Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How to choose a proper Difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Castle Li

Maryland
msg tools
mb
Sorry for my poor English. I have 1 core + Dunwich. Last weekends, My friend and I played the two standalone scenarios (0 experience), and it seems too difficult for us.

Now we are going to start our Dunwich campaign. The question is, will it be too difficult for us if we play Standard Difficult, using cards with only 1 core and Dunwich(using none cards in the 6 Mythos Packs, both Level 0 cards and upgraded cards)?

I don't want to buy the 6 Mythos Packs. If the difficulty is OK, I'll play the 6 scenarios in Mythos Packs by pnp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try 'Easy'. It should really have been named normal or standard as it's still difficult enough (especially with 1 core).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reynolds
Ireland
Drogheda
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the greatest things about this game is the ability to set the difficulty level to whatever you want depending on what you want to get out of the game.

You can pick from the 4 preset chaos bag set ups in each campaign or you can even create your own chaos bag configuration so that you can set the difficulty somewhere in between.

Do you just want to immerse yourself into a great storyline and narrative? Then set the difficulty to easy.

If you want something a bit more challenging then use standard (for beginners) or if you are more comfortable, change up to hard. (I haven't got there yet).

One thing to remember, going insane and dying is all part of the game so expect to do so on a regular basis and accept it. It's all part of the learning process.

But most of all, enjoy the experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CastleLee wrote:

I don't want to buy the 6 Mythos Packs. If the difficulty is OK, I'll play the 6 scenarios in Mythos Packs by pnp.

Well I certainly can't endorse this. If you want to play the content the designers created, you should buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Castle Li

Maryland
msg tools
mb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
CastleLee wrote:

Well I certainly can't endorse this. If you want to play the content the designers created, you should buy it.

I agree with you. But I can't get a copy of a Mythos Pack cheaper than about $27 (without shipment).....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OUCH !!

I guess you don't really live in Maryland, then ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panama
flag msg tools
I plan to play with my gf on easy to experience the story, after that I will just play solo on standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. The only sensible option.

Although I have on occasion chosen my opening hand and made certain other changes to further reduce difficulty. It just depends how keen you are on permanent trauma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purely a matter of taste.
The standard is good for my taste. Very random ”die” an that difficulty. Very suitable or Little bit too easy to real Arkham feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im playing the dunwich campaign with my wife right now, and we wanted an easier, more story focused experience.

What I don't like about the recommended easy mode chaos bag is, that there are only numbers between +1 and -2. That makes it very predictable, and you can almost be sure to pass a test if you start with a skill 2 higher than the difficulty.

Because of that we used the normal setting, which includes the -3 and -4 difficulty spikes, and added one more 0 and +1 to the bag.

Now we have a slightly easier game, but the skill tests are still exciting.

I love this system! You can really customize it to your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.