Subject: Original Core set is "on the boat". Should I buy it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to FFG's website, the original Core set is on the boat. My son and I play pretty much every day. It's really my Imperials flying target practice for his rebels, but we do need another damage deck. Being very new to the game, I thought I read somewhere that the Force Awakens damage deck was different and what is being used now. Is this correct? Do I still need the original Core for Wedge and Luke? Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want the ships it comes with?

That's all you really have to consider. If you're having fun with what you own, it's not like the old days where multiple cores were autobuys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Lin
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can freely choose to use one of the damage decks you like.

Cheers~

2017.09.26 jed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that having a second core set is nice. I like having 2 sets of dice. I like having two sets of templates. I even like having an extra set of asteroids.

Is it a "must" buy? No. But it makes playing more convenient and I personally don't want to own X-wing without having Luke, R2 and original trilogy ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke and Biggs come in the original core set. Wedge is in the original x-wing single blister pack.

Fun to have, because LUUUUUUKE! And R2D2... it's pretty much an auto-buy if you are a fan of the OT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
JBER
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait. Amazon usually has the original core or the Force Awakens in its sales; Black Friday is only 60 days away.

I ended up getting the Force Awakens set for free during the Prime Day fiasco. Even if they hadn't screwed up the code for the sale I think it would only have been $15-20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Sounds like it's a must buy. My son and I love this game and I can't believe it's taken this long to start playing it! We'll end up with at least one of all the ships. My son crushes me with the rebels. A lot of that is he's got super powerful ships and most of it is I allow myself to get drawn in to close up dog fights and get picked apart. I tell him everyday that today's my day and he just rolls his eyes. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to flying weak Empire ships is to swarm and focus fire (all guns on one ship.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shootsahoyt wrote:
My son crushes me with the rebels. A lot of that is he's got super powerful ships and most of it is I allow myself to get drawn in to close up dog fights and get picked apart. I tell him everyday that today's my day and he just rolls his eyes. Lol.

Man this makes me miss my mom. Her and I played there for quite a bit (who knew I'd ever in a million years get my mom into playing a miniatures game? haha!!). /sigh...she passed away this past summer and I've not played a game since. Someday I'll introduce a friend to it...someday.

And don't worry! Keep on practicing and eventually you'll start to get better at maneuvering and predicting your son's next moves (takes time!)...eventually you'll really feel like you know what you're doing and start to out-fly him...then the game just hooks you even more!! lol

I was always proud as hell of how well my mom was getting at the game. She was a better pilot then I was...I loved watching her fly through a cluster of asteroids, coming out without a scratch or a ding...or how she'd whiz right past other ships without collisions.
She was getting better and better at figuring out how to use her movements to try and stay out of my firing arcs as well...dancing around me till she could line things up just right to fire at me while I was unable to do so! /grrrrr!!! hehe

Damn it I miss this game! I miss my flying partner...even if she did fly scumbag imperials!! I love reading how you're enjoying this game with your son...keep on keeping on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
twitch77 wrote:
shootsahoyt wrote:
My son crushes me with the rebels. A lot of that is he's got super powerful ships and most of it is I allow myself to get drawn in to close up dog fights and get picked apart. I tell him everyday that today's my day and he just rolls his eyes. Lol.

Man this makes me miss my mom. Her and I played there for quite a bit (who knew I'd ever in a million years get my mom into playing a miniatures game? haha!!). /sigh...she passed away this past summer and I've not played a game since. Someday I'll introduce a friend to it...someday.

And don't worry! Keep on practicing and eventually you'll start to get better at maneuvering and predicting your son's next moves (takes time!)...eventually you'll likely start out flying him and really feel like you know what you're doing...then the game just hooks you even more!! lol

I was always proud as hell of how well my mom was getting at the game. She was a better pilot then I was...I loved watching her fly through a cluster of asteroids, coming out without a scratch or a ding...or how she'd whiz right past other ships without collisions.
She was getting better and better at figuring out how to use her movements to try and stay out of my firing arcs as well...dancing around me till she could line things up just right to fire at me while I was unable to do so! /grrrrr!!! hehe

Damn it I miss this game! I miss my flying partner...even if she did fly scumbag imperials!! I love reading how you're enjoying this game with your son...keep on keeping on!

Awesome post my friend! I'm sorry about your mom! I lost my dad in 2007 and I still tear up thinking about him sometimes. It gets better with time and you'll end up smiling and laughing with the memories more than feeling sad! I'll proudly fly my scumbag Imperials thinking about this post and your mom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.