Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So apparently the destruction of Puerto Rican infrastructure by hurricanes is their own fault.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/26/trump-puerto...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there ant subject Trump can't Twitterwank on?
I guess no one bothered to inform him they're also part of the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Ant subject

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE WALL STREET BANKS?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess his tweets could be read that way, but it just seemed to me that he was emphasizing just how dire their circumstances are.
*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Styro wrote:
I guess his tweets could be read that way, but it just seemed to me that he was emphasizing just how dire their circumstances are.
*shrug*
The only time he mentioned "sadness" (aka empathy) was in regards to banks and the money they are owed. No "sadness" for the people, no regard to the actual human situation, it's just "sad" that PR's debts must be dealt with.

This is "Tone-Deaf Idiocy 101" right here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Styro wrote:
*shrug*
The only time he mentioned "sadness" (aka empathy) was in regards to banks and the money they are owed. No "sadness" for the people, no regard to the actual human situation, it's just "sad" that PR's debts must be dealt with.

This is "Tone-Deaf Idiocy 101" right here.

Exactly. His words show no empathy for a desperate population's suffering, and only an expression of annoyance at having to help them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:

And no matter what Trump says or does, there's an apologist for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Styro wrote:
*shrug*

Why would the President bring up how much Puerto Rico owes banks when talking about the catastrophe there? Shouldn't his entire focus be on the immediate? He's pandering to someone there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Ant subject

Remind me not to post on phones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you will see what you want to see. I'm not going to defend or apologize for Trump because I think he is a buffoon.

I just don't see the reason for outrage on these tweets. I believe they are poorly worded (as most of what comes out of his mouth is). A polished politician would be able to say the same thing in a better way. A lawyer would probably carefully review the wording to make sure it could be misconstrued as little as possible. And I wish that Trump would have his words reviewed before spewing them out.

But even then it seems to me that only a willful misreading of his words would lead one to believe that he is condemning Puerto Rico and feeling sad for Wall Street.

To me his tweets do show empathy - he emphasizes just how desperate the situation is there. They were already struggling with poor infrastructure and debt which makes it even more difficult to rebuild, particularly in comparison to Texas and Florida. It makes it even more sad that PR's debt will become even greater.

Then he ends on a positive note, that despite these difficulties they are at least doing OK with the basic necessities of food, water, and medical supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an apologist by any means, but it could be a stream-of-consciousness tweet. Like:

"Hey, Florida and Texas are doing well, I wonder why Puerto Rico is having such a hard time? Must be their crumbling infrastructure, I wonder why that isn't maintained? Must be their debt. Yeah, that's it."

Then all of this gets put into twitter without thinking about how it sounds, whether its true or not, etc. He tweets what he thinks and never thinks about needing to think about what he thinks....

A helpful guide to some of this is the reflective judgment scale

http://umich.edu/~refjudg/reflectivejudgmentstages.html

I work with the statistician who has done numerous studies on this. Most PhDs get to stage 6, and some to stage 7 (which is surprisingly rare).

Entering college freshman at pubic universities are around stage 3 or 4. I would say Trump is 4. The general populace in the US, on average, is below 4 -- many in the 2 to 3 range.

This forum is probably mostly post BA and some graduate school, so level 5+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
Then he ends on a positive note, that despite these difficulties they are at least doing OK with the basic necessities of food, water, and medical supplies.

This simply cannot be true, btw, based on reports of people having to drink swimming pool water, washing their clothes in dirty puddles, and lining up to bottle river run-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
It keeps in step with Puerto Ricans' present-day colonial subject status: they have their decision making taken away, but still to blame for their shortcomings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
I guess you will see what you want to see. I'm not going to defend or apologize for Trump because I think he is a buffoon.

I just don't see the reason for outrage on these tweets. I believe they are poorly worded (as most of what comes out of his mouth is). A polished politician would be able to say the same thing in a better way. A lawyer would probably carefully review the wording to make sure it could be misconstrued as little as possible. And I wish that Trump would have his words reviewed before spewing them out.

