Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo Cunha
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everybody.

I just bought the two core boxes which I haven't played yet but after seeing the videos on youtube I am sure this is the game for me.

I just noticed today that there are a billion expansions for the game as well as the Forbidden Fortress kickstarter.

In your opinion, would it be more important to buy this as a 3rd core game or would the current price tag for it - 125 dollars - be worth it to spend on expansions to both of my incoming base games (City and Swamps)?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the Japanese theme, I would go with the kickstarter. You'll get a lot more stuff for your money than if you bought the western theme stuff retail.

BUT...be ready to wait a few years for it to show up, I'm talking 2-3 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In term of "bang for buck", late backing the Forbidden Fortress KS is a no-brainer. That said, starve for a month and go full Shogun if you can.

However, if you want stuff -now- (which is doubtful, since you haven't played your cores yet), then getting expansions might make more sense. And before you ask:

Frontier Towns
Whatever catches your fancy thematically after that (want more Otherworlds, more support for the two you have, more generic stuff).

And don't forget the exclusive cards on the FFG site! They often have "buy 2 get 1 free" sales, which if you do in bulk could help on S&H maybe?

EDIT: Also, look at the Hexcrawl stuff that's free on this site. I'm not involved with it, but it adds a whole new layer to the game (that Frontier Towns probably should've included from the start).

EDIT EDIT: just in case.... You do know this game is not pre-assembled, and you'll have to cut/glue/paint everything? (I mention this solely because some people have been disappointed when they discovered this after purchasing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the base games. You will get plenty of play with those. There are lots of expansions, so when you have reached a point where you want more, you can make a decision from there. If you are looking for a variety of enemies, get an enemy pack. If you want to explore new worlds, get Cynder or Treddera. If you want to expand the town stays between missions, go with the Frontier Town expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I doubt it will take 2-3 years for FoFo to be delivered. The Frogs are still aiming to have things delivered according to the original KS delivery (and they're handling this KS in a very different way from the first KS, so delivery shouldn't take as long as the first KS's delivery). At worst, I expect delivery delays due to Chinese New Year, pushing things back maybe as much as 6 months, but if we don't have things delivered by this time next year, I'll be very surprised.

And yeah, if you like the theme, definitely go for FoFo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Cunha
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your answers everybody and thanks for the tips on which expansions to get for my core games.

I really like the Feudal Japan theme and I was just looking into the Shogun pledge. 350 is way more than I can afford and it's 50 more then the KS. As for the date I seem to see March 2018, are they known for having huge delays? Do you guys think 350 is a good deal compared to the future retail price? I have absolutely no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first KS's stretch goals took a lot longer to develop than they initially realized, partly because they weren't expecting at first to have that many stretch goals, so when the Kickstarter was over, they suddenly realized just how much work they had to do. The initial wave -- the two base sets -- was delivered close to the original date, but it has taken many years to develop and deliver all the other stretch goals (and delivery is currently still ongoing).

The second KS is structured very differently, as they learned from their mistakes. They are, last I spoke with them at PAX a few weeks ago, still on track for the planned delivery date, and judging from all the stuff they've developed, that seems reasonable to me. It could be delayed, especially if manufacturing gets caught up with Chinese New Year, but I don't see a delay of more than three to six months. If we're still waiting for delivery a year from today, I'll be very surprised.

As for the value... yeah, it's a great value. It's not as amazing as the Mine Cart option from the first Kickstarter, but that was insane. This is still a very good deal, and it's one I don't regret making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goremageddon wrote:

I really like the Feudal Japan theme and I was just looking into the Shogun pledge. 350 is way more than I can afford and it's 50 more then the KS.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Seriously, and with compassion, I say you should move on.

But if you're feeling burned at paying an extra $50 for a late pledge... just read on.

Goremageddon wrote:

As for the date I seem to see March 2018, are they known for having huge delays?

They're -still- trying to ship out all the stuff from their first KS. And all promises and talk aside, I'd bet they're going to be ~6 months late. And I expected that before I pledged (you'll just be happier expecting 6 month delays on -any- KS by -anyone-).

