Warpgate» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for opinions from all you 4X and space-game veterans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know this does probably not count as a true 4X game, so excuse the thread title.

To begin with, I am looking for quite some time for an area control/4 or 3 X/battle/strategic game set in a sci-fi space setting. I have to admit I have no big experiences in this genre but feel drawn to it. I played Twilight Imperium twice and it was amazing as it was exhausting, almost too huge. I got Eclipse recommended often, but this also seems quite intense and time-consuming.
Don't get me wrong, I love heavier and intense games, but I don't really have the time and player group to commit to them on a regular basis.

This is what interests me about this game. It seems like a streamlined version of an area control space game, which still has a lot of interesting decisions. I also like the diceless combat system. It doesn't seem as interesting (in the means of complex) as, let's say, Blood Rage when it comes to the area control aspect, but Blood Rage isn't set in space though .

Problem is I am lacking comparisons and experiences here. So I'd be interested what you others out there think. Are there similar games like this one? May this game be a little too streamlined or could this be a real alternative to the monstrous space games?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
Leonce wrote:

I know, I know this does probably not count as a true 4X game, so excuse the thread title.
Problem is I am lacking comparisons and experiences here. So I'd be interested what you others out there think.

You are on point that Warpgate is not a 4X game. But it's not trying to be one

I don't feel like I am in a position to make fair comparisons, so I'll just say that there's a full play-through, Print&Play and Tabletopia setup available so you can try it yourself and see if you like it or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Arty!

I did watch the playthrough of course and like it a lot. I didn't know about the Tabletopia version, so I should try it out.

I would still be intersted in some opinions and also if someone knows similar "lighter" space games. This one does appeal to me a lot but maybe there are others I just don't know about?

I guess my problem is that I am looking for a game lighter than Twilight Imperium but on the other side I am kind of worried that Warpgate might feel a bit too streamlined. Sorry, I don't expect anyone here to solve my problem. But maybe someone has some more interesting thoughts about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remco van Wees
Netherlands
Amersfoort
---- select state ----
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen the entire gameplay video yet but I am also interested in warpgate. About other lighter space games, mission red planet pops to my mind but it is a total different game and empires of the void II will be released soon. You have also xia which is not really lighter than TI I believe but it has more focus on the exploration aspect. I hope this gives some inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Galactic Emperor, Dominic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.