Subject: How to prepare for the game coming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Beidelman
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I've been following the project since the first round got delivered from Kickstarter and last November went ahead and decided to buy in and ordered a 1.5 set and Gambler's chest.

However, I fell in love mainly with the theme and game aspects, while being excited for the miniatures.

I've never built miniatures before. The closer I get, the more I worry that I might be out of my depth. But I'm still excited.

Are there any tips on how I can learn to build minis and what tools I will need before the game gets here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy good modeling cement like Tamiya, sprue trimmers, files and an X-acto knife.

Work slow and pre-fit the pieces to see how they go before you apply glue. Sand contact points gently so they fit nice and tight. Let the glue dry a bit between assembly steps. Modeling cement will give you time to correct mistakes.

That's the basics, I bought a couple models from the store to practice on and they went together very nicely and took about an hour each. Very high quality designs and the hard plastic is easy to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to link back to reddit, but these threads do a great job summarizing intros to the game/hobby.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/5gh91r/kdm_st...

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/5pp5vq/the_be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't stress out about it. This stuff is supposed to be fun, right? Once I changed my mind set to that, assembling models (and painting them) become half the fun for me.

There are resources to help you as well. Take a look at Vibrant Lantern, the site has a guide for assembling all of the existing models for the game and that all you need worry about for a while as the rest you ordered won't be out for a year+ at this point.

Feel free to ask for advice here too, I'll help in any way I can though it will have to be more "theory" specific to KDM as I am in the same boat as you, waiting for my 1.5 :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be prepared. Some of the larger models are incredibly complex. There are also no instructions on how they go together. I am waiting for the core game, but I picked up the Sunstalker, Slenderman and Lonely Tree expansions during the Black Friday sale. Let me just say that the Lonely Tree was a real challenge to assemble, mainly because it was like assembling a jigsaw puzzle! I found it fun, but that may not be for everyone.

You can check out the webpage:

http://vibrantlantern.com/

It has plenty of photos and helpful tips on building the models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alderman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to help with any advice too!

Vibrant Lantern is a HUUUUGEE resource. I would have never been able to assemble a few of the expansions (I'm looking at you 'Lonely Tree'...) without the help from that site.

The thing I love most about this game is that you build the miniatures as you go. I mean, you don't have to, but I remember the overwhelming amount of work I had to do to get Shadows of Brimstone up and running. With KD, you can build as you go.

Have some poster putty handy. It always helps me with picking up small pieces, holding pieces together as the glue dries, etc.

Big Sixer said it best; take your time and have fun. You've earned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
aereuske wrote:
any tips on how I can learn to build minis

Don't start with the Phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still relatively new to the hobby and some great advice has already been provided, so I'll just add what I've learned: half (or more) of the experience is actually building the figures. I don't personally know anyone that plays miniature games who *hates* building, configuring and/or painting the figures, but maybe that's unusual.

In other words, don't look at the building part as this awful thing you need to "get through" in order to play. Embrace it as part of the experience. I've been doing it now for 3+ years and I still learn new techniques or tricks every time I assemble something. The amount of knowledge and experience available (here and online in general) is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanical aspects are covered pretty well. The most important thing is to get some plastic model cement, either Testors gel or some sort of liquid cement. Not superglue.

Before you build, it is recommended that you get out a baking tray, and rinse each sprue in some detergent water to remove any residual oils on the plastic.

Start with simple models (Prologue), and move to complex ones last (Phoenix). Build one thing at a time, so you aren't inundated with loose, disorganized parts.

Take your time - you have plenty of it. A mistake caused by rushing the build to save a few seconds will only lead to tears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Beidelman
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks, guys!

I really am excited for the game to get here and I'm looking forward to assembling as well. I appreciate the tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
I'm still relatively new to the hobby and some great advice has already been provided, so I'll just add what I've learned: half (or more) of the experience is actually building the figures. I don't personally know anyone that plays miniature games who *hates* building, configuring and/or painting the figures, but maybe that's unusual.

In other words, don't look at the building part as this awful thing you need to "get through" in order to play. Embrace it as part of the experience. I've been doing it now for 3+ years and I still learn new techniques or tricks every time I assemble something. The amount of knowledge and experience available (here and online in general) is amazing.

Well put! I must admit that it was a lot of fun trying to figure out how the Lonely Tree fit together. It was with great satisfaction that I put the last piece on, without any help from outside sources... Now it is primed and awaiting paint on my desk. I just have one other project in front of it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
aereuske wrote:

... or the Lonely Tree like I did... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the FLGS and buy miniatures on a multipiece sprue. I don't see what games you own, so can't make any recommendations for specific kits. Yes, you ARE out of your depth, and you'll want to assemble other miniatures before you get the KDM ones out. Also read up on mold lines if you're thinking of painting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Order or borrow, read, take notes and implement solutions from this book called "Fail Better: Design Smart Mistakes and Succeed Sooner" to prepare for some very challenging adventures and encounters in your upcoming KDM-campaigns!

Quote:
If you’re aiming to innovate or to survive your initial Kingdom Death campaign(s), failure along the way is a given. But can you fail better?

