Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He wants to be shown "...the curve...".

I
, on the other hand, want to be shown that he actually has a brain inside his head, because on this basis, it's dubious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that's the deal with the Flat Earth Society! It's just a long-term con to get the members tickets on Virgin Galactic flights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
As I posted in a thread last week the FES is a shill organization set up by round Earth hoaxers to make FE "truthers" look stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe people are willing to look dumb in order to generate publicity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Literally any flat earther can charter a high altitude flight and prove to themselves the world is not flat. Unfortunately, they can't quite afford it on their part time Home Depot job wages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
As I posted in a thread last week the FES is a shill organization set up by round Earth hoaxers to make FE "truthers" look stupid.

I thought FES was an organization set up to make YEC look smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the first comment on the crowdfunding page:

Quote:
I'll donate $1000 if you can tell me what that curved shadow is on a crescent moon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
cbazler wrote:
I love the first comment on the crowdfunding page:

Quote:
I'll donate $1000 if you can tell me what that curved shadow is on a crescent moon?

Already solved!

I've also seen people claim the moon is self illuminated and turns parts of it's illumination "off", for... reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Well, compared to 9/11 "truthers", Flat-Earthers look like geniuses, so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brkmrtn wrote:
Maybe people are willing to look dumb in order to generate publicity...

Can you leave Trump out of this please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Well, compared to 9/11 "truthers", Flat-Earthers look like geniuses, so there's that.

Can this Flat-Earth be the parallel one where unstable, insecure autocrats aren't dickwaving ICBMs at each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just in case nobody noticed, this is a joke fundraiser. FES is a joke too. Nobody* really thinks the earth is flat, they are just having fun trolling people who take things too seriously. See the church of the FSM for another example.

* OK, well, there are a lot of people in the world and many who are genuinely stupid/gullible, so perhaps "nobody" is too strong a word. But the vast majority of the people who pretend to think so are just fooling around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
theapostlegreen wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Can this Flat-Earth be the parallel one where unstable, insecure autocrats aren't dickwaving ICBMs at each other?

Why not? If it is, when's the next shuttle boarding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Literally any flat earther can charter a high altitude flight and prove to themselves the world is not flat. Unfortunately, they can't quite afford it on their part time Home Depot job wages.

They could do also try any number of grade-school level projects that demonstrate a round Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

They could do also try any number of grade-school level projects that demonstrate a round Earth...

Nah, they're too bad at science to believe those results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep waiting for their explanation of time zones, and how, if I don't change the time on a watch and move west, it just gets dark later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Literally any flat earther can charter a high altitude flight and prove to themselves the world is not flat...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91312/discworld-ankh-mor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Nobody* really thinks the earth is flat, they are just having fun trolling people who take things too seriously. See the church of the FSM for another example.

* OK, well, there are a lot of people in the world and many who are genuinely stupid/gullible, so perhaps "nobody" is too strong a word. But the vast majority of the people who pretend to think so are just fooling around.

I think there's a way to do parody/spoof well (the Onion often does), but just "I'm going to say I believe in something ridiculous" really isn't sufficient. Lots of people believe wildly crazy things. Should we also assume all the "Earth is only 6,000 years old" people are just joking? I gather many of them are quite serious, but that's only a few hairs less ridiculous than a flat Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Talmanes wrote:
Nobody* really thinks the earth is flat, they are just having fun trolling people who take things too seriously. See the church of the FSM for another example.

I think there's a way to do parody/spoof well (the Onion often does), but just "I'm going to say I believe in something ridiculous" really isn't sufficient. Lots of people believe wildly crazy things. Should we also assume all the "Earth is only 6,000 years old" people are just joking? I gather many of them are quite serious, but that's only a few hairs less ridiculous than a flat Earth.

Indeed, it can be hard to tell. In this case, my own judgment is to believe that the YECs are sincere, but not the flat earthers. I admit this is only my sense of the situation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Just in case nobody noticed, this is a joke fundraiser. FES is a joke too. Nobody* really thinks the earth is flat, they are just having fun trolling people who take things too seriously. See the church of the FSM for another example.

Does Go fund me pay out even if it fails? Just wondering since it is at 2K+ already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.