Subject: Do I have room in my collection for another epic sci-fi game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for the second edition of Battlestations to arrive any day now.
In a month or two, Star Saga should also arrive.

So I question myself: Do I really have room for another epic sci-fi game?
What would be the argument to invest in this title - What does it do differently than the above mentioned games?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:

What would be the argument to invest in this title - What does it do differently than the above mentioned games?

I think the main thing it does differently, is provide more of a "storybook" vibe than those two perhaps?

Honestly... I'm torn too. My general reaction would be to back SotLS, play it, and figure out which of the three to sell off. I -suspect- you'll find one of them acting as middle ground between the other two, and you'll probably be able to recoup your costs. My guess (not knowing you or your tastes):

Battlestations will scratch a kind of high crunch, high simulationist itch, and feel like a tactically rich sci-fi dungeon crawl with some interesting scenarios; a kind of RPG/Board-Game hybrid.

I suspect Star Saga is going to offer you much the same as Battlestations, but with a greater skewing towards miniature wargaming ("is this template angled to maximum effectiveness?"). It may also have the best production values of all 3, and if you backed the KS the minis may have been worth it alone.

SotLS is probably going to have the most simplistic and straightforward mechanics of the three... and then throw in all sorts of exceptions and twists (and editing errors) to muddy things up. It will also likely have the strongest emphasis on exploring an actual story, and -may- hold its resell value the best.

For me... I'm looking at dumping Galactic Defenders, to justify keeping Sine Tempore and this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Stations stands out as much from similarly themed games as Tomb did I say it's worth getting in on it. I bought all of Tomb bit by bit - decent online vendor prices - but still nothing compared to the standee KS offer as far as game content goes. I didn't want to repeat my Tomb mistake and backed this one post hast. The narrative aspect is strong here too, making solo gaming especially appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
dbc- wrote:

I think the main thing it does differently, is provide more of a "storybook" vibe than those two perhaps?

Honestly... I'm torn too. My general reaction would be to back SotLS, play it, and figure out which of the three to sell off. I -suspect- you'll find one of them acting as middle ground between the other two, and you'll probably be able to recoup your costs. My guess (not knowing you or your tastes):

Battlestations will scratch a kind of high crunch, high simulationist itch, and feel like a tactically rich sci-fi dungeon crawl with some interesting scenarios; a kind of RPG/Board-Game hybrid.

I suspect Star Saga is going to offer you much the same as Battlestations, but with a greater skewing towards miniature wargaming ("is this template angled to maximum effectiveness?"). It may also have the best production values of all 3, and if you backed the KS the minis may have been worth it alone.

SotLS is probably going to have the most simplistic and straightforward mechanics of the three... and then throw in all sorts of exceptions and twists (and editing errors) to muddy things up. It will also likely have the strongest emphasis on exploring an actual story, and -may- hold its resell value the best.

For me... I'm looking at dumping Galactic Defenders, to justify keeping Sine Tempore and this.

I have also pledged for this and Sine Tempore. Has there been a word on how much the miniature for this have been improved over the Lost Temple. I hate to say this but they were pretty poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
checkedout wrote:

I have also pledged for this and Sine Tempore. Has there been a word on how much the miniature for this have been improved over the Lost Temple. I hate to say this but they were pretty poor.

I decided to drop my early bird with minis and grab a standees and get the two expansions.

Still cheaper than getting minis, and I figure the 40mm scale is too different to be very useful at my RPG table (plus, well done standees can stand out). And if Lost Station is anything like Lost Tomb, there'll hopefully be another chance or two (or three) to get those minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D (to the Izzle)
msg tools
mbmb
checkedout wrote:
San Dee Jota wrote:
dbc- wrote:

The minis will be vastly different and improved. They are using the same people that do Imperial Assault and the CMON games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Samartino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
dbc- wrote:

I am the Lead Designer of the game... so my opinion is obviously biased. But I did want to say thank you for your consideration and hope to see you on the Station. We take off in just over 48hrs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woof
msg tools
I decided to get this even though I have other Sci-fi themed games as I just love space operas! and this one, on top of the very interesting (from what I've read) core and expansion story arcs will also have the opportunity to re-create classic sci-fi scenarios, through the fan-inspired mission packs 1-3, from so many different sources. So, in that sense, it does have a pretty unique twist to it. It's scale does seem to be pretty epic (to steal the phrase used often to describe this game) :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
checkedout wrote:
San Dee Jota wrote:
dbc- wrote:

Yes, we've upgraded our Miniatures Manufacturer since then! We're using the same as CMON and FFG now

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always more room... ... I've got 3 other space games coming in the next 6 months (well...planned delivery so who knows). I expect this one will be different enough to not only stand out, but get more play time then the rest..(also basing this on how much I'm enjoying SotLT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for galaxy defender standees. Also upped another $50 for lost missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.