Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard about this game, so I’m glad I was able to check it out of the convention library. Don read the rules to Craig, Tim and I. This is Knizia after all, so the rules were pretty easy to understand. We played the basic setup.

Player order was Don, Tim, Craig and myself. I could see that the player going last was closest to the hex border, so I like how the staggered start accounted for the player order.

I didn’t have any great plan, but I was able buy cards that gave more income and afford more cards. Don and Craig on the other hand was able to purchase those cards that let you draw 2 more during your turn. I was the first one to get to the 3 red card location (discard 3 cards out of the game from your hand to thin your deck). The problem was that I delayed a turn to get the “bad” cards to discard, which in retrospect was a mistake. I had medium valued cards, and should have tossed those as well. I did cause a traffic jam behind me.

But I had too many yellow cards, and Don was able to break down the barriers easily with his special purple cards (and I didn’t purchase any).

Don was able to finish first and break the tie with Craig as Don had 2 barriers to Craig’s one. I got stuck without a blue card in my hand and could not finish. I would have lost on the tiebreaker anyways. So the lesson learned here was that I needed a couple special purple cards to go through my deck quicker.

Don is white, Craig is blue and both are at El Dorado, but Don wins on the tiebreak with 2 barriers to Craig's one barrier. I am yellow and stuck on the sea space behind El Dorado. Tim is red.

Game 2:Jean had joined us, and the player order was Don, Jean, Craig and myself. Going last, I drew 4 yellow cards, could not move and got jammed behind the others. I bought a transmitter, which I later used to buy a native. The transmitter is a one time buy; now that I think about it, with that so early in the game, I should have bought something that generated income for the rest of the game, rather than a one shot deal.

Don was doing well again, with the purple cards. This time I avoided the 3 red card location. Don was able to use it to throw away 3 cards. Don seemed to play better than last game, as he had 3 barriers to one of Craig, and Don finished first again. Jean had blocked me, so I couldn’t get to El Dorado again.

This was a fun game, and we all want to play again. There are different ways I would like to try to approach this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.