Whether you’re rolling out a new product from a city-view office or rolling up your sleeves to deliver a social service in the field, or are about to confront the monstrosities the world of Kingdom Death has to offer, learning why and how to embrace failure can help you do better, faster. Smart leaders, entrepreneurs, Kingdom Death survivors and change agents design their innovation projects with a key idea in mind: ensure that every failure is maximally useful.

In Fail Better, Anjali Sastry and Kara Penn show how to create the conditions, culture, and habits to systematically, ruthlessly, and quickly figure out what works, in four steps:
1. Launch every innovation project with the right groundwork
2. Build and refine ideas and products through iterative action
3. Identify and embed the learning
4. Maximize the consequences of chosen endeavors

Fail Better teaches you how to design your efforts to test the boundaries of your thinking, explore crucial interdependencies, how to survive the hard conditions your settlement has to face and find the factors that can shift results from just acceptable to groundbreaking—or even world-changing. Practical instructions intertwined with compelling real-world examples show you how to:
• Make predictions and map system relationships ahead of time so you can better assess results
• Establish how much failure you can afford
• Prioritize project activities for disconfirmation and iteration
• Learn from every action step by collecting and examining the right data
• Support efficient, productive habits to link action and reflection
• Distill, share, and embed the lessons from every success and failure
Recognize patterns of the actions by quarries and nemesises to anticipate certain possible outcomes of encounters

You may be a Fortune 500 manager, scrappy start-up innovator, social impact visionary, a determined coldblooded Kingdom Death backer or simply leading your own small project. If you aim to break through without breaking the bank—or ruining your reputation—this book is for you.

Edit:devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
aereuske wrote:

Yeah. The phoenix is a tough mini.

If you'd like some practice with non-Kingdom Death stuff, I suggest picking up something from Malifaux. Their kits are very similar to Kingdom Death kits in terms of assembly.

One big thing- dry fit everything before you glue it, and clean off the sprue and flash as you go (sometimes cleaning is necessary for a tight fit).

If you want to learn to paint miniatures, I recommend getting some Reaper Bones minis- they're surprisingly good minis for the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
t3clis wrote:
aereuske wrote:

Yeah. The phoenix is a tough mini.

If you'd like some practice with non-Kingdom Death stuff, I suggest picking up something from Malifaux. Their kits are very similar to Kingdom Death kits in terms of assembly.

One big thing- dry fit everything before you glue it, and clean off the sprue and flash as you go (sometimes cleaning is necessary for a tight fit).

If you want to learn to paint miniatures, I recommend getting some Reaper Bones minis- they're surprisingly good minis for the price.

Yeah, if you can put together a Malifaux kit you can definitely handle the KD armor kits. They're not the greatest for practicing gap filling, but you probably don't want to do that unless you're painting them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux even has a couple multi-part kits similar to the KDM armor kits:

https://smile.amazon.com/Through-Breach-RPG-Female-Multi-Par...
https://smile.amazon.com/Wyrd-Miniatures-Malifaux-Through-Mu...

Might want a pair of tweezers too. I did not expect the pieces to be that small, jeez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gokufan wrote:
Yeah, if you can put together a Malifaux kit you can definitely handle the KD armor kits.

By Yan Lo's beard, that's a high bar to clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
riffraff wrote:
Malifaux even has a couple multi-part kits similar to the KDM armor kits:

https://smile.amazon.com/Through-Breach-RPG-Female-Multi-Par...
https://smile.amazon.com/Wyrd-Miniatures-Malifaux-Through-Mu...

Might want a pair of tweezers too. I did not expect the pieces to be that small, jeez.

The first time I bought minis I was kind of shocked by just how mini they were when I opened the package. A lot of first time hobbyists are probably in for a surprise (or maybe my brain is just broken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go buy some Malifaux boxes to train. Nothing will ever beat that. So many small parts. A single goblin ear or beard for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want to practice cutting away flash, filing down pegs so pieces fit together, removing mould lines, and filling gaps, pick up the Shadows of Brimstone core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Go buy some Malifaux boxes to train. Nothing will ever beat that. So many small parts. A single goblin ear or beard for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vibrant Lantern has a nice page on getting started, as well as assembly instructions for (i think) all of the core box minis. Helped me decide what tools I should have on hand and a basic idea of how to start (e.g. marking parts on a piece of paper to help with planning, etc). Although I've assembled minis before (Reaper), KDM minis can be a lot more complicated with many more (and much smaller) pieces. So read up on Vibrant Lantern.

I have sprue cutters, files, glue, tweezers, a hand drill, and a head-mounted magnifying lens. Some green stuff can also help with filling in gaps. Citadel makes a liquid green stuff that is pretty good at filling in very fine gaps.

Otherwise, you learn by doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a nice modelling kit that has all the necessities, though tbh I’m not sure if it worth upgrading to a better knife and cutters since they are pretty cheap. They work fine on my gunpla but haven’t tried them on a real kit yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
aereuske wrote:

Start with Lonely Tree right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.