Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how often do you go back & return to the beginning, or to a particular quest/cycle?

I’ve been playing this 2-player with a colleague at work for about 18 months now some lunchtimes & we’re currently halfway through the Voice Of Isengard cycle. Generally our approach has been to keep playing each quest until we succeed at it. Sometimes this mean we end up playing a certain quest for quite a while with different decks, plus we only get an hour for lunch and sometimes we run out of time to complete a quest in a session.

Recently I have been thinking of starting again from the beginning with Journey Through Mirkwood with the full player card pool to enjoy some advanced one-handed deck-building. So I just wondered how often other players are starting again or returning to favourite quests/cycles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play as you do, and occasionally take breaks from the game altogether.
Our plan is to work our way, in order, through all the material that was released. If we ever get to the end, our plan is to restart from the beginning. With all the new cards we picked up along the way, it should be fun to revisit the older scenarios again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
tonksey wrote:
Recently I have been thinking of starting again from the beginning with Journey Through Mirkwood with the full player card pool to enjoy some advanced one-handed deck-building. So I just wondered how often other players are starting again or returning to favourite quests/cycles?

I'm pretty early in the game, but I've enjoyed revisiting PtM and JatA pretty regularly. Since I know the encounter deck pretty well, these quests help me intentionally work out various card effects and combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gf and I have almost 100 plays logged so far. We play like you, keep going at a mission until we beat it (apart from Dol Goldur and Shadow and Flame, which we gave up on).

However, we hit an absolute brick wall with Heirs of Numenor, and since we had played the same spheres (I play tactics/lore and she plays leadership/spirit), we had a hard time giving each other tips on how to optimize decks and what cards to use. So we ended up switching spheres (I took leadership/spirit and she took tactics/lore) and started again from the beginning. We're halfway through Mirkwood, and absolutely loving it. It almost feels like a completely new game, since we're using completely new decks. Lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
However, we hit an absolute brick wall with Heirs of Numenor [...]

You should try it with one of you playing a mono Tactics deck. Especially Tactics Boromir (ideally equipped with Gondorian Shield) can work wonders here. This was how I tackled those brutal quests.

Unfortunately my time is so scarce that I barely get through the newer quests. But I totally could see myself going back to the older ones when having more time at hand. I have a lot of nice memories about the Mirkwood and Dwarrodelf cycle and would love to replay especially the latter. I recently got all the nightmare packs for those through a lucky ebay grab and am eager to go back to the old quests with my extended cardpool and the added challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Coman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have up to the Dwarrowdelf cycle, and I've restarted from the Core quests twice, and plan to do it more. The replayability of the different decks is one of my fav things about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.