But even then it seems to me that only a willful misreading of his words would lead one to believe that he is condemning Puerto Rico and feeling sad for Wall Street.

To me his tweets do show empathy - he emphasizes just how desperate the situation is there. They were already struggling with poor infrastructure and debt which makes it even more difficult to rebuild, particularly in comparison to Texas and Florida. It makes it even more sad that PR's debt will become even greater.

And your explanation for waiting five days while he tweeted about the NFL? And not allowing the same relaxation of rules as for Texas and Florida? And other things that show a complete failure at even pretending to be a decent human being?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Styro wrote:

But they aren't doing okay. Trump really is the purveyor of fake news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
I'm not an apologist by any means,

Hmm.

Quote:
but it could be a stream-of-consciousness tweet.

"But it could be" is pretty much the poster child for being an apologist.

Quote:
Like:

"Hey, Florida and Texas are doing well, I wonder why Puerto Rico is having such a hard time? Must be their crumbling infrastructure, I wonder why that isn't maintained? Must be their debt. Yeah, that's it."

Then all of this gets put into twitter without thinking about how it sounds, whether its true or not, etc. He tweets what he thinks and never thinks about needing to think about what he thinks....

No, I think that's a fail. For a start it's a strange sort of non- reflective thought my that takes five days.

Quote:
A helpful guide to some of this is the reflective judgment scale

http://umich.edu/~refjudg/reflectivejudgmentstages.html

I work with the statistician who has done numerous studies on this. Most PhDs get to stage 6, and some to stage 7 (which is surprisingly rare).

Entering college freshman at pubic universities are around stage 3 or 4. I would say Trump is 4. The general populace in the US, on average, is below 4 -- many in the 2 to 3 range.

This forum is probably mostly post BA and some graduate school, so level 5+

Yes, Trump might be tweeting what he thinks. Guess what, still a fail. Failure to do the job competently (which requires though before making postings that can have life or death consequences) and failure as a human being. You know what most people's reactions are to a disaster? Sympathy. Sometimes misfiring sympathy (people, say, expressing sympathy about a minor aspect of the problem, missing the big picture) but sympathy nevertheless. Getting the sympathy not quite right, yes, posting too quickly not thinking. It happens. Missing the whole point, that's revealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
And your explanation for waiting five days while he tweeted about the NFL? And not allowing the same relaxation of rules as for Texas and Florida? And other things that show a complete failure at even pretending to be a decent human being?

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with these particular tweets. And I never claimed that Trump was a decent human being. I happen to believe that he is not. I just think there is a lot of purposeful overreaction on this one. That is all.

I think it is counter-productive to invent (IMO) outrage on what could be considered by a normal person to be reasonable series of tweets. It gives more fuel to his supporters that believe everything he says is being twisted by the media. There is enough stupidity coming out of his mouth that can be used for that purpose. Stretching to make the point detracts from the message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Styro wrote:

Well I don't know the truthfulness of what he is saying. I'm just saying it could be interpreted that way. Maybe he was trying to look for something positive to add at the end and said at least in those areas they were "OK" (ie. not great). Dunno. It has been difficult to me to get a lot of information out of PR at this point on exactly how they are doing. One anecdote either way does not really prove anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with these particular tweets. And I never claimed that Trump was a decent human being. I happen to believe that he is not. I just think there is a lot of purposeful overreaction on this one. That is all.

I think it is counter-productive to invent (IMO) outrage on what could be considered by a normal person to be reasonable series of tweets. It gives more fuel to his supporters that believe everything he says is being twisted by the media. There is enough stupidity coming out of his mouth that can be used for that purpose. Stretching to make the point detracts from the message.

To be honest, last night when I saw the tweets, I said to my husband "Well at least he's finally going to do something about it, even if he still comes across as a total dick about it."

