Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a friend in need of a gift. Briefest possible description of his experience:

Rages at Archipelago
Loves Twilight Struggle and Puerto Rico
Said 'Anything with cards'

Not much to go on so am appealing to y'all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
Splendor
Ticket to Ride

Carcassonne is by far the easiest and though you can block opponents it's usually doesn't happen until you know the game.

Splendor is also very easy but the strategy has more depth and you have to plan ahead.

Ticket to Ride has a few more rules and definitely can be competitive, it doesn't have to but can be. Still very easy but not 'mental' of a game as Splendor. DEFINITELY get the 1910 expansion for this base game. And if you like it there are standalone versions that have maps all over the world. Each with a few added and different rules. But the USA is the first and most likely the best to learn from, with the expansion.

Me? I'd get all three for sure.

If you want a deeper game but co-op Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something heavier with a drafting/deck building mechanism:

Terraforming Mars
Great Western Trail
Blood Rage (includes area control and miniatures)

7 Wonders for an easier game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good suggestions

I think he had something heavier in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I apologize, but given the OP said he loves Twilight Struggle and Puerto Rico, both medium heavy Euros, I think those suggestions are far too light.

I'd go for something like Concordia, Terraforming Mars or Great Western Trail

edit: ninja'd. In that case +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of his group owns Blood Rage and I own GWT. 7 Wonders is a good shout though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he loves Puerto Rico, the games don't have to be too 'simple' I guess.
Have a look a Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age: nice gateway workerplacement games. Look good, easy to grasp and lots of fun.
Or maybe Potion Explosion or Kingdom Builder. Gmes look also impressive, straightforward rules and just fun to play. They also work when coworkers or other casual gamers are over for dinner and games.
If he likes cards, try a deckbuilder, like Valeria: Card Kingdoms or Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure.
These are all gateway games.
Highly recommended games that are more the weight of Puerto Rico are Terraforming Mars and Concordia. Two of my favorites!

Edit: ninjad for some titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a couple of copies of Concordia kicking about. Does Terraforming Mars not still suffer the whole component quality thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badger101x wrote:
We have a couple of copies of Concordia kicking about. Does Terraforming Mars not still suffer the whole component quality thing?

The player boards do suffer from being knocked, but the component quality issues are overrated IMO. They're better than Castles of Burgundy, and the game deserves better, but they aren't 'bad'. They're just not 'great'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badger101x wrote:

My copy has seen between 20 and 30 plays and I don't have any complaint yet. Was a little woried the first time I saw the game. But the quality of the components seem to be better than they look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badger101x wrote:

If you have Concordia, the new version of Brass coming out might be along your lines. The art is beautiful and the game definitely has depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah a close friend got the full Brass package and am really looking forward to that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you need something a bit more offbeat. Take a look at Lewis & Clark for a great mix of deckbuilding and worker placement.
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game for area control, combat, and engine building.
If it can be without cards: Keyflower is one of my favorites. It nicely combines worker placement and bidding with some tile-placement and a resource production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because he likes Twilight Struggle and wants something with cards, I'd recommend Combat Commander: Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions folks... I don't think cards were essential but he clearly enjoys managing hands and resources...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badger101x wrote:
Yeah a close friend got the full Brass package and am really looking forward to that

I'm looking forward to Brass as well. Somehow, don't ask, I'm getting three copies. Now I need to find someone who wants two of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always willing to help a fellow Badger.

Churchill
Mage Knight Board Game
anything from GMTs' Coin series -- pick something with a theme you think he will like:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/guide-gmt-game...
GMT's own site: http://www.gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx
+1 Combat Commander Europe

Now, if you also have a requirement 'plays 4 or 5' then this is not a very good list. Let us know about player count if it matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients and the rest of that family are great medium-light card-driven games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-5 player count is generally the range...

So far am thinking:
Terraforming Mars
Some GMT title
Istanbul
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep

All good suggestions... decisions, decisions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Great Western Trail. Simply an amazing game, your friend will love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Relph
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
Another recommendation for Great Western Trail. Simply an amazing game, your friend will love it!

In the same "Great Designer Series" is Kraftwagen. Also really fantastic.

Also try Evolution: Climate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.