Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
I've been reading negative things about them being overpowered, etc. I'd like to play 2v2 solo.

Would removing dragons break the game?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordegast wrote:
I've been reading negative things about them being overpowered, etc. I'd like to play 2v2 solo.

Would removing dragons break the game?

Thank you

Since you're interested, why don't you try it yourself and tell us how it worked for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Because I don't own it. Cheaper to ask before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is fine with the oficial variant provided by the author, just one dragon for side and battle (you have more they battle between them/are removed). If you remove the dragons the game will still work but you have less choices and depth. Is similar to removing tactical bombers in A&A, the game still work but you lose options, so not the best solution. It is a very good game as "dudes on the map" go by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it would break the game, although you would have to remove some of the Event cards that refer to dragons. Not sure if any of the artifacts found in dungeons applies to dragons. It would also change the setup, leaving some locations less defended.

I think that it would be better to just apply some combination of nerfs suggested (dragons cost more / limited in number / only one dragon per space etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks all. From a design perspective, I think that the good guys should have eagles/griffins instead. The Nerath map has a Warcraft II feel to it, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, dragons are tied to many of the game's elements.

Some people have had success limiting dragon qty to their models (rather than stack chips under them). It makes for much smaller air fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Some people have had success limiting dragon qty to their models (rather than stack chips under them). It makes for much smaller air fleets.

Exactly. We limit the number of units to those that are provided in the box (except the footmen) and had never problems with this dragon issue. No further variants/house rules needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lance klindt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragons do cost 5 gold and if your only collecting 11-14 gold per turn it's really hard to stack that many dragons? Meanwhile other parts of your territory will get over run. Because you are no longer replacing any other units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
No dragons in Dungeons & Dragons? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there's an excellent youtube video on playtested house rules for CON by Becky Rose:
https://youtu.be/orvTjfhnj9Q

She makes some great points, solving dragons and other issues.
Kind regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Zalman wrote:
there's an excellent youtube video on playtested house rules for CON by Becky Rose:
https://youtu.be/orvTjfhnj9Q

She makes some great points, solving dragons and other issues.
Kind regards, Sal

It is a good video and has some good suggestions, but some of her fixes seem to be fixed for rules they got wrong (ie moving through empty enemy territories as friendly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Neill
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Most of the suggested fixes are for problems that don't exist because they've gotten the rules wrong!

1) Losing your capitol means you only earn 1/2 income. Doesn't seem like something players can ignore.
2) Units cannot blitz through an empty spaces and conquer more than 1 space per turn (except for the monsters).
3) If you go into a dungeon and there are multiple monsters there you are supposed to fight them all at once (that's not a house rule - its in the book).
4) One of the biggest rules I've seen people get wrong is that you can never lose victory points. In the example of people swapping spaces back and forth - the conquering player would earn VP for spaces they conquer and the responding player would just be giving more VP next turn by liberating them and leaving them empty. So its not just for gold that you capture easy to grab empty spaces - its primarily for VP (this is also what makes Dragons so powerful).

Amusing to see all of the people in the comments congratulating them on "fixing" the game with "well thought out and play-tested rules". Another gem is: "great service to someone thinking of buying this game". Maybe actually find out if any these changes have merit or are balanced before praising someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh dear, my bad.
I came across those video's while researching whether to buy CoN.
Becky's arguments make sense if you haven't read the rulebook.
Which I haven't, so apologies if they're unnecessary when rules played properly.

A lesson learned by me for future: play a game first!

Also, thanks for pointing out the correct rules.
Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.