Let me start off by saying this was inspired by the variants from TheCrippledWerewolf and dbhitchcock.
Play through the deck twice, aka rounds: First round: “Barback” round: must reach 18 points first time through deck to keep playing. Second round: “Brewmaster” round: must reach/pass 42 (answer to life, the universe and everything) by end of second time through deck to win. SETUP:
Deal 5 face up display cards and cards to each player based on desired difficulty level:
Easy Summer Shandy: 1 card to AI, 4 cards to you.
Standard Pale Ale: 2 to AI, 3 to you.
Hard Hoppy IPA: 3 to AI, 2 to you.
Insane Imperial IPA: 4 to AI, 1 to you.
If you play at the Hard or Insane level and draw three of the same type of ingredient, discard the card(s) and draw new cards until you do not have 3 of the same type. Shuffle all discarded cards back into the deck before starting.
You always start each turn. Both you and AI draw cards then play/pass. On your turn, in the following order:
1. Draw two of the 5 cards. (I also play another variant within a variant: On the turn in which you first reach 21, immediately draw one more of the three face up cards and immediately play it as a brewery card or keep it as an ingredient)
2. May play one brewery card (note: “Night Shift” would allow you to brew and play a total of 2 cards. One before you brew and then another card after you brew if you have enough cards)
3. May brew one beer.
AI (let’s call him Brewce) does not play brewery cards. Instead only brews and works toward sets of 3.
1. AI takes oldest 2 cards (furthest from draw deck)
Attempts to brew - Highest scoring beer that leaves 3 like ingredients otherwise the highest scoring beer. AI does not score points but causes you to lose points: -1 (ale or porter), -2 (lambic or coffee stout), and -3 (special).
2. If AI has 3 or more like ingredients: Discard 2 from the set and you must discard 1 built card from your brewery cards in play (your choice). AI can force you to discard multiple brewery cards with multiple sets. If you have no built brewery cards, AI will discard down to two cards for each set of 3 or 4 with no impact on you.
3. Slide cards away from deck and deal 4 cards back up to 5 face up display cards.
AI never plays equipment or staff.
Play managers and tours as normal for endgame points - OR - may permanently discard that card from the game to claim immediate points as 1 build option on your turn. If you claim early points - cannot play another tour/manager again in that game.
A turn consists of you going and then Brewce going; therefore, if you reach/pass 18/42 but Brewce brews a beer that pulls you back below the threshold, then you have not met the goal that turn.
Game ends when you can not refill back up to a full 5 card display.
It is possible at the beginning of the game that Brewce will brew before you. If this happens, he brews per normal logic, but you do not drop below zero points.
- Last edited Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:02 pm (Total Number of Edits: 5)
- Posted Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 am
Dice Hate Me
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Sounds great! I'd love to give it a try.
If anyone plays, please leave a comment.
With a five game losing streak (playing at the Standard Pale Ale level) in which I couldn't even manage 18 points to pass round one, I finally pulled out a victory and it is a glorious one! A well equipped/staffed brewery with a turn or two left that I could have used to reach 42!
This has become my quick go-to solo game!