1 , 2  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: An Incredibly Late Start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Chu
msg tools
I'm thinking of getting into Myth:

Negative reviews aside the mini's look like the perfect mix between terrifying and adorable so I am willing to give this game a shot.
Any tips on how to get started? (what expansions/extra minions to buy, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal W
msg tools
Your best bet at the moment (if you're willing to fully commit) would be to look for someone selling their Kickstarter pledge (that's what I did). If you just get a base game box then getting the various little expansions might be more difficult than you'd like but it would also be the most prudent since it's less costly if you actually don't like it.

It's within the realm of possibility that the license for Myth will be sold to another company and that that company will do a new print run of everything, so you could wait. It's also possible that the license will not go anywhere and there will not be any future production of any of it. So it's a gamble either choice you make.

But for what it's worth I really enjoy the game and think it's a smashing fun time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
COVFEFE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice above, but I'll just add that if you are just thinking about starting into the game, then look for the base game only for now. Preferably a copy with the V2.0 rules. If not, you want to secure a copy of the V2.0 rules before you begin to play.

After that, just grab a friend or two and play. If you like it great, by the time you have got through even half of the base game content, hopefully this whole kickstarter/IP mess is cleared up and you can go from there if you love the game.

It really is fun and worth trying out. Really a different experience from anything else I can think of with the way the characters deck works. Enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is go for it! I have only been playing Myth this year but it is a very unique game with beautiful mechanics. The rules and cards are mainly downloadable and many people on this forum have done a fantastic job in producing content and trying to hold support for the game together. Reading through the forum will be extremely informative and just ignore the negativity is what I would suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mevio Signore Delle Fiamme
msg tools
mbmb
I also got myth only recently and while I haven't played much I'd say that the base box only feels a little incomplete. It would be better imo if you could grab some extras. The major issue to me is that sometimes the amount of minis are simply not enough. Even the stone of life base module in act3 tells you to place 3 big monsters of which you only have 2 in the box.

Elseway, if you're used to it and are fairly committed, I'd say get the base box and either home print or get printed some of the MANY cards you can download both officially and fan made and get some proxys for the minis.

But it really depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much you think you're going to play the game, just keep in mind (as someone already said) that if you get the base game only it might be difficult to find extra expansions and stuff for sale.

Whatever you do the game is fun! Best dungeon crawler i've played (haven't played many though). Miniatures truly are gorgeous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason S
msg tools
growill wrote:
I also got myth only recently and while I haven't played much I'd say that the base box only feels a little incomplete. It would be better imo if you could grab some extras. The major issue to me is that sometimes the amount of minis are simply not enough. Even the stone of life base module in act3 tells you to place 3 big monsters of which you only have 2 in the box.

Elseway, if you're used to it and are fairly committed, I'd say get the base box and either home print or get printed some of the MANY cards you can download both officially and fan made and get some proxys for the minis.

But it really depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much you think you're going to play the game, just keep in mind (as someone already said) that if you get the base game only it might be difficult to find extra expansions and stuff for sale.

Whatever you do the game is fun! Best dungeon crawler i've played (haven't played many though). Miniatures truly are gorgeous

Other major issue regarding the incompleteness of the main box is that the only miniboss has an ability that requires enemies who are sold separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
My experience is that there's plenty of people selling bits and pieces of the game. Even for a bargain. I bought a little too much and had to sell off some as it seldom hits the table. Not that it's bad, it's more a matter of time.

Try getting some skeletons (minions and captains) and rats if you're about to play the downloadable Revenant module. Stone of life is only missing one scorpion (captain). That should be enough for a while if you're not playing every weekend that is. Fun game, if a little rules heavy at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason S
msg tools
Belloque wrote:
My experience is that there's plenty of people selling bits and pieces of the game. Even for a bargain. I bought a little too much and had to sell off some as it seldom hits the table. Not that it's bad, it's more a matter of time.

Try getting some skeletons (minions and captains) and rats if you're about to play the downloadable Revenant module. Stone of life is only missing one scorpion (captain). That should be enough for a while if you're not playing every weekend that is. Fun game, if a little rules heavy at first.

This would also address the miniboss issue as the skeleton enemies are the ones the main box miniboss summons. Good call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the health of the company and the continuing of the game is in doubt, I'd look for a kickstarter pledge on eBay as said above. Furthermore, be aware that learning this game tends to take a lot of study and video watching. The manual(s) aren't great.