Look at this way: to hit that March delivery date, they need to be done with printing everything by end of December/early January. That gives 6 weeks or so to pack and ship everything to the US, and then another 2 weeks or so to get through customs and boxed off and sent to backers. I don't think they'll be ready by then.

At this point though, things look... decent. I figure they'll "miss" their pledge manager release until January, then shucky darn get held up by Chinese New Year in February, and start -printing- sometime in March or April. Meanwhile, they'll hopefully be using the extra time to improve and refine the game. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" to steal a quote.

Goremageddon wrote:

Do you guys think 350 is a good deal compared to the future retail price? I have absolutely no idea.

... okay. Here's why the Shogun is such a damn good deal: MSRP is expected to be "over $900". Figure that existing SoB stuff tends to go for around 25% off at the online discounters (if you're lucky!), and you're looking at $675 to buy everything at retail. Except some of that stuff is KS exclusive.

Even at $300 plus the mean old $50 late backer fee and $30+ S&H (because let's face it, it's going to be expensive), that's a hell of a good deal! You're looking at saving around three hundred bucks over what you'll pay anywhere else, getting all your stuff while others wait for most of it to hit retail, and you can probably resell anything you don't want for some profit (or at least break even).

And finally.... I'm betting -all- of the stuff in the Shogun will retail for closer to $1000, meaning you'll save even more with a Shogun. If you just look at the stuff in the pledge, there's a lot, but there's -more- stuff in the stretch goals!

Sumo isn't a terrible deal, but it doesn't compete with Shogun.

Now, there is a strong possibility that FFP will add some stuff and ask backers to spend an extra $$$ to get the "retail" version. You should probably bite the bullet and do it as it's a good deal. And there's a non 0% chance of some of this hitting retail before you get it (although I'm skeptical, given the backlog of SoB stuff that has yet to hit retailers already). But still... it's a damn good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
And finally.... I'm betting -all- of the stuff in the Shogun will retail for closer to $1000, meaning you'll save even more with a Shogun. If you just look at the stuff in the pledge, there's a lot, but there's -more- stuff in the stretch goals!

My estimate for RRP is around $905 not including the 11 alt sex heroes
Boxed Sets
$100 - Forbidden Fortress Core Set
$80 - Temple of Shadows
$80 - Forest of the Dead

Heroes
*15 - Sumo
*20 - Daimyo & Ashigaru
*15 - Tredarran Veteran

$40 - Allies: Banner Bearer, Ashigaru Conscripts, Ronin Guard, Curious Monkey

Monsters
$20 - Flesh Mites
$25 - Thunder Warriors
$20 - Akaname Tongue Demons
$40 - Onmorake Carrion Phoenix and Scourge Dead
$20 - Takobake Riflemen
$30 - Jorogumo Spider Queen
$15 - Red Ronin
*$15 - Undead Daimyo
*20 - Magma Fiends
*40 Kosugi Master & Ninjas
*20- Bone Eaters
$40 - Fallen Sorcerors & Komuso Summoners
$20 - Temple Dogs
*20 - Acid Blobs
*$25 - Gastral Tyrant
*$15 - Tengu Blind Master
*$35 - Sho-Riu
*$15 - Nobu Taskmaster
*20 - Takobake Cannon

Terrain
$25 - Doorways

Cardsets
$15 - Fortress of the Fallen
$15 - Devoured by Darkness
$15 - Forbidden Fortress Artifacts
$15 - Belly of the Beast Artifacts
$15 - Sacred Mountains

* Might well be more but I took a lowish estimate based on similar items for the initial Kickstarter.

I can't remember off Hand did we unlock the Takobake Samurai and Oni Overseer in the pledge manager?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Cunha
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did it: Late pledge Shogun is mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goremageddon wrote:
I did it: Late pledge Shogun is mine.

So you could afford it after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Cunha
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
I could..with a bit of effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suspect you'll be very happy by this choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.