Hide
5 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Innate Power targetting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gail Holliday
msg tools
So I've played a bunch of Spirit Island over the last four-ish days and while I've gone from failing all the time to actually winning fairly often, learning a lot about the rules in the process, there's something I haven't been able to come up with a ruling on ever since I first thought to question it.

Can you target different thresholds of an innate power at different lands?

Like with Thunderspeaker, maybe my favorite spirit, and its first innate power that lets you push/gather the dahan. The push and gather effects are presented as two different thresholds (or sub-thresholds since they're both under the 1-animal threshold to begin with) but they're part of the same innate power. Does that mean I can only push and gather from the same single target land, or can I target one land for the push and another for the gather?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
Each innate power targets only 1 single land. (Well, except for the ones that target spirits). Even Serpent Rouses in Anger, which affects every land on the island at the final threshold, only targets one land.

For Thunderspeaker (and Sharp Fangs Behind Leaves for that matter), it's important to notice that the Gather part happens before the Push. So you can gather Dahan into a land, and then push them out of it, moving them two lands over. But you can only gather into and then push from a single land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gail Holliday
msg tools
Okay, well that solves things then, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, note Spread of Rampant Green's innate where levels two and three tell you to repeat the power, instead of doing more damage. That means that each repetition can be targeted at a different land (or at the same land), because they're independent uses of a power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to explain the reasoning behind the answers above, each Innate Power is a single power, just like a single Power Card. As such the "One Land" rule applies to them as well (p. 17).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.