The game itself is fun and unique, but don't expect support or further products from Megacon. If we're lucky they will sell out to somebody who will take better care of the fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd advice to be cautious. Watch the videos on the MCG. The gameplay you see there IS the game - fullstop.

It is not a Dungeon Crawler - even though it looks like one. It is a tactical minis game. If you want anything more RPG-lite or dungeon crawly out of it, you'll have to do come up with the rules yourself.

Much of the b***hurt and backlash on this forum comes from people who approached this with the wrong expectations - or wanted it to be like D&D or Shadow of Brimestone or Descent or you name it.

If you're hoping MYTH can replace those games, you're probably wrong - unless you invest a lot of time, energy and love and craft an actual game around the awesome core that is MYTH's mechanics.

I'd buy a cheap base game on ebay and give it a go. Investing in MYTH atm is a gamble at best and if you don't have fun with the base game, sell it and move on - no hard feelings.

Believe me, it hurts to write stuff like this about a game I absolutely love.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

Much of the b***hurt and backlash on this forum comes from people who approached this with the wrong expectations - or wanted it to be like D&D or Shadow of Brimestone or Descent or you name it.

You're not wrong there, but it was kind of marketed as being similar to these games. Even the designers didn't seem sure of what kind of game they were making, or at the least they diluted their product to include these elements. So it's not that surprising that some people came into this wanting it to be Warhammer Quest 2.0, when it clearly wasn't meant to be that. Blurbs on the back of the box about 'stories' certainly sent mixed messages.

Also I'd suggest that much of what you term the 'backlash' isn't at the game (which has plenty of issues but that's beside the point) but at the intransigence of MCG. The JM KS has run aground and nobody knows if it will be fulfilled. That's bound to sour a lot of people to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:

You're not wrong there, but it was kind of marketed as being similar to these games. Even the designers didn't seem sure of what kind of game they were making, or at the least they diluted their product to include these elements.

I cannot agree with this. Coincidentally this is why I couldn't get behind many of the original complaints thrown at MCG after KS 1. The first KS was very clear that this game was not a copy of Descent (and it came before SoB) if you did anything more than just skim the KS page. Any of the videos made it very clear that the game was completely different than the games that came before it.

The fact that so many people jumped on in the last day of the KS without doing proper research is a mistake that does not lie at MCG's feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:

You're not wrong there, but it was kind of marketed as being similar to these games. Even the designers didn't seem sure of what kind of game they were making, or at the least they diluted their product to include these elements.

I cannot agree with this. Coincidentally this is why I couldn't get behind many of the original complaints thrown at MCG after KS 1. The first KS was very clear that this game was not a copy of Descent (and it came before SoB) if you did anything more than just skim the KS page. Any of the videos made it very clear that the game was completely different than the games that came before it.

The fact that so many people jumped on in the last day of the KS without doing proper research is a mistake that does not lie at MCG's feet.

Come on, the game box itself implies that you're going to "make your own stories" and I think there is even an image of a campfire where supposedly your group is spinning a yarn about your epic adventures.

I agree that's not the game we have, and that the game we have is a great game, but it's not THAT game, AND it's a game that wasn't properly tested or polished. I agree that not only did people buy it with the wrong idea of what it was, that idea was actually promoted by Megacon. But they didn't promote it in their videos. Watch that and you'll see exactly what the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:

Come on, the game box itself implies that you're going to "make your own stories" and I think there is even an image of a campfire where supposedly your group is spinning a yarn about your epic adventures.

I don't see how that disagrees with what I said in any way. That agrees with what I am saying. Descent is not a game where you create your own stories at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristabelle wrote:
All I can say is go for it! I have only been playing Myth this year but it is a very unique game with beautiful mechanics. The rules and cards are mainly downloadable and many people on this forum have done a fantastic job in producing content and trying to hold support for the game together. Reading through the forum will be extremely informative and just ignore the negativity is what I would suggest.

What Kristabelle and everybody else said that have been positive. It's really good, get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:

This is from the MCG-page as of today:

"Myth is a fully co-operative fantasy game. Players take on the role of one of 5 different heroes working together to defeat the Darkness. Each hero has a different skill set which represented by a unique deck of cards. Players’ avatars within a Story are called Heroes. Myth Heroes are clothed in immense power, able to reave all but the mightiest foes.

Heroes are controlled through an intuitive Hero Deck. Each deck plays uniquely and allows players more freedom of action and the ability to truly impact the Story each and every Act. Yet, cooperation is the key to victory and bloody fortune. Players must communicate, interact, and assist each other or surely the Darkness will cover all.

