Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bruce,

First let me say thank you very much for your most excellent videos on game version 1.7! I pre-ordered Gandhi even before I finished reading the GMT email that first announced it on P500, and your videos have made me even more eager to play it!

I'm in a regular weekly game group and we can often marshal players for 4-, 5-, and even 6-player games, but occasionally we can fall short to only 2 or 3, plus we sometimes play solo when we're eager for a game and it's not game night. Your videos really illustrate how well the game can be played solo by playing all four factions, and that would be a great way to learn the game and also study the dynamics of the historical situation away from the turbulent winds of competitive play.

I'm curious though about how two or three players might play the game. Would two players each play a faction with the other two factions played by two Bots? There doesn't seem to be a good match for two players to take two factions each because the factions seem so very opposed to each other, and I believe you may have mentioned this in another thread earlier. Also, will there be Bots for all of the four factions or will there be Bots for only the two or three most Bot-able factions?

After watching the two videos, there is such depth of play and decision-making under uncertainty for each faction, that designing Bots for this game will be a real challenge! Of course designing Bots for each of the COIN games is a real challenge, and I'm happy that I only play with Bots and don't have to design them!

Thank you very much.

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I've thought about very much during the design process: can it be played well with fewer than 4 players? I will push to ensure that there will be 'bots for all 4 factions, but I know that some groups may wish to have players play 2 factions, ala LoD or FITL.

Part of the game narrative, however, is to show the shifting alliances between the factions that occurred during the 30 years covered by the game. Congress and the Muslim League are naturally allied at first. They share Operations and some Special Activities, their VC align to some degree also. But by the endgame, these two will likely not be allies, and they may seek to sabotage the other's VC. The Revolutionaries Historical Event card even punishes Congress and the Muslim League for having Activists in the same space. Instead, Congress may find that the Revolutionaries better support their goals. Likewise, the Muslim League may find late in the game that cooperating with the British may be in their best interest, as it was historically. It would be hard for one player to play any 2 factions because of this.

Best,

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bruce,

Thank you very much for your comments! As I watched your excellent videos and contemplated my limited knowledge of the actual history, it seemed unlikely that there could be any two factions that might be considered "allied" enough for one player to play both, and I was hopeful that there would be a full complement of Bots for all of the factions for game play by fewer than four players.

I'm really looking forward to playing the game and learning more of the history!

All the best,
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.