So yeah, it's good news, but it's hard to shake the idea that Trump wouldn't be doing crap about Puerto Rico if there weren't people over his shoulder telling him what devastating blowback he'd get if he didn't.

Trump seems to be like many people in our country who honestly don't give a crap about Puerto Rico, and who probably don't consider them "real Americans." Thus, the amazing, overwhelming news coverage and fundraising efforts after Harvey and Irma, and the relative silence and apathy after Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron - if this wee a couple of tweets by some random individual who just opened up an account, your willingness to assume the best might (might) be reasonable.

In the context of Trump's behavior, you really to come off as an apologist, at best. Implying that Trump meant well but simply poorly worded his tweets or didn't think them through goes against two plus years of hate, filth, and an utter lack of sympathy or compassion for those less fortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Styro. I think folks are taking a relatively negative read on mostly neutral tweets.

Sure, he didn't express empathy and that's a knock but I don't read them as negative otherwise.

I also think people are overreacting to these tweets.

I'm no expert but didn't puerto rican voters vote to keep their colonial status over statehood recently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I agree with Styro. I think folks are taking a relatively negative read on mostly neutral tweets.

Sure, he didn't express empathy and that's a knock but I don't read them as negative otherwise.

I also think people are overreacting to these tweets.

I'm no expert but didn't puerto rican voters vote to keep their colonial status over statehood recently?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/11/532482957/...

Quote:
June 11, 2017

Puerto Ricans overwhelmingly voted for U.S. statehood for their island in a nonbinding referendum on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
Styro wrote:

Well I don't know the truthfulness of what he is saying. I'm just saying it could be interpreted that way. Maybe he was trying to look for something positive to add at the end and said at least in those areas they were "OK" (ie. not great). Dunno. It has been difficult to me to get a lot of information out of PR at this point on exactly how they are doing. One anecdote either way does not really prove anything.

Try the Times

Quote:
Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló of Puerto Rico said on Monday that the island was on the brink of a “humanitarian crisis” nearly a week after Hurricane Maria knocked out its power and most of its water, and left residents waiting in excruciating lines for fuel. He called on Congress to prevent a deepening disaster.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/puerto-rico-maria-fema...

or CNN

Quote:
Puerto Rico's energy grid took such a severe blow from Hurricane Maria, a Category 4 storm, that the entire system is down. That means more than 3 million American citizens are without electricity.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/us/puerto-rico-satellite-image...

Or the like. Doesn't seem to be too hard to get news on how truly devastating the hurricane was and how bad the situation still is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
It has been difficult to me to get a lot of information out of PR at this point on exactly how they are doing. One anecdote either way does not really prove anything.

Well then I suggest you take your head out of the sand.

The Crisis at Puerto Rico's Hospitals

Quote:
The generators and diesel fuel that hospitals are using in the meantime are stretched thin and in short supply. Reuters reported that, at one hospital, fuel is being delivered by armed guards to prevent looting. Without power and running water, both ordinary people and medical facilities can’t do tasks as simple as keeping medications refrigerated or sanitizing equipment.

The mayor of San Juan said two people on life support died Monday because their hospital ran out of fuel, according to CBS’s David Begnaud.

Jose Sanchez Gonzalez, the mayor of a town called Manati, said Sunday that “the hospital is about to collapse. It’s at capacity. We need someone to help us immediately.”

A doctor at Canovanas Medical Center told CNN that it only had two to three days left of medical supplies. There are few gas stations operating, so nurses and doctors are having trouble reaching work.

“We have very limited power, with the air conditioning is off, and the temperature is unbearable, and the operating room is all wet with approximately half an inch of water, it’s very slippery, it’s very unsafe,” Iván González Cancel, a cardiovascular surgeon at the Centro Cardiovascular in San Juan, told Reuters TV. “If you are sick in Puerto Rico ... the best thing is to get on a plane and abandon the island.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.