No player controlling the Darkness. The Darkness is governed by a set of rules unique to each Boss Deck and is activated through Hero actions. If the Heroes get overzealous, then the Darkness pushes back by activating Lairs, spawning Captains, and punishing the Heroes with devious Events. If the Heroes take a more subtle approach, then the Darkness reacts by reducing the potential for treasure and rewards. Without the treasures and equipment to upgrade, the Heroes will find each Act more difficult and eventually fail. The dynamic nature of the Darkness really lends a more fluid feel to the Story. Players aren’t being driven by properties out of their control, nor are they being shepherded by a person whose skill has a direct impact on the enjoyment of the game.

Myth is a fun fantasy romp where players feel truly heroic. In the playing of the game, the players are creating their own mythos. These stories are the ones carried away from the table, becoming myths themselves. And these are the myths, with friends and family, that we carry with us; telling and retelling our endeavors at the mead benches, earning treasured smiles and laughter.
"

http://megacongames.com/games/myth/

Add to that the inventory list of the game: Quest cards, hero, trap cards, etc.

Add to that the fact, that the box says "MYTH - the boardgame".

Look at that picture and tell me again that you're NOT thinking fantasy dungeon crawler. shake

I'm not blaming MCG. I'm not blaming those disappointed buyers.

All I'm saying is, that it is quite easy to mistake MYTH for a game it is not and I think it is important to make potential newcomers aware of that fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chu
msg tools
So what what i'm seeing is that the game itself is more of a tactical battle game rather than a fantasy dungeon crawler, that being said is it the kind of game that can be enjoyed with a group of friends over multiple sessions? Like how much scaling is there with your heroes? Cause I know with the dark souls board game there was quite a bit of that where after each new encounter you got a little stronger, and I've been looking for a game in which your character is constantly evolving into a more efficient killing machine, but on the flip-side the enemies are also scaling in difficulty. Is Myth the kind of game that would offer that gameplay experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatal_Pillow wrote:
So what what i'm seeing is that the game itself is more of a tactical battle game rather than a fantasy dungeon crawler, that being said is it the kind of game that can be enjoyed with a group of friends over multiple sessions? Like how much scaling is there with your heroes? Cause I know with the dark souls board game there was quite a bit of that where after each new encounter you got a little stronger, and I've been looking for a game in which your character is constantly evolving into a more efficient killing machine, but on the flip-side the enemies are also scaling in difficulty. Is Myth the kind of game that would offer that gameplay experience?

There is no real experience system, but there are ways to improve over time. The best way is card swaps with better cards, some of which come in the original box, some of which in the Journeyman boxes. That gives you a subtle boost in power. You may have to decide when to award them to your characters though. Second is equipment. Theoretically you're supposed to get to KEEP a piece of equipment between adventures if you get a title which theoretically is the result of beating a boss or from some quests or from some adventures. But again, the system is not that well thought out so you may have to manage your own increases in capability. The titles themselves are a special power some of which are very powerful indeed and some are more subtle. So those are the three ways that characters can become more powerful over time.

But it's not really a progression game and that stuff is pretty much grafted on. Fun but not integral to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

I'm not blaming MCG. I'm not blaming those disappointed buyers.
All I'm saying is, that it is quite easy to mistake MYTH for a game it is not and I think it is important to make potential newcomers aware of that fact.

Absolutely.

From the beginning, the concepts got muddied. They clearly wanted to make a tactical minis game (their background is in Mercs after all so they were playing to their strengths) but during the first Kickstarter and development, more and more people wanted RPG elements.

So they added rather half-hearted progression elements, which didn't really satisfy either side. They should have just gone with their original idea and told people that they didn't really set the game up for that. Instead, we ended up with an odd game that's not really one thing or another. The game is full of good ideas and cool concepts but conceptually it's all over the place, and blurbs about 'stories' really don't help in marketing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatal_Pillow wrote:
So what what i'm seeing is that the game itself is more of a tactical battle game rather than a fantasy dungeon crawler

Absolutely. It's not a 'dungeon crawler' in any capacity (some fans like Tobi have made variants with exploration play, however)

Fatal_Pillow wrote:

I've been looking for a game in which your character is constantly evolving into a more efficient killing machine, but on the flip-side the enemies are also scaling in difficulty. Is Myth the kind of game that would offer that gameplay experience?

