Subject: Realistic game length? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hi there, 30-60 min game length as advertised on the box does not seem accurate. I like the game but people I play with start losing interest as the game length seems excessive for what it offers.

Was the 30-60 mins based on play-testing? Assuming you don't get wiped early I can't see the game finishing within that time. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the game length?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my experience, 3-4 hours with 3 players (sometimes may be 5, if playing slowly). Less with two, more with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeriusDen wrote:
According to my experience, 3-4 hours with 3 players (sometimes may be 5, if playing slowly). Less with two, more with 4.

That is crazy long! Our 3 player tops out at 2 with a new player. We can usually get a 3 player game in around 1.5. Never played 4 player but based off of our play times I would think 2.5 tops.

Our 2 player games run about an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
JavaGammer wrote:

Any tips on how to speed up the game? An hour game that goes the full 9 rounds would mean each 2 player round would have to be done in about 6 and a half minutes.

Maybe I'm just slow haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this way... Each player resolves the first enemy in the lane simultaneously after all effects are finished and combats fought, we go to the next enemy and so on. I find that is speeds up the game and there is less player downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herbz wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

Any tips on how to speed up the game? An hour game that goes the full 9 rounds would mean each 2 player round would have to be done in about 6 and a half minutes.

Maybe I'm just slow haha.

Maybe we just play fast. LOL Purchasing new items doesnt take long because we have a good idea from the start what we are going for given our department. Maybe takes a minute or two to set our lanes. Then it is just flip and resolve. May take 30 to 45 seconds to resolve each alien. Maybe a minute if we need to bounce ideas off each other or use something from another player. Also maybe 2 minutes if both alien or troop make it past first round of combat. It is a pretty easy combat system which resloves very quick. Check for abilities which can be applied before combat, check weather and see if revealed alien gets bonus. Check attack rating, check armor, apply damage. IDK, it just really clicks for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaGammer wrote:
[Maybe we just play fast. LOL Purchasing new items doesnt take long because we have a good idea from the start what we are going for given our department. Maybe takes a minute or two to set our lanes. Then it is just flip and resolve. May take 30 to 45 seconds to resolve each alien. Maybe a minute if we need to bounce ideas off each other or use something from another player. Also maybe 2 minutes if both alien or troop make it past first round of combat. It is a pretty easy combat system which resloves very quick. Check for abilities which can be applied before combat, check weather and see if revealed alien gets bonus. Check attack rating, check armor, apply damage. IDK, it just really clicks for us.

I envy you. I love this game but there is way too much socializing and alcohol to make it any less than +40min per player when it comes to Xenoshyft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
jefe8699 wrote:
We play this way... Each player resolves the first enemy in the lane simultaneously after all effects are finished and combats fought, we go to the next enemy and so on. I find that is speeds up the game and there is less player downtime.

I had tried that a few times and surprisingly the game felt more isolating as player interaction decreased in my group, since everyone just sort of focussed on their own lane, instead of really paying attention to what was happening with other players.

The other problem we had was timing of special abilities and powers, like an ability that would trigger to something that happened across multiple lanes simultaneously. It caused a bit of disruption several times, but for the life of me, I can't remember a specific example at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:
[Maybe we just play fast. LOL Purchasing new items doesnt take long because we have a good idea from the start what we are going for given our department. Maybe takes a minute or two to set our lanes. Then it is just flip and resolve. May take 30 to 45 seconds to resolve each alien. Maybe a minute if we need to bounce ideas off each other or use something from another player. Also maybe 2 minutes if both alien or troop make it past first round of combat. It is a pretty easy combat system which resloves very quick. Check for abilities which can be applied before combat, check weather and see if revealed alien gets bonus. Check attack rating, check armor, apply damage. IDK, it just really clicks for us.

I envy you. I love this game but there is way too much socializing and alcohol to make it any less than +40min per player when it comes to Xenoshyft.

Lol, yea... can't argue there. I play with may 17 year old son a lot so we don't have that issue. Sure sounds fun though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.