Subject: Have you actually ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
...tripped on your shoelace?

Poll
Your shoelace is untied. Your parents have ingrained it into you.
Tie it up, or "you're going to trip on your shoelace!"
I don't recall ever tripping on an untied shoelace
Ah, ah, ah! Sage advice-- I've tripped on an untied shoelace before
Never going to happen. I wear loafers (Or sandals. Or shoes fastened with velcro)
      105 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to add any other examples of "Advice that sounds reasonable initially, but has a very slim chance of ever harming you".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the shoelace thing, I went to school with one guy who never tied his laces. Ever.
We used to follow him and step on a dragging lace; standing on it and deliberately tripping him. He still never tied them, and eventually we got bored with it. Too easy.
But he never tripped on his own laces, as far as I know.

We did get him good, once, though: Sitting in class, a friend of mine climbed stealthily under his seat, and tied his loose laces to the leg of his chair.
When the kid got up to leave at the end of class, he pulled the chair and desk over in an enormous racket, and barely missed knocking his teeth out on another desk when he went down.
We were laughing our asses off, but soon realized that he'd barely escaped a serious injury, so that was the last of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
...tripped on your shoelace?

Probably, if I stepped on the lace of the opposite foot. But I could trip over the change in the pattern of the carpet at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one untied shoelace it's pretty easy to make sure you never trip. Always start walking with the tied shoe, during a normal stride the untied shoelace will never get under the opposite foot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just walk with a wider gait (wobble back and forth) to avoid untied shoelaces. Also prepares one for becoming obese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for

I may have done, but then I trip up all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
No, but my bike chain is my version of Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True story. (And I mean REALLY true this time, not the normal 10%-truth-is-all-that's-required of a normal war story...)

When I was in training at Squadron Officer School (a month and a half course the Air Force sends captains to, in theory to help prepare them to become field-grade officers as majors) one of the activities was a confidence course of sorts. You'd be presented with a problem, and have to use your 6 person team to overcome the problem/obstacle/difficulty and complete the exercise.

My group was running through one of the scenarios, which involved a pool with some logs and boards, and quietly getting from one side to the other carrying a box. No part of a teammember's body was allowed to touch the water, nor could the box, and the logs/boards were not very stable. (There were more details, but they're not relevant to the story at hand - and frankly, that was a long time ago. I probably wouldn't get them right anyway...)

My team had made a couple of early mistakes - mistakes which cost you time penalties - and we were now in danger of not being able to complete the challenge within the allotted time limit. However, we had rallied, and finally come up with and implemented a workable plan, using a series of folks to be able to both stabilize the boards while others handed the box off and worked it across the barrier. The box made it to the other side, and all we had to do was get out last couple of folks across to safety, and we'd barely make it.

...except... the last one of our team, a third-rate SOB with all the grace and balance of a newborn baby deer, has his shoelace untied. In a dramatic moment of epic failure, he manages to trip on his shoelace while trying to navigate the final log, and ends up losing his balance just enough to end up with his foot in the water. All he needed was one more step to safety - hell, even trip and FALL to safety, as long as he cleared the water... but it was not to be.

...30 second time penalty, with only 25 seconds or so left. Mission fail.

...and yeah. I was that son of a bitch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Define trip. Untied laces have caused me to stumble but no i have never full in tripped and fell flat on my face.

PS. I wish wearing velcro shoes was socially acceptable as an adult. Laces are so stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Many times.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Feel free to add any other examples of "Advice that sounds reasonable initially, but has a very slim chance of ever harming you".

I haven't yet been put in an ambulance where they checked for dirty underwear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Further question: have you ever heard of anyone who hurt themselves running with scissors? Not saying it's a good idea, but has serious injury actually ever happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stepped on an untied shoelace and tripped someone before, but not my
own.

Although I can recall a time when I had an untied shoelace get caught in an escalator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tripped on untied laces, but I have had them gobbled up by an escalator! I do not recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a semi-related note, for those who hate tying laces but hate velcro more, I stumbled across this...

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm

http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/tying_ian_shoelace_knot.asp

Ian's knot is awesome. Wish I'd learned it as a kid instead of 40 years later.

Why laces instead of velcro? Because when velcro wears out, you pretty much toss out your shoes. When laces wear out, you go to the local dollar store and buy replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I've tripped on my own tied laces, because the damned things were too long and I could not find any shorter ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
PlowStr8 wrote:
On a semi-related note, for those who hate tying laces but hate velcro more, I stumbled across this...

Um...

Maybe this is just one of those regional things, but I've never come across someone who doesn't use that knot for their shoes (or the double-knot that is a stop further on). That's just how we tie them, and, as a child, it never occurred to me to do it any other way; well, no, there was always the un-un-doable knot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
PlowStr8 wrote:

Um...

Maybe this is just one of those regional things, but I've never come across someone who doesn't use that knot for their shoes (or the double-knot that is a stop further on). That's just how we tie them, and, as a child, it never occurred to me to do it any other way; well, no, there was always the un-un-doable knot

Well, not that the internet is the end-all of irrefutable facts or anything, but on the website I cited, there are a multitude of knots besides Ians, and one of them is called the Standard knot, which seems to imply that it's in more common use than Ians? Like you said, could be regional. Consider yourself lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Loafers, yo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In this poll does tripped = stumble or fall? #AskingForAFriend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:

fieggen.com wrote:
Ian's Shoelace Site – Bringing you the fun, fashion & science of shoelaces

That confirms it for me. Fun? Science? Shoelaces?
Some people have far too much time on their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds of the this Chit-Chatter who claimed to be working in a funeral home. Seems his job was prepping the corpses for the wake. He always made sure to tie the laces of the deceased together so that in case of a zombie apocalypse he would have the last laugh. Even took it as a bit of a 'just in case patriotic duty'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
PlowStr8 wrote:

Um...

But, Ian's the inventor of the Ian knot. There's no way you could have been doing it that long - or me either ever since middle school. Come to think of it, the military couldn't have been teaching soldiers to do it that way in WWII. That Ian is a genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:

Why laces instead of velcro? Because when velcro wears out, you pretty much toss out your shoes. When laces wear out, you go to the local dollar store and buy replacements.

I just tried to tie that knot...and realized I'm wearing loafers. Another day, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.