Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Strategy

Subject: It's PURPOSELY designed to be hard to get gold straight off the bat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Whitelegg
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Stone Age is one of my fave games. Detractors of the game often point to the 'luck' in getting the resources with the dice rolls.
I believe this has been masterfully put in deliberately by the designers. They could have easily given the players a couple of starting tools. The whole idea thematically though is that you start as cavemen with not even a hut to your name, scrabbling about in the dirt for resources. Why should you be immediately able to pull chunks of gold out of the ground?
As soon as you have one tool new options open up. You are then guaranteed to get a food with one worker or a wood with 2 workers. With a second tool several more guaranteed resource gathering options open up.
This seems a magnificently streamlined and elegant mechanism for showing the development of your tribe.
I have even heard of players using special weighted dice with only 3 plus on them to guarantee gold with only 2 workers from the start.I think they have missed the rather ingenious development system totally.
Anyway just thought I'd mention it because I've seen many high profile reviewers writing Stone Age off as good but 'luck driven'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting take on it. I've only played the game a few times but I see what your saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is luck in Stone Age, but it's pretty much manageable. I hate dice games but I can live with Stone Age. If you plan for only rolling 1's then you are always going to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not entirely understanding your point about gold. Why would anyone want to spend 6 dice pips on one gold resource at the start of the game when it will get you 3 wood? Those three wood will get you the first two cards on the track but a gold only gets the first. Yes gold is worth 6 points if spent on huts but that is a mid to end game strategy once you get your engine going with workers and food.

I think if anyone seriously targets gold as a resource from the start of the game, then either they are misunderstanding the rules or are failing to grasp the obvious flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
I'm not entirely understanding your point about gold. Why would anyone want to spend 6 dice pips on one gold resource at the start of the game when it will get you 3 wood? Those three wood will get you the first two cards on the track but a gold only gets the first. Yes gold is worth 6 points if spent on huts but that is a mid to end game strategy once you get your engine going with workers and food.

I think if anyone seriously targets gold as a resource from the start of the game, then either they are misunderstanding the rules or are failing to grasp the obvious flow of the game.

I think that might be the point he's trying to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.