Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Purposely Violating Fleet Supply rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Aiken
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I read through the TI4 rules and didn't see anything preventing me from purposely violating fleet supply. Did I miss it? Or did it go the way of the dinosaur like constraints on building/using new space docks?

If it's gone, I look forward to building at my home system regardless of how full it is and simply replacing weak ships with stronger ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, looks like you can do that, but it seems like a waste of resources doing it that way, not very efficient.

I'd rather move the ships out BEFORE I build more units there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Bennett
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After looking at the rules reference I don't see any reason that you can't produce ships in your home system in excess of your fleet pool so long as by the time you conclude your tactical action that you've destroyed ships in excess of your fleet pool.

I really don't see producing ships in a system that already has ships as any different that two fleets converging in a single system and then having to destroy the ships in excess of the fleet supply.

I can't think of many good reasons to waste the credits destroying your own ships, but I don't see anything in the rules that prevents it.

The rules I looked at are listed below:

34.1 "The number of command tokens in a player's fleet pool indicates the maximum number of non-fighter ships that a player can have in a system."

34.3 "If at any time the number of a player's ships in a system exceeds the number of tokens in his fleet pool, he chooses and destroys excess ships in that system."

65.2 "A player can have a number of ships in a system equal to or less than the number of command tokens in his fleet pool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the few games of TI4 that I've played, there have actually been multiple times that someone intentionally violated Fleet Supply to destroy a ship. One was what's mentioned here -- wanting to build more ships, and not caring about the destroyer sitting in the system. However, the other times were when a VP-granting agenda was "stealable" via combat; the player who had it decided to consolidate his ships so he didn't have any systems with just one weak ship, and destroyed quite a few in doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I got official confirmation that it is fine and you can do it.
" Rules Question:
> Is it legal to violate fleet supply on purpose? 1.) For example : Let's say I have FS of 3 and I activate system with 3 ships (one carrier and 1 Fighter.) I move in carrier with 2 more fighters? Is it legal move? Can i just destroy carrier and keep fighters? Do i have to destroy ship i moved in or it can be any of the ships in the system as long as i stay under FS in the end. 2.) Can i build in system that already at the limit. For example - activate and produce in system that already at limit or will be above after i build all ships. Or using secondary of production in home system that already at capacity or will be after i finish building. (i had Destroyer and FS 3- build 3 Dreadnought and want to destroy destroyer nd keep dreadnought ) Thank you."

Hey Fedor,
If I’ve understood the scenarios you’ve set forth correctly, you can do both of the things described in these situations. In the case of #1, you can destroy any of the ships in the system and still keep the fighters, it is a legal move as long as you respect fleet supply once you’ve moved. For #2, you could build 3 dreadnoughts and destroy the destroyer that was there initially.
Let me know if you have further questions,
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer
dbeltrami@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

A bit off topic and had a look on the forums and couldn't find anything.

Can you exceed your fleet pool for combat?

e.g.
Fleet Pool = 3
2x Fleets with 3 ships converging on 1 system

Option 1 - undertaken combat with 6 ships? Destroying the excess after combat concludes.

OR
Option 2 - Would you have to destroy 3 ships as soon as it occurs (i.e. before combat)?

A lot of people seem to play by option 1 but the rules don't seem to back it up from my reading.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely #2. I'll try to find a reference for it when I am at my computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
Marlboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is clearly option 2:

Rule 34.3 - If at any time the number of a player’s ships in a system exceeds the number of tokens in his fleet pool, he chooses and destroys excess ships in that system.

Plus Dane's answer above says "it is a legal move as long as you respect fleet supply once you’ve moved".

So Fleet Supply kicks in directly after movement, before anything else starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesG wrote:
It is clearly option 2:

Rule 34.3 - If at any time the number of a player’s ships in a system exceeds the number of tokens in his fleet pool, he chooses and destroys excess ships in that system.

Plus Dane's answer above says "it is a legal move as long as you respect fleet supply once you’ve moved".

So Fleet Supply kicks in directly after movement, before anything else starts.

That seems very clear. I assume this applies to fighters as well? In combat it does not matter if you choose to lose carriers; all fighters participate in combat until they die or combat ends, at which point you must respect the combined capacity of units remaining in the system.

But, if I have a fleet supply of 3, and move to one sector with 5 carriers with capacity 4, each carrying max. fighters (20 total), before combat I would have to destroy 2 carriers because of exceeding supply. I assume that I also would have to destroy 8 fighters at the same time, and only then proceed to combat with 3 carriers + 12 fighters.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.