Hide
10 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about neutral units (GOOs, Terrors, Etc) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Michel Berger Pelletier
msg tools
If you include them in your game, how often are they used? Is their doom cost worth it?

I'm asking because the game can end very quick if one player has 5 or 6 gates on turn 3 or 4 and to me I feel like the neutral units would just slow you down enough to make sure you lose in the end on the doom tracker, by something like a point or 2.

That, plus the fact that everyone is power starved, I don't see how it can be advantageous to use neutral units. Sleeper seems like the best example of a faction that can't afford to spend power on a unit that might prevent it from spawning other amazing units like formless spawns because they ran out of power too early.

So, I guess the question is: Are neutral monsters such a big investment that they prevent the use of other units, or do they still allow for the "normal growth" of a faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vhailor wrote:
If you include them in your game, how often are they used? Is their doom cost worth it?

I'm asking because the game can end very quick if one player has 5 or 6 gates on turn 3 or 4 and to me I feel like the neutral units would just slow you down enough to make sure you lose in the end on the doom tracker, by something like a point or 2.

That, plus the fact that everyone is power starved, I don't see how it can be advantageous to use neutral units. Sleeper seems like the best example of a faction that can't afford to spend power on a unit that might prevent it from spawning other amazing units like formless spawns because they ran out of power too early.

So, I guess the question is: Are neutral monsters such a big investment that they prevent the use of other units, or do they still allow for the "normal growth" of a faction?
They add quite a bit of options to the game. I encourage you to look through the various PBFs on this site. I would guess around half the games use expansions you are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since getting them, Neutrals have appeared in every game I've played. At first they seem like they might cause disruptions for the faction, but in practice they really don't. You end up either moving around less or summoning less of a monster you don't need for whatever strategy you're running with - with Servitors being an obvious exception.

The iGOOs in particular have a way of really shifting the game around. Four Power is really nothing compared to having a second (or third) GOO with game-changing abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Pr0xyWarrior wrote:
Since getting them, Neutrals have appeared in every game I've played. At first they seem like they might cause disruptions for the faction, but in practice they really don't. You end up either moving around less or summoning less of a monster you don't need for whatever strategy you're running with - with Servitors being an obvious exception.

The iGOOs in particular have a way of really shifting the game around. Four Power is really nothing compared to having a second (or third) GOO with game-changing abilities.

see? The fist sentence is the hard part for me. Each and every monster has a place in my strategy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vhailor wrote:
Pr0xyWarrior wrote:

see? The fist sentence is the hard part for me. Each and every monster has a place in my strategy!!

That's the beauty of these things, though. They allow for more depth of strategy for the factions. Take the Gug; 1 Power gets you 3 Combat, but the thing can't capture cultists. Yellow Sign doesn't care much for capturing when Zingaya is way more fun, and they could spare 1 or 2 Power to make sure that the Unspeakable one and his European mosh pit are well defended. Leng Spiders can make Cthulhu's Kill/Eliminate spellbooks easier, Servitors and Moonbeasts can wreck someone's day, Dimensional Shamblers can add a defensive bonus to a slumbering Sleeper or Hibernating Windwalker or an offensive boost to Opener forces Breaking Through.

I will say though that while neutrals allow for changes and tweaks in strategies that make the factions feel fresh after a group has played them enough times, they're overwhelming for people who are new to the game. It's much better to look into adding them if you've got regular players who are getting a handle on not only the factions themselves, but how one another use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
Part of the magic of neutral units is how they can change perception of the factions. Cthulhu is pretty good, especially after the changes he got, but buying Ghasts to turn your Shoggoth into mobile turrets capable of clearing entire areas single handed thanks to Absorb? Well worth the initial cost of Doom and two power each time you buy them.

While Cthulhu Wars seems a fairly simple game at base, the strategical depth of it is something completely different when you introduce new elements. Each neutral monster will change how the game is played. Some more than others depending on the faction in question. Here's a thread detailing strategies for using neutral units, GOOs and spellbooks. It should help give insight to working some of the neutrals into your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
ToeSama wrote:
Part of the magic of neutral units is how they can change perception of the factions. Cthulhu is pretty good, especially after the changes he got, but buying Ghasts to turn your Shoggoth into mobile turrets capable of clearing entire areas single handed thanks to Absorb? Well worth the initial cost of Doom and two power each time you buy them.

While Cthulhu Wars seems a fairly simple game at base, the strategical depth of it is something completely different when you introduce new elements. Each neutral monster will change how the game is played. Some more than others depending on the faction in question. Here's a thread detailing strategies for using neutral units, GOOs and spellbooks. It should help give insight to working some of the neutrals into your games.

thank you kind sir, have a thumbs up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
why was this transferred to rules? It has nothing to do with rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is strategy. Who moved this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to make sense of the mods around here. It hurts my head too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.