Subject: Revolutionary War Version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent Dice Tower Top 100 list, it was briefly mentioned, when talking about Memoir'44, that there was a Revolutionary War version in the works. Anyone hear anything more about this??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution

Just published. I've played a couple of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199182/commands-colors-t...

Yes, Tricorne was shipped a couple of weeks ago by Compass Games.

It is a bit pricey but actually excellent in play value and components.

You will find my comments on the game using the link above.

The only thing that I would say to Memoir 44 gamers is that it is whole different gaming experience. Despite it being set in early modern times it resembles C&C Ancients by GMT but with the emphasis on long-range fire power rather than melee.

So, if you own and play other C&C games that came after Memoir then the sophistication of this new offering may very well suit you but it does not have the pace of Memoir in terms of unit mobility. The trick with this game is to hold together a battle line and the challenge is to force your opponent to crumble before you do. However, there is a lot more to the game than a simple slugfest.

Happy gaming
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks more similar to C&C Napoleonics. In fact I wonder of I can't just use that with slight mods to enjoy the revolution scenarios. I can't justify the storage needed for more C&C blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
It looks more similar to C&C Napoleonics. In fact I wonder of I can't just use that with slight mods to enjoy the revolution scenarios. I can't justify the storage needed for more C&C blocks.

The dice are different. Two flags and one infantry face. The game is based on breaking an opponent's morale rather than destroying him in the usual way. So, when a unit is forced to retreat a morale check is carried out using a sliding scale based on the units block size, type (Guard, Grenadier, Regular, Light, Provincial, Militia), whether a leader is present, etc. If the morale check fails the whole unit is lost. Since the CC Napoleonic support rules are also in play a unit standing alone has more chance of retreating than a unit wedged between two others. This is why it is important to maintain a line, like CCA. Also, the command cards and combat cards favour troops in line. For example, a line volley card or line command card can be devastating if all of your units are in a continuous line and in range of the enemy.

The beauty of this game is that when a flanking attack is launched against the end of an opponents line it really can roll-up very quickly and the whole line disintegrate just as they did in real life.

There are rare occasions when even a full strength Guard unit can crack and run. This sort of thing tends to upset ones assault plans somewhat

So you see, even when a game looks lost there are times when a couple of lucky dice for the underdog and some unlucky dice for the potential winner can level the game and everything is once more, up for grabs.

It's a brilliant game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, so this sounds like a big change over CCN. Just wish it didn't require storing yet more blocks.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Nice, so this sounds like a big change over CCN. Just wish it didn't require storing yet more blocks.cry

Yes, it's really quite a brilliant game. I do wonder how much of Tricorne's design should be present/ back fitted into Napoleonics to enhance the linear tactics of the day.

Yes, more blocks. I had to buy yet another container and with a possible expansion on the way introducing the French army it will get worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the 2nd edition of HOLD THE LINE?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198630/hold-line-america...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:
What about the 2nd edition of HOLD THE LINE?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198630/hold-line-america...

I have the 2nd edition of Hold the Line and I love the minis rather than blocks but Tricorne is a much more sophisticated game, I'm afraid, and with all of the different unit types blocks is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

I may adapt the minis from Htl to Tricorne, but Tricorne looks to supplant HtL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.