is and who owns it and what you plan to do with the IP.

It also really does depend what you mean by based on. You can make a game that is clearly inspired by some intellectually property that is completely legal if you are careful enough. Look at things like VENOM Assault, Smash Up: Cease and Desist or Glenn Drover's Empires: Galactic Rebellion. You can't just use the word Light Sabre, for example. But laser sword is probably fine.

If your efforts are for personal use and never to by published, you can probably do whatever you like without issue. If you want to publish a free game/expansion to something, you might be able to if you approach the property rights owner and ask permission first.

If you want to make a game to sell, it's VERY unlikely you will get to for free, but again you'd need to discuss with the IP owner.

If something is free published and you don't ask permission, you're quite likely to get a cease and desist filed against it, worse you might get sued for loss of earnings and damage to the image of the IP. If you try and make a profit on it, you'll almost definitely get sued for this, but if super-popular they might just sue for % of earnings on it.

In all cases, it's definitely better to ask permission rather than forgiveness (the opposite of the saying, I know!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
scorchers1003 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Brian

It's a perfectly straightforward proposal to make your own game. I'd say choose any name or theme you want, and don't worry about consents or licences. It sounds like a fun thing to do.

Be careful though if you decide to sell or publish your game. Then you'd be stepping into a legal minefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Not to mention Happy Birthday.

So just imagine using names from popular characters!

Good news! The Happy Birthday Song is now public domain (as of June 28, 2016)!

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You#2013_law...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
JRountrey wrote:
wamsp wrote:

legal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.