Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia» Forums » General

Subject: some questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to set up Euphoria last night. I set up a 2 player game and played both sides, just so I could get a feel for the gameplay and be prepared to teach the game to my family/gaming partners.

I was a bit lost at first as figuring out what to do at the start is a bit overwhelming.

A few things came up that I was curious on and want to make sure I am understanding correctly:

is there ever a reason I would want my 2 recruits to be from different factions? Having them both be the same seems like a huge benefit. sure if i have a hidden recruit in a faction that my opponent is showing I am secretly benefiting, but why wouldn't I just consolidate my effort on 1 faction?

The tier benefits from the allegiance track only benefit peope with a face up recruit of that faction. correct? In my game, purple had a face Icarite who gave 1 extra Bliss when purple placed a worker alone in the Cloud mine. Once the allegiance track benefit added another +1, this meant that purple could gather 3 bliss from 1 placement. Green's recruit benefit in no way was as strong (especially in a 2 player game). Is this normal?

Finally, why would I ever take a recruit rather than the star from the ethical dilemma? Free star seems like such a no brainer to me. I suppose you could hope to draw a recruit that you could immediately put a star on if the allegiance track is complete so you get a star and a benefit but that is hardly a guarantee. what am I missing here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say all your points are quite valid.

I'd tend to choose whether to stick with one faction of recruits based on number of players. In a 2-3 player game there's a good chance that I'm the only player working one faction which then means I get hindered trying to advance their tracker, especially if another player works that out and puts a 5 spot worker on my generator/cloud mine etc.

That's also green's response to purple having a recruit that gives bonus bliss when alone in the cloud mine. Not only is he blocking Purple's recruit bonus but also limiting the ways purple will advance the Icarite tracker.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player game probably much different strategy wise. I've only ever played 5-6 player games.

Our strategy regarding recruits is try to have different factions because you get more stars that way. Same faction recruits you only get one star regardless the number of recruits from that one faction.

Almost all our players take the extra recruit. Last game though two of us took the star for the ethical dilemma. I think you are correct that people think the extra benefit of the recruit combined with possibility of another starcout weighs just taking the star. I think it's an in game decision that needs to be made based on how the game is going.

This is an excellent game that everyone who plays loves it and seems to always get played when we have a large group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Chrysopoulos
Greece
Thessaloniki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:

Our strategy regarding recruits is try to have different factions because you get more stars that way. Same faction recruits you only get one star regardless the number of recruits from that one faction.


From the rules:

All players place 1 authority
token on each of their recruits
of that faction.


So if you have 3 blue recruits then all 3 will get stars!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Granovsky
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
is there ever a reason I would want my 2 recruits to be from different factions? Having them both be the same seems like a huge benefit. sure if i have a hidden recruit in a faction that my opponent is showing I am secretly benefiting, but why wouldn't I just consolidate my effort on 1 faction?


Well in this issue you have several points to consider, of course seems as best to have both recruits from the same faction, however you could have the bad luck of choosing a faction that other users use a lot to get resources, this would mean lots of high numbers making it very hard for you to advance the allegiance track. it's a "all the eggs in the same basket" kind-of situation

Quote:
The tier benefits from the allegiance track only benefit peope with a face up recruit of that faction. correct? In my game, purple had a face Icarite who gave 1 extra Bliss when purple placed a worker alone in the Cloud mine. Once the allegiance track benefit added another +1, this meant that purple could gather 3 bliss from 1 placement. Green's recruit benefit in no way was as strong (especially in a 2 player game). Is this normal?


Yes, if the dice in the cloud mine sum 9 or more, the second dice, from purple on this example, would gather the 2 standard clouds +1 for the Icarite recruit, however he would suffer the knowledge increase.

Quote:
Finally, why would I ever take a recruit rather than the star from the ethical dilemma? Free star seems like such a no brainer to me. I suppose you could hope to draw a recruit that you could immediately put a star on if the allegiance track is complete so you get a star and a benefit but that is hardly a guarantee. what am I missing here?


Well, this is a matter of strategy, if you are focusing on a single faction not only you would get the same star at the moment of reaching the "face-up" point in the allegiance track but would have an additional ability from that recruit, so seems to be a good bonus.

This are all choices to be made to have a better strategy in the game and to know that each player can play the game in a very different way and have a different experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhtsos wrote:
gohrns wrote:

Our strategy regarding recruits is try to have different factions because you get more stars that way. Same faction recruits you only get one star regardless the number of recruits from that one faction.


From the rules:

All players place 1 authority
token on each of their recruits
of that faction.


So if you have 3 blue recruits then all 3 will get stars!


WoW! We have played that wrong this whole time. Well that will definitely make it a shorter game. Thanks for pointing that out.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.