Not really. There are some wonky progression elements but they sit very uneasily with the rest of the game and many feel they are unsatisfying. And it scales rather poorly.

Myth is good at what it does best, but if you want a 'looting and levelling' game you'd be better advised to look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It might help to think about it this way. In a game like Descent, you have an overlord to handle the game elements and (depending on how the overlord wants to play it) to be either a DM or an adversary to the players.

In Myth, you are your own DM. Why does this work? Well because in adventure mode/freeform mode you are responsible for deciding how to populate the tiles (how challenging a battle do you want). In the Megacon videos they do exactly this and talk about it. Hey what if we try to handle this boss with fairly junior characters? Are you up for it? Yeah, let's do it.

How really different is it to add to that the responsibility to decide when your characters deserve a title or a card swap or to keep a piece of equipment? Essentially, the "campaign" type that is truly native to Myth is a player managed campaign where you are deciding how you want the character to progress over time, not because of any particular event which causes the game to TELL you that you deserve some reward. This concept of player managed experience is unique to Myth.

But it's alien to the normal gamer. We are used to games telling us what the monsters do, when we've done something right, and when we deserve rewards. In some sense, this is lazy design because working out a "system" for rewards for you to use as a framework would have been welcome even to players who are OK with managing this on their own. But it's also in the spirit of the game. But you have to be OK with taking on the responsibility as players in deciding how the progression is going to work and not everyone is (or necessarily should be).

So I'll say what I've said before and say that there's a good game here and a lot of fun, but it's an odd game for those of us used to normal dungeon crawlers and it's not for everyone. It's kind of a high overhead sort of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is designed to be played over multiple sessions, for sure. There definitely is scaling for your heroes by collecting new equipment and cards, but the scaling can take quite a bit of time if you play it with the rules as written. The Journeyman expansion increase this scalability.

One thing Myth doesn't really offer on any level is scalable enemies. Sure, some of the enemies are much easier to combat than others, but they do not increase in power as you do using some type of variable. Instead, you have to figure out, over the course of games how to create a challenge that works for your group.

This is one of the most controversial parts of the game, but if you are up for it, also one of my favorite parts as well. The freedom of the system can be very cool and also off-putting for some players.

That said, here is what I have done to increase the scalability of heroes when I teach and play the game. I throw the loot reset rules out the window and just keep gear that people pick up (I see absolutely no problem with this since you can set the difficulty to correspond anyways). I usually play free exploration in the sense that I come up with some type of story hook that I explain to the players that will be our focus for the play session. For example, my go to set up to teach new players is to place us on a big half field leading to a cavern tile. I then explain that we are looking to clear out the cave of enemies to protect a nearby settlement. We play this idea out over a few tiles (three or four), usually ending with a 12x12 with double lairs.

Then, instead of using the rules as written for card advancement, I allow each player to add a new advanced card to their deck after each session (rather than after three sessions). This is around the perfect amount of progression for me and it works pretty well to allow you to experience new cards and the journeyman content without progression taking ages.

That all said, progression in Myth is much more gradual and slower than in other games. When you add a new card, you are literally only making your deck 1/25th better. New items will make you feel much more powerful, especially the jump to blue items and beyond as they have much more powerful abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
This concept of player managed experience is unique to Myth.

Couldn't agree more David, it is a unique system that makes learning the game even more difficult because not only are you trying to figure out the rules, you're trying to figure out how to create a satisfying experience for the players.

That said, this was part of the Myth pitch from the very beginning and I don't necessarily see it as a lazy game design - more a deliberate choice on what the game is supposed to be. As Marcus pointed out above, though, now the expected content of Journeyman should walk this choice back and create more of the "canned" module experiences for those people who desired that.

I have played through both of the JM modules and found them pretty good if you throw out the ridiculous lost and sailing rules. I hope that if the rest of the modules ever arrive they are of the same quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chu
msg tools
Ahhhh, thats actually really good at clearing things up, thanks!
I'm relatively new to board-games in general (really just going off of Mice and Mystics and the Dark Souls Board Game for reference points) Is myth at all similar to either of these games. I particularly liked the Dark Souls Game for the cooperative gameplay, boss fights and the miniatures. From what I can tell Myth has some pretty epic bosses. However, does the gameplay of Myth share any similarities with these two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason S
msg tools
One other thing to keep in mind is that only the bosses have difficulty ratings which makes it more challenging to determine how difficult you are making the game based on your enemy choices. Basically, you just have to play and get a "feel" for the different